• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

roxexotics

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
roxi
Hiya Everyone! I have come to the decision that lorikeets are the bird for me! But here are a few things i need to ask for my on going research! :)

DIET:
I need to know all about their diet, at the moment i'm finding it confusing and stressful trying to plan out what i'd feed to prevent iron problems etc. and give them a well balanced and healthy, tasty diet too!

I was wondering if there is a way i can not feed the pre-made lorikeet mixes?

I have found some homemade recipes and have a few questions about those too.
Here is the ingredients/method:Make a dry lorikeet food blend. Mix together 2 cups of rice baby cereal, 2 cups of rice flour, 2 cups of egg and biscuit mix, 1 cup of glucose powder, 1 teaspoon of vitamin-mineral powder and 1 dessert spoon of pollen.
Is this sufficient alongside fresh fruit and veg and honey? And when they refer to "vitamin-mineral powder" is it specifically for birds, or a human one?

And also, what fruit and veg can i feed everyday?

What else would i have to do diet wise, and would you be able to inform me of an appropriate daily diet routine for a rainbow lorikeet? :)

What treats, besides honey, are good for them?

They are all my main questions/concerns atm. I am planning on either building a diy indoor aviary style cage or using an extra large parrot cage. A lot of the day she'll/he'll spend with me. Loads of toys and activities etc. Fresh water available 24/7. And yeahh.

My fav things about lorikeets are; The way they act like caiques, but not as temperamental and moody ;)
How goofy, playful, adorable, and just ahhhhhh idk everything...I love that hey go on their backs to play and wrestle and their noises are so nice. They are also BEAUTIFUL. I just love them so much.

Thanks,
WWR x

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Rice baby cereal is usually iron fortified, at least in the US, which would make me very nervous.

I'm sorry I don't know the answers beyond that!

roxexotics

Real Name
roxi
Oooh Ok, I'll look into that! Maybe I could find one that doesn't, I'll look for other recipes too. Thanks!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@WallyLoopey has two lorikeets if I remember correctly:)
Welcome! It sounds like you are doing a great job researching already:)

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Hey there!

Things you can feed safely DAILY are

Peaches - watermelon - cucumber - apple - pear

I feed Blessings lorikeet nectar and the dry powder, also their insectivore mix.

Avoid all citrus fruits. You may offer plain black tea twice weekly as it is thought tannins block iron absorbtion.

Bananas are relished, but can only be offered as a treat once or twice weekly.

roxexotics

Real Name
roxi
Hiya.
Thank you!!
Can they eat frozen and fresh berries such as raspberries, strawberries..every day or every couple days? And how about honey, how often would you say I could feed that? :)

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I shy away from anything but what I listed above. I don’t feed honey either.
I tend to find that with these guys, less is best. The foods I mentioned have the least amount of iron in them.

Strawberries on occasion wouldn’t hurt (once a week) as a treat.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@WallyLoopey I had a rainbow lorikeet back in the early 70's. I don't remember much about the diet I fed... I mostly remember my dad being extremely disgusted when my bird pooped.... made him gag. :eek: High fruit diet = Onewhoflungpoo. Remind me of the distance they can make poo fly.... I could use a good giggle. :D

roxexotics

Real Name
roxi
I shy away from anything but what I listed above. I don’t feed honey either.
I tend to find that with these guys, less is best. The foods I mentioned have the least amount of iron in them.

Strawberries on occasion wouldn’t hurt (once a week) as a treat.
Ok Thank you!

roxexotics

Real Name
roxi
@WallyLoopey I had a rainbow lorikeet back in the early 70's. I don't remember much about the diet I fed... I mostly remember my dad being extremely disgusted when my bird pooped.... made him gag. :eek: High fruit diet = Onewhoflungpoo. Remind me of the distance they can make poo fly.... I could use a good giggle. :D
Loool