• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of wild bird is this?

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I had such strange wild bird experiences today. As I was leaving campus I drove past a crowd of western scrub jays squaking in the parking lot. I slowed down to see what was going on and it appeared there was one dead scrub jay with another standing over it and about 5 hopping around them and squaking. Turns out the little guy wasn’t dead after all. I realized the two were actually fighting fighting. I felt pretty bad cause one of them was pinned down to the ground while the other was viciously stabbing him with his tiny, sharp beak. All the while they were surrounded by squaking hooligans that resembled a crowd of middle schoolers shouting “fight” when a scuffle begins between two students. I parked the car and walked over to them, and they seperated after a couple of minutes and flew off. I probably shouldn’t have intervened, but I couldn’t help it. They would have gotten run over if I hadn’t.

Now getting to the actual subject of this thread. I saw a gorgeous bird I’ve never seen before, and I can’t seem to find out what is. He was wondering around the outside of an exotic plant nursery I was visiting. Didn’t seem all that afraid of people, he was just wondering around doing his business. I’ve googled and had no success of figuring out the species. Here’s a picture: 9614A882-2693-4AF4-8699-E1C449AAC68A.jpeg
It has a long tail, the wings shine blue in the light, and it’s mostly black with white markings. It has a large yellow bill and a yellow eye ring. Very handsome.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]