• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tomorrow...

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I'm so excited...! I'm bringing home my new bird tomorrow, a beautiful blue female Pacific Parrotlet hatched in May... Got a photo visiting her today... This is my first bird, I welcome all advice, warnings, suggestions you experienced bird people may have. Thanks for welcoming a new bird-parent into the flock!

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh wow, she is adorable. :wideyed: She's even cuter than I thought she'd be. :xflove: Congratulations, @Andrea G!

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I'm amazed at how friendly and bold she is! She eagerly comes out of her cage to visit. I'm bird-proofing my home (covers on aquariums, that sort of thing) but I think I'm 'bird ready' for her homecoming.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Awww, she's precious <3 I'm sure the two of you will make fast friends.

Just remember it's a big change, and she may not feel super social the first few days. Be patient if she withdraws a bit.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She tweets loudly when I leave the room, but calms down quickly when I'm back... I'm trying to stay where she can see me for her
You mustn't go too far, Momma, your tiny baby bird needs you. :xflove:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
The louder tweets are 'contact calls'... she's basically asking where you are. It's how the flocks stay in touch while foraging in the wild. Pick a 'signature' call for yourself (mine, for instance, is a quick up-down whistle, like a reverse bobwhite call, or a very abbreviated wolf whistle) and use it to answer her tweets while out of her sight (and use it periodically when she can see you, as well.) She will quickly pick up on the fact that it's your "name"/signature call, and should calm down once you answer her with it.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Sadly I'm not very good at whistles... I've tried calling back with the word ''peep" in a similar tone. I will observe closely to see if it's working. I'm guessing she will become accustomed to household noises and recognize the sounds we make in other rooms... At the moment unfamiliar sounds like the coffee grinder seem upsetting to her, but I'm hoping daily repetition will make it a normal, not stressful, part of the soundscape of the home. I could give up my coffee grinder but I'm not sure my husband would feel the same.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sadly I'm not very good at whistles... I've tried calling back with the word ''peep" in a similar tone. I will observe closely to see if it's working. I'm guessing she will become accustomed to household noises and recognize the sounds we make in other rooms... At the moment unfamiliar sounds like the coffee grinder seem upsetting to her, but I'm hoping daily repetition will make it a normal, not stressful, part of the soundscape of the home. I could give up my coffee grinder but I'm not sure my husband would feel the same.
I either call back their name or just make some sound. Doesn't have to be a whistle, just something they recognize as coming from you like @NirAntae said. :)

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Definitely doesn't have to be a whistle, that just travels easily. :) As long as it's a fairly consistent sound, it doesn't matter what it is.
On a side note, I would worry that calling back with their name might confuse them... the idea is that a signature call is your 'name' for them, so calling back with their name might lead to them having a hard time connecting their name with them rather than you, if that makes any sense... it would make more sense to use your own name, or 'mom/dad' or however you refer to yourself to them. This video (fascinating in its own right) is about how parrots learn their names in the wild, and shows a bit more what I mean. Each bird's contact call is their 'identity' or name.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is adorable! What a little blue puff. :) Does your little girl have a name yet?

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Yes, we have named her Delilah and it seems to have stuck.
Thanks for the video link NirAntae... I was just wondering how I could help her learn her name. I'm off to watch the video now... :bliss:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She's a pretty little Girl. Ask away if you have any questions. Did the breeder she came from give you suggestions on diet? And if so, what foods came home with you? I am excited for you! I love Parrotlets, they are for sure one of my favorite birds. I really miss having one.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I've got a seed mix (mother nature brand I think?) And a zupreem pellet based mix, plus I've been giving her fresh greens, veg... I haven't tried her with a cooked mash or sprouts or yogurt yet but I plan to. I'd like her to eat as wide a range of foods as possible... Is that the right approach? I welcome feeding advice and I'm reading posts in the food section... Thanks everyone for contributing to such a great resource, this forum is awesome!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
In my experience and opinion, the more options your give them for food, the better. Especially little guys like these, where it can be hard to monitor exactly what they are and aren't eating of what you give them. Just make sure he isn't eating the seeds to the exclusion of the rest. When Wisp was young, I had to refrain from giving her seed mix in her cage... that's all she would eat if it was available. In her cage was fresh foods and pellets, and I'd give her a tsp or so of seed mix in my hand once or twice a day. That way I knew how much she was getting, and it served as a great bonding experience.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds like you’re doing great! She is beautiful.

My male parrotlet likes Roudybush pellets and Goldenfeast Australian blend. I mean, he eats the other foods I give him - but he is crazy about those 2.

And I feed a ton of veggies, which he loves, along with an occasional blueberry or strawberry.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
So far greens seem to be shredding toys, not sure she gets much inside her, but at least she plays with them... I try to give all my creatures a wide variety of suitable foods, but it's harder with some than others! :) thanks for the food tips!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Aaa your baby is so cute! *almost* makes me want a parrotlet. Key word here being almost. I like my birds the way I like my dogs. Big and friendly.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Haha... I like big dogs too... I grew up with St.Bernards BUT I guess I'm working my way down in size and up in attitude

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I like big dogs BECAUSE I grew up with a bunch of small, yappy, nippy ones. And you can roughouse with big dogs better. I love lil Roxy, but Connor is my soulmate :)