• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Totally understand your reasoning. I'm just a tee total worrier type. I'd be worried that if something happened to me and they ultimately wound up in a home that clipped them..... (@JLcribber has declared my worrying to be quite excessive when it comes to my feathered friends).

Actually I've been to a friend's home that has flighted birds and discovered their parrots only use the bathroom when they land on their playstands. No training involved they said, just the natural parrot way.
This is what I'm noticing with Tinker as well.
The stand beside the table sits on a chair and has a bamboo cutting board for the base with rubber pads underneath. He is flying to it with no problems.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker has me trained now. I get up at 6am and he stays quiet till 7am. So I have to get up, cook my eggs and coffee, eat then cleanup the dishes and make sure the gas stove and toaster have cooled before I let him out.

His routine seems to be play dead for an hour then make a fuss till the slave gets the treats out and placed on the play station. Gobble them up quick then fly over to the other stand by the laptop and munch down on the fresh veggies that the slave made up the night before. Fling them around and watch slave retrieve them and put back in my dish. Fly around the house at least three times and practice touch and goes.
Get slave running around after me when I land on stove and try eat todays fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Then nap after a good cuddle.

Sheesh what a day we have had. LOL
He got a piece of yellow zucchini today and just loved it and wanted more.

I finally got a picture with his eyes closed.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today he blew the 1 hr wait till I'm done thing. LOL
I'm up at 6am and Teresa got up as well. Then Tinker started chirping like a fool wanting out so I left him till I got his breakfast ready and let him out.
Breakfast was devoured along with his sweet potatoes, green beans, cooked split peas and carrots.

A few circuits of his flying area, investigated the sink for the first time then back to his day perch and playing with his toys.

I need to leave the house soon so he will have to go back into his cage but he settles down as he knows he will be let out to fly as soon as I get back.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well here is day three. I'll try not to bore anyone to death but this guys is funn to be with.

His first thing to do is fly around when I get him to step up and out of his cage. I figure it's about 65' for the circuit and he did three before he landed on his play station. He then digs into his pellets and his chop.

Today was much needed yard work and he ended up back in his cage till I was done. He was patient till I finished four hours later then he fused till I got him out.

So this endless bundle of energy flew around all afternoon praticing touch and goes as if he was looking for a job with air Canada. I had a ball watching him. He is gonna be a good flyer for sure.

Later today he flew over to me and wanted a cuddle.

He then pushed his head under my hand a proceeded to sleep for 10 minutes.

What a trooper. I am so happy he is setteling in so well.

Tonight he flew around like a kid with a new toy. Looks like he is going to run the house from now on. LOL
I don't know how I missed this thread but your new faby looks like he's been with you for years the way he's so comfy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well here is an update for the end of day three. I had to dim the lights to get him to settle down and stop flying around so much. While he was sitting and relaxing I got the little red dirt devil hand vacuum I bought just for him and vacuumed up around his stand and cage. He flew down to it and had a good look at it then flew back to his favorite spot in fron of the TV. I then put him to bed and he was quiet all night till about 8 this morning.

DAY 4

I think he wore himself out yesterday as he is being a bit quiet today. He did fly to me twice when I held out my hand and waved with the command come. A few circuits and then back to his stand and a snack of fresh carrot sticks from my garden. He hates boiled egg, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower but eats the veggies if they are fresh.

He flew from his play station to the one on top of his cage for the first time, saw a pine cone and grabbed it and flew back. Landings are certainly improving.

Tinker says hi to all you folks.

Hi Tinker! :heart: You've got the cutest baby-face little one. :xflove::xflove:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's where I eat and don't want poop on my table to clean up. The perch worked today so that will be his limits. He will learn or be restricted at human meal times.
I know people that allow their cats to walk and feed on their table. YUK! I don't stay for dinner unless it's an outside BBQ.
When we had cats nobody was allowed above chair seat level - no table or counter tops - or else! The cats knew too cause if I saw one of the kitties showing interest in the table top I'd say "CAT!" and look and there'd be a cat disappearing off the chair to the floor.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well today he blew the 1 hr wait till I'm done thing. LOL
I'm up at 6am and Teresa got up as well. Then Tinker started chirping like a fool wanting out so I left him till I got his breakfast ready and let him out.
Breakfast was devoured along with his sweet potatoes, green beans, cooked split peas and carrots.

A few circuits of his flying area, investigated the sink for the first time then back to his day perch and playing with his toys.

I need to leave the house soon so he will have to go back into his cage but he settles down as he knows he will be let out to fly as soon as I get back.
It sounds like you are well on the way to being appropriately house-broken by your parrot and all three of you sound like you're having fun.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's a good thing we love them as much as we do otherwise there might be several mini-chicken appetizers (not really). Our fids (feathered kids) end up being a large part of our hearts and souls, don't they?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Got my one hour breakfast and newspaper time back this morning. :)
This morning went real well and Tinker got some good flying in after he ate up everything, I mean everything.
He is now sitting beside me preening and getting ready for the prom.

We have been weighing him, when I can get him to stand long enough for the scale to register LOL.
I do it in the morning after he has settled down a bit.
Aug 10/18 ----------371 Grams
Aug 11/18 ----------372 Gr
Aug 15/18 ----------377 Gr

I'm happy he is gaining and flying so much at the same time.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
It's a good thing we love them as much as we do otherwise there might be several mini-chicken appetizers (not really). Our fids (feathered kids) end up being a large part of our hearts and souls, don't they?
This guy has made such an impression on, not so sure Teresa, that she now makes his chop every night for him while getting her own salads ready. Glad this has worked out so well as she was so nervous for weeks before he came home.

It is so nice to have him in the house after a 10 year vacancy since our precious Staffordshire Bull Terrier passed from cancer. That was a hard loss to take and we said no more.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I have got to get one of those sports cameras.
This guy was hilarious today when he landed on the banister. He would slide down then flap his wings and walk back up and then slide down again. After three episodes he finally flew up to the top rail and squawked.
He learned today that he has a restricted height called the ceiling. He bumped his head then landed on the center island and proceeded to look up as if to say, where did that come from.

This morning I noticed when I got up he was sleeping on the bottom of the cage. Tonight when I put him in for the night he ate some pellets got a drink then climbed down to the bottom and tucked his head in and fell asleep.

I'm thinking he is a bit tired of standing all day even though all his perches he uses are a different size.

He's not fussing so things must be fine.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He is still young and may feel more secure sleeping on a flat surface. You could get him a platform perch and see if he will sleep on it.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
My greys would get down on the bottom of the cage to sleep from time to time as babies. They grew out of it after a few months. :)

The banister sliding sounds hilarious <3

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Been a bit of a quiet day for Tinker. We had to leave early to do shopping and other human chores.
Teresa picked up a instant pot to make things easier for us.

Here is Tinker giving it the once over chirping at it.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love Your Tinker stories so much!:heart: Thank you for sharing this grey beauty:xflove:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Ok we had a busy weekend. My son took over the annual family BBQ since he has 5 acres and a nice fire pit. My daughter traveled up from DC as well.

Tinker took to Andrea like a long lost friend and he seemed to miss her today after she left as he was looking for her.

We left him home for just over 6 hours on Saturday and he never tore up his paper or even seemed to be upset when we returned at 9pm. He did want to fly around for an hour or so but he settled down for a good preening before bed at 11pm.

Sunday was his most vocal day since we brought him home. I have no idea if he was trying to talk or just exercising his vocal cords. It was interesting listening to him chatter while he looked out the window.
Speaking of windows, he has found out the hard way that you can't fly through glass. He now flies up to it and slows down to land on the windows edge.

I managed to file his claws today without much grumbling and beaking. He has never tried to seriously bite yet and I hope he doesn't. He also is taking the water spritzing better.

All in all it's been a good weekend for all and he likes my friend Don who will come in to check on him in October while we are gone for one night and two days.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Glad everything is still going smoothly!:dance5: She gets cuter every time:heart:
Maybe you could work on harnass training now too, so later she can come outside with you all:)