• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Lying Down

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
My IRN has started laying down tonight (see photo). Vet is shut till Monday then got to wait for the vet who knows how to care for birds. Don't see point in emergency vets unless he's so sick he needs putting to sleep as they don't know birds.

Could it be his legs? Last trip he had stiff legs which supposedly is because he never moved before I got him. He limps as his legs are very stiff.

His tail is bobbing but it always does that as he only has one nostril his other one has got a polyp blocking it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry your IRN isn't feeling good but he needs a vet

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Ended up taking him today instead of waiting till Monday which is a blessing I did as the vet happened to be in today and won't be in till Wednesday otherwise.

Plus I know he needed a vet but not as simple as going to a vet with a bird lol was wondering if anyone else had IRN who did same thing and what the cause was for them!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How did the vet go?

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
He had to have blood tests and an X-ray. He's on painkillers, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics just incase whilst wait for blood results. It is awful seeing him lying down and struggling with his mobility. :sad3:I also have formula to make sure he's digesting enough calories as he was struggling to eat initially due to falls.

He's still eating, his feathers are not dull and his eyes still have the same mischievous look. His poo is normal not undigested food or the like showing in it.

Hopefully find out tomorrow (Wednesday) the results.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Thank god for insurance as that visit alone was £516...I paid £121 a couple weeks before too. He's an expensive boy. lol

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad you took him in. I hope the test results show that whatever it is, it’s easily treatable!
:hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I hope he'll be okay :(

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Vet thinks it aspergilliosis or pssiticosis. Leaning more towards aspergilliosis as he doesn't really have many symptoms of pssiticosis...Vet didn't think to check his poo as his poo looks healthy but it too late to test now as he's already on baytril. Just sent off a poo sample from the budgies as they've been in contact with him.

He's just started treatment for aspergilliosis. He hates me. He has his bird safe radiator on so I'm roasting to death.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Mojo is doing really well with his medications. He's back to perching & climbing as normal. He's able to forage again too and eat on one leg. He's playing again as well.

The budgies poo also came back clear.

He has to be on medication for quite a while though otherwise the fungus will come back.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:yah: What a great update!

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Just a quick update on my boy.

He's doing great. He's back at vets Monday for another check up as he was on anti fungal meds for a total of 16 weeks so far, so need to do tests to make sure he doesn't need an extra 4 weeks.

He's fed up of taking medication. :laughing2:

His vet quit so this is another vet, so hoping he knows what he's doing or I'm back searching as I'm super picky. lol

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So happy to read this! :)