• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures PakOBird (Pak-O-Bird) carrier - zipper issues

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I stupidly bought three of their carriers based on all the rave reviews everyone is spouting off: one African Grey version which is hella expensive and two smaller versions, all with upgraded stainless screening.

These are ok if you have NON-DESTRUCTIVE birds in them. My Grey ripped the inside of hers to pieces within a few hours, she just doesn't like being caged. Our Jardine managed to chew a hole in the screen on his. Wonderful.

The real UNACCEPTABLE problem is their zippers. Within just a few months I happened to be in the hardware store and looked down and my Caique had his head outside the carrier, this after I fully zipped him up in it. The zipper separated. This has started on all three of my carriers that I bought, all within a year of purchase.

I have contacted Celtai and spoke with a woman who said I must keep the zippers clean. Believe me, the zippers are clean. Not only are they clean, after I noticed the first separation, I started lubing them to reduce the friction of the slider on the teeth. They still started separating on the other two carriers.

The crux of the problem is the gauge of the zipper is too light for the stainless screen they use. The screen is so stiff that you really have to coax the zipper around the corners or the stiffness of the screen will eventually cause the teeth to separate. Even with careful zipping, mine still separate.

I also asked how much to repair and can they use a heavier gauge zipper - nope. Just the same ol zipper for you!

So I'm done with Celtai and also wondering if anyone has successfully repaired the zippers on these? I am trying to find a heavier zipper and will have the zippers replaced. Otherwise it's $700+ in the trash.

Notice the two zipper heads are in the full down position, and the side of the screen is wide open! Do you want to lose your bird outside in one of these?
pakobirdzipper (Small).jpg

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I just bought one a couple months ago for my 'too but have only used it once. So no issues so far, although now I will be extra cautious because I had hoped to take him out in it this weekend. I will say it was a little trickier to assemble than I thought it would be. I think I still have my packaging. I'll have to look- no warranty with them?

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
OMG that's ridiculous and frightening!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's really too bad. You think that they could do something more for you than that. They should consider using stronger zippers. One of the things that puts me off from purchasing the Pak O Bird or the Birdie Go Go are the zippers.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Im sorry . That is horrible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have one that I use quite a few times each day. I have had no issues at all with the screen being too stiff and causing a stress problem on the zips or with the zips themselves. Burt tries to destroy his nearly every time I put him in it but so far it has held up fine. He has bent some of the little plastic bits behind the metal buttons but other than that all is great.
I am really sorry about your experience with the carriers and I am also very glad you shared this information. I will make sure to pay extra attention to the zips on mine.

I think I would have had a heart attack if I saw my bird poke his head out of a carrier I believed was secure. What a horrible feeling that would have been for you.

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Oh man. I've heard nothing but good about these and had been thinking of buying one (because they're so awesome seeming) but now I am worried. That's really too bad.