• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how loud are linnies?

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I live in an apartment, just wondering is a linnie louder then a budgie? Do they screech like a budgie? The youtube videos are not that helpful. Plus do the chirp all day or off and on? Can you keep 2 together? I have a flight cage and thinking of what type of bird would be a good fit for me and my living situation.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I have very limited experience with linnies as I just got my first one about a week or so ago but so far I'm loving him. I got Kiwi so that my cockatiel could have a friend. They haven't met yet because of quarantine. My cockatiel overall is a very quiet bird. He only whistles a couple of times a day, mostly to call out and see where I am. When I whistle back he is satisfied that all is right with the world. My linnie Kiwi seems to be doing the same thing. He chirps each morning to say good morning to all of us and once we chirp back he seems happy. Kiwi does have a VERY shrill whistle in the morning but as I said it doesn't last long. Once I come into his room to say hi he settles right down even once I leave the room. I think getting two new linnies would be the way to go though as I do feel that birds are happier when they have a friend to spend their time with since we can't be there 24/7 for our birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I had two Linnies I really don't recall them being on the loud side. I do remember the male, Kobe, practicing his talking skills in a quiet way.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I had two Linnies I really don't recall them being on the loud side. I do remember the male, Kobe, practicing his talking skills in a quiet way.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 6 month old Linnie is pretty quiet. She chirps and chatters off and on during the day and maybe 5 times a day, she does contact calls to me. We have a schedule and she is reminding me of what needs to be done and when. I live in a condo and feel very comfortable that she doesn't disturb my neighbors. I have a single female. Many on this site have 2 that are caged together. I just love her!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Ordinarily they are very quiet. But seperate a bonded pair and their shrill, constant, loud shreeks will drive you insane. I have a 6-month old male that is actually a very good talker.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I live in an apartment but have never really worried about them bothering my neighbors, mostly because their contact calls are so high-pitched and high-pitched sounds don't travel well through walls.

Katnap

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katrina
For the most part my birds have been super quiet. However, we moved to an apartment from a house setting recently and Gemma has taken to loud contact calling whenever she hears one of us talking from another room. She also does a constant chatter when she's out of her cage which is different behavior from before we moved as well. I'm not too worried about the neighbors unless she is doing this late at night though....I don't think it's any worse than listening to the blue jay that lives in the neighborhood shriek outside our window. When we lived in the house she was only loud if she needed anything like her food was low or something. I'm hoping that she will settle down once we are out of boxes and her cage is in a more central location in the apartment. :fingerscrossed:

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I find Kiwi calls out to me by chirping loudly. I whistle back to him and my cockatiel who is in another room whistles as well, and it seems as long as Kiwi gets someone to whistle back he is happy. He stops whistling once I stop and all is well with the world. :dance4:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find Kiwi calls out to me by chirping loudly. I whistle back to him and my cockatiel who is in another room whistles as well, and it seems as long as Kiwi gets someone to whistle back he is happy. He stops whistling once I stop and all is well with the world. :dance4:
It's going to be great when they are in the same room and perhaps in the same cage.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
It's going to be great when they are in the same room and perhaps in the same cage.
I agree! I so hope they love each other. I'm not worried about Woody cuz he has loved all the birdie friends I have given him in the past. Woody is a sweet cockatiel and I know he will be thrilled to have Kiwi in his room. I can't wait for August 20th when Kiwi can finally move into Woodys room.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to learn how to post pictures! We need to see the first beak touch. :)

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Honestly, Linnies can be quiet, but when they make noise, a word to describe it? um, loud is a good one, Tiki can make high pitched scream contact calls, you can hear her outside with the windows closed xD

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi is usually a quiet bird, just some very quiet beeps and chattering.
BUT if he hears my GCC in another room and can't see her (and once when he heard some cockatiels on TV) he will start frantic, very loud chirping. It's not screaming, I don't think he's capable of screaming, but it's still pretty loud and uncomfortable to hear. Of course as soon as I take him to see Cheeky is fine, he quiets down immediately, so this isn't very frequent.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi is 6 months old and is getting louder. She chirps and buzzes and beeps throughout the day, but now does more contact calls. And like Kiwi above, she will definitely loudly call another bird if she hears one on TV. It's still not any problem for us. We live in a condo and I don't think any neighbors would be bothered.