• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how do people with macaws manage free fly in home

Max83

Walking the driveway
Macaws are beautiful birds but I think I'll never want to have one for many reasons...so it's my curiosity the question :)

I have a cockatiel and he seems to enjoy flying around my house (not so big, 90 meters square).

I ask myself how I'd manage a flying macaw in a "normal" house, how big the house should be for provide a middle quality fly for such a big creature with such big wings that he could turn around and fly to a room to another etc?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu flies from his cage or play stand in "his" room to whatever room he determines I'm in. Most of the time it's from sound rather than sight. He will either land on my shoulder, arm (if I have enough time to present it!) or on the floor next to me. Our house is single storied with 4 bedrooms, a den/sun room (his room) and a study in addition to the normal additional rooms. He manages to avoid furniture, ceiling fans (off if he's out), doors and walls effortlessly. The only thing that scatters are papers as he passes by. He walks almost as much as he flies and you can here the talons and beak dragging on the hardwood floors as he's coming for you. He has almost mastered recall when I call for him from another room. I use the command "Come On" and slap my arm. He gets either a treat (nuts are his absolute favorite) or some cuddle time for getting it right. We had a few mishaps at first because he was partially clipped from the breeder. He could glide but was unable to sustain flight or take off from the ground. Now that he has all of his flight feathers back we enjoy having him join us wherever we are on his own. If he hears the refrigerator door open he's right there because he knows that's where his food comes from. All in all I can't imagine not having a flighted macaw loose in the house when we're at home.

Max83

Walking the driveway
@OK Mike cool thing he learnt to fly even after a wing clipping and they can manage to fly preety well inside of an house!

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Jack maneuvers very well and chooses if he wants to fly to hang out with me or either of his 2 playstand areas. Though he'll also take advantage of his flight skills to try and "inspect"/tear up other parts of my place....since he's not silent in the air, it's easy to find out where he's decided to explore and bring him back into a mac-approved spot. :) He was super clumsy at first when he was first learning to fly as a youngster and would almost look completely "surprised" wherever he had managed to land....it was adorable. Now he's completely confident and no longer needs me to "rescue" him.

Jack visited the avian vet a few weeks ago, and while they had him in the back room to get examined, he managed to get away and fly for a minute. Vet came back and complimented Jack on his skills for getting around the tiny room with surprising ease.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Jack visited the avian vet a few weeks ago, and while they had him in the back room to get examined, he managed to get away and fly for a minute. Vet came back and complimented Jack on his skills for getting around the tiny room with surprising ease.
:coffeescreen: Haha! A vet's office? That is impressive. Way to go, Captain Jack Not-a-Sparrow! :piratenbird:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
One of my tiels (Sunny) did that to Dr. Sakas & flew into the vets' private office area. When Dr. Sakas was able to catch him Sunny bit him and got him along the cuticle line of his thumb.

Last edited: