• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Might get a lovie.

beginnerbird

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all!
I am currently interested in adopting a lovebird. I would be only getting one, but am willing to spend many hours with my pet, and hundreds of dollars.
I’ve been looking at some cages and food brands, along with searching for an avian vet, and researching lovie behaviour. I’m excited to hand tame and bond with a lovebird.
That being said, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer some of my questions;

Are there any things that beginners do that should be avoided?

Any tips on socialization and or bonding? I want to gain my future birds trust, and don’t want to make any mistakes that could hinder that process.

I understand teflon cookware can be fatal to birds. If I adopt a lovebird, would I have to keep the bird away from the kitchen when the teflon cookware is being used only, or should my bird avoid that area altogether?
I plan to bring my lovebird all over the house, would that mean getting rid of my teflon?

Finally, I know you have to cover your birds cage at night to guarantee a full nights rest, but in hot weather, will being covered with a blanket, etc., affect my bird?

Thank you so much in advance!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bird or teflon///never the twp shall meet.
Teflon has to go...or at least never be used.

Candles, cleaning products etc...its a while new world...

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You don’t need to cover the cage at night. If you want to create a more safe feeling for your bird at night, then cover the back half of the cage only. But it’s really not necessary.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
In terms of bonding, you should try to follow a few simple steps:

Don't try to force anything. Let your little lovie learn at it's own pace. Trying to rush things will NOT help matters.

Share meals! Obviously don't let your bird have much meat or anything heavily spiced, but, say, if you are making spaghetti you can save a noodle or two for your bird! (Please no tomato sauce though, even though tomatoes themselves are okay, the sauce has too many added ingredients.) I also think if you adjust your diet to be bird friendly, you would eat very healthy as well!

Once it is comfortable around you, let your parrot help with Chores! Okay, this one might seem a little odd, but riding on a pile of dirty clothes counts as helping. Think of it as bonding time. All parrots want to be an active part of the flock, and chores are a good way to satisfy that need. Just use your head and Don't let your bird near anything dangerous.

In terms of care, I would recommend a morning meal of chop or other mixed, fresh foods, pellets and fresh water available throughout the day, and then a shared dinner, but if you are eating something totally unsafe for birds, give him/her some fruits and vegetables, served in a fun way. Some options that many birds like are fruit and veggie kabobs, or chopped up fruit hung around the cage.

Hope I helped some! You would be surprised at how far you can get with only common sense! Good luck to you and your lovie!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
As far as teflon goes... there was a lady that came to the bird store. She was cooking with teflon and she had put her cockatiel up stairs in a room, closed the door and had the window open. That didnt prevent her new cockatiel from getting sick. Luckily she rushed it to the vet, spent $1,500 and the baby bird survived. I dont personally cover any of my birds at night.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. No Teflon at all with a bird. Also, no burning candles, air fresheners, etc. If you decide to cover your bird, you even need to use unscented detergent for his blanket. It's up to you whether or not to cover. Some birds like it; some don't. Have you ever spent time with a lovie? They are absolutely adorable but can also be nippy. (As most birds can be really). But just something to be aware of. People don't always realize that just because they're little, it doesn't mean they're docile. A lovie is a big bird in a little body. :)

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
No Teflon at all.........no using a self cleaning oven, if you have one. I run mine on the two occasions a year when my birds are boarded for vacation. I bought ceramic cookware, it seems to be available at several price points now. Also........be careful of other appliances that you might not think about like Air Fryers, I have one but it's PFOA and PFTE free, also Pizza ovens and panini grills, anything that might have a non stick coating on it you need to double check for safety, most won't be OK.

The biggest advice I can give you for bonding with your bird is to go slow and don't push him or force him to do anything he is not ready to do. You are building trust in the beginning and your bird will let you know if you are rushing things or if he is ready to take on more experiences and food. I can't over emphasize enough about just sitting near the cage and talking in a friendly upbeat soft voice. I even read to mine when they first came home. They love being talked to and read to.........and even sung to. Let the bird come out of his cage on his own, it's his "room" not yours, he will want to come out when he has learned that he trusts you and you are the source of all "good things".

Welcome to AA and looking forward to hearing more about your little guy or gal when you finally get it. Lots of good info here by lots of experienced people.

beginnerbird

Thank you all so much! I can’t explain how much it helps to have a community of lovebird owners to help me on my journey.

You’ve given me many tips on bonding. I’ll be sure to let my bird have his space, and go further as he sees fit. Reading to my bird and sharing healthy foods is something I hadn’t considered, so thanks!

In terms of covering my birds cage, I’ll leave it to my bird. I’ll try different things, and we’ll find somethings that works.

Finally, teflon. When I get my bird, I’ll have to get rid of all my teflon. And sorry to ask, but do I have to keep my bird away from my oven only when it’s self cleaning, because my oven is a self cleaning one.

Thank you all!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
On the self cleaning oven, you only have to keep your bird away while its self-cleaning. As in, make sure your bird isn't even in the house the day of the cleaning. Enjoy, and please send pictures when you get him!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When cleaning the oven the best thing to do is have a neighbor or friend who can take the bird for a few hours. Do you have a travel cage?

beginnerbird

Hey, thank you for responding.

I’m currently looking at some birds, so I don’t have my bird yet, but a travel cage is something I’ll remember to purchase. Thanks for the self cleaning advice.

I will try to keep my bird at a neighbors house during self cleaning. I do have some trusted neighbors, but I would try to be with my bird during that period.

After my oven cleans, is there something I need to do to clear any fumes? I would hate to bring my bird back into my house after cleaning, and then their into the fumes. Sorry to be a bother today, thank you!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
I would say open the windows and give the fumes an hour or two to clear out, just to be safe.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hey, thank you for responding.

I’m currently looking at some birds, so I don’t have my bird yet, but a travel cage is something I’ll remember to purchase. Thanks for the self cleaning advice.

I will try to keep my bird at a neighbors house during self cleaning. I do have some trusted neighbors, but I would try to be with my bird during that period.

After my oven cleans, is there something I need to do to clear any fumes? I would hate to bring my bird back into my house after cleaning, and then their into the fumes. Sorry to be a bother today, thank you!
My travel cage sat in my car for 4 months just in case I found a lovebird to bring home :unsure1: