• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies & Cockatiels?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Do Linnies and Cockatiels get along? Can they eventually live in the same flight cage harmoniously? Does anyone have experience with the two together?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've never tried it, but I've heard mixed things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had 2 cockatiels and both were sweet and mild mannered. In fact, late in life, one shared a large cage with my elderly canary. My Linnie is less than 6 months old and although so much is written about their sweet dispositions, Gigi is sweet but very high spirited. I can't imagine her living with either of my past cockatiels. She acts like a little Amazon sometimes. So I guess, it depends on the birds.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I've had 2 cockatiels and both were sweet and mild mannered. In fact, late in life, one shared a large cage with my elderly canary. My Linnie is less than 6 months old and although so much is written about their sweet dispositions, Gigi is sweet but very high spirited. I can't imagine her living with either of my past cockatiels. She acts like a little Amazon sometimes. So I guess, it depends on the birds.
When you say high spirited what exactly do you mean? What kind of behaviour do you mean?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Young linnies (I have Gigi's parents and siblings) are often very active, stubborn, bossy, and energetic. From everything you read about them, their behaviour seems uncharacteristic for the species. As they grow up they usually become more docile.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Denise, Matto nailed the description of Gigi. She is busy all the time, biting, hanging from and attacking her toys. She manipulates her toys too, trying to get them to wrap around perches, go on either side of her boing or swing. She has lots of opinions, contact calling me when it's time for her to go to the living room for the day, time to come out of the cage, time to go back to bird room, time to dim the lights. She has me very well trained. She really loves me and wants my attention, but doesn't always want to be touched, then another time she will allow me to work on her pin feathers, laying perfectly flat on her face for 10 minutes, or hanging on the inside of her cage while I pet her for as long I will. She will burrow into a towel on my lap and close her eyes for a long time. She attacks the cloth I use to clean off poop, clicking, buzzing and shrieking at it occasionally. I have to put her in her travel cage to deep clean her cage and switch out toys because she will possibly nip me. She is so interested in everyone, including my little grandchildren. She comes to the closest part of the cage whenever anyone approaches her. She is somewhat quiet, but knows 4 trick whistles now and does them often. When I open her cage door, she immediately comes to the edge, hanging and trying to decide how to get out. She won't step up from there. But eventually she catapults herself out to my lap, the nearby chair or the floor. She will happily take a spray shower, hang out on top of her cage on her play gym, just stand on my finger while we watch TV, sit on my shoulder, preening my hair, then she runs across the top of the sofa behind me. She has been to the veterinarian twice and both times, she did a kiss noise when asked. Then we came home and she acted like she always acts. She's very resilient and is just so fun! It will be interesting to see if she mellows out as an adult.

She is night and day from the calm and docile cockatiels that I had years ago. But that's just my experience with cockatiels and others could be much different.

Matt, I know you bought Gigi's parents, but I didn't know that you have any of her siblings. Who do you have? What is your plan for them?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
@Dona I bred her parents again and have 2 of the babies from that clutch. They're Gigi's younger siblings. One will be a breeder, and the other a pet.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dona I bred her parents again and have 2 of the babies from that clutch. They're Gigi's younger siblings. One will be a breeder, and the other a pet.
Oh I see! I wondered if you ended up buying the lutino that I originally put my deposit on. it must be so fun breeding Linnies. You will make so many families happy. :)