• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foster, possible rehome situation. help needed in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys,

It's been a very long time since I've been active in the board. I came to Avian Avenue when we were getting our conure Blaze and I wanted to know everything there was to know about keeping a happy bird. I found so much information, help and advice in this community that I will forever be grateful for.

The reason for my return is not a happy one. I was diagnosed with a heart condition in December and had to seek temporary housing for Blaze while recovering because she seemed to pick up on my illness and had started screaming non stop months before as well as some feather picking. She was always happy and well adjusted previously.

The friend that has been caring for her is no longer able to care for her and is returning her to me by July 29th. Unfortunately, I am still not in a place where I can take her back as the road to recovery has been long and fraught with relapses. I do not want to rehome her, but I know it just may be a possibility.

I'm hoping to find someone who can temporarily foster Blaze for me with the possibility of rehoming. I cannot bring her back in the house with the constant vocalizing and all three of my backup birdy-sitters are unable to help out. Is there anyone here that can help? I am located in the GTA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm assuming (always dangerous) that by GTA you mean greater Toronto area?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm in Scarborough. I could possibly work something out (birdysit/foster only though). If you're interested, PM me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wish you a speedy recovery. Are there any rescues near you that might board her for awhile?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:If you weren't in canada...are you on FB? That is where most of my rescue connections are...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that you have been ill and hope that you can find someone who will temporarily take Blaze in for you.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi SandraK, yes sorry, I do mean Greater Toronto Area. I am willing to travel to bring her to anyone who can offer her foster and of course will provide everything she needs.

Sunnysmom, I'm looking into this as well, I'm afraid I'm not really up on the rescues for parrots located in Ontario, but searching so any suggestions are welcome. I do know of one in Toronto, but my understanding is that they are full up with birds who need rehabilitation and rehoming.

Webchirp, I am on FB, I would be happy to explore any options or connections you may have.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the well wishes, it means so much to have the support.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:sadhug2:If you weren't in canada...are you on FB? That is where most of my rescue connections are...

I honestly read this before coffee and though it said Ohio. Sorry!! LOL

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I honestly read this before coffee and though it said Ohio. Sorry!! LOL
Another soul that must have coffee to operate...... I'm with you!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, if only we were closer!! This country's just too big sometimes.
I really hope someone's able to help. We have quite a few members here in Ontario. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hey!
If Blaze still needs a temporary home, send me a message. I would love some more information about her! I might be able to help.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
There is the Avian Adoption Network in Canada that could help you find a foster Avian Adoptions Network - Canada Public Group | Facebook. Here is their About information -
Description

Avian Adoptions Network - Canada (AANC) is a group of individuals who are the admins and moderators of this group, working together to find approved adoptive homes through our specific AANC program. Birds will need a succession of homes due to their longevity, our goal is to assist the best we can to ensure the birds are placed in suitable homes by the surrendering family by finding suitable adopters. Bringing suitable matches together for the benefit of the bird/s. We look to have AANC members who: 1. Are candidates for adopting the available birds 2. Those that support our group and will help spread the positive work, but may not necessarily be adopting 3. Those that are on the lookout for parrots that are in urgent need of homes and are being surrendered and may be referred to AANC. Applicant information is confidential with AANC and we abide to personal privacy. AANC will not discuss adopter or surrender information to third unassociated parties. AANC minimum adoption donation is $25 and up, depending on the specie of the bird and what accompanies the bird upon adoption. This will be discussed with potential accepted adopters prior to finalizing adoption. All donations must be received before bird transitions to the new home. Adopters are required to join PRC Discussion to glean more information on birds and their proper care. Thank you. ___________ We do not welcome active breeders. ___________ While other rescues may be on this page, we have no direct affiliation with any rescues or sanctuaries, THIS IS AN AVIAN ADOPTIONS NETWORK specific page in which we bring surrendering families and adopters together through AVIAN ADOPTIONS NETWORK CANADA. Soliciting from businesses, rescues, sanctuaries, individuals is not allowed. This is an AANC dedicated page. If you have questions please pm AANC ADMINS who are designated in the members section. As this concept is in its early stages there will be room for change and advancement. No drama or you will be removed.

I'm sure you could contact one of the admins and ask about help with a foster situation/potential re-home. I'm in NB, otherwise I would totally offer to foster! I truly hope your health improves so that you can keep your FID {{{HUGS}}}

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone for your replies, so far I have two AA'ers interested in the possibility of fostering Blaze which would be my ideal choice and I will look into all of the other suggestions. I didn't even think about asking at the vet's office. Unfortunately our avian vet has suddenly retired due to health issues. Bah, health issues!

Will update:)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you everyone for your replies, so far I have two AA'ers interested in the possibility of fostering Blaze which would be my ideal choice and I will look into all of the other suggestions. I didn't even think about asking at the vet's office. Unfortunately our avian vet has suddenly retired due to health issues. Bah, health issues!

Will update:)
Ask the retired avian vet if you can, your dream, maybe he'd foster for you?

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi SandraK, that would be great but I think my vet retired because she suddenly got very ill. I don't know the details but it happened really abruptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.