• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on Species Survival Llc

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Only production breeders gavage feed every baby, period. A parrot should only be gavage fed for a medical reason. Gavage fed babies don't know what food tastes like, often have little or know feeding response, and can be extremely hard to wean, often having food issues.

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I found the price list on her site dated from 2016, so unless it’s changed I know what it is now. Thanks @Jiffy for being willing to contact her! @aooratrix that’s what I had always thought about gavage feeding so I was kind of surprised to see anyone support it here, but I’m not a breeder or expert so...:shrug3:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only production breeders gavage feed every baby, period. A parrot should only be gavage fed for a medical reason. Gavage fed babies don't know what food tastes like, often have little or know feeding response, and can be extremely hard to wean, often having food issues.
No interaction with the babies. Just stick the tube into them and pump that food. :( How many "hand fed" babies can they turn out in order to make a profit? :mad:

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@aooratrix Ah thanks, I didn't notice that. It says the prices were going to be updated on March of 2016, so I'm not sure if those prices still stand.
@jennluna If they do, it ranges from $2,000-$2,800. If they've changed I'll let you know considering I already sent her the question.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
No interaction with the babies. Just stick the tube into them and pump that food. :( How many "hand fed" babies can they turn out in order to make a profit? :mad:
Isn’t that awful? The baby Robert sent me was already a biter. And I mean a BITER. Full on grab hold and grind with the bottom beak. I guess I would too if my only experience with a hand was having a tube shoved down my throat. It made me ill, and I felt so bad for that little baby. But I knew if I kept it that I was just rewarding the breeder, which was exactly what I didn’t want.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aha. I didn’t know this. So now I see that when the breeder we met quickly gavage fed our baby and said to us “it’s quicker,” he was justifying doing it that one time. We’d met him out somewhere - he was trying to quickly feed it and put it into our carrier. Because ours had obviously been handled, ate ravenously, etc.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Thanks!

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Looks like Species Survival Llc either removed their account, or got suspended from Birdbreeders.com . . . They do seem to be active on Birds Now, so maybe their reviews got them removed. Anyways, I've actually found a Red-Belly that needs rescued. I signed an adoption application and am waiting for a response. @finchly @iamwhoiam

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Great news!

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
I find they are very good on promising you get your bird in good condition and well care and they are a well known breeder. My only concern is that they don't do too much research about who they sell the bird to. That shouldn't affect you and you should be fine!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like Species Survival Llc either removed their account, or got suspended from Birdbreeders.com . . . They do seem to be active on Birds Now, so maybe their reviews got them removed. Anyways, I've actually found a Red-Belly that needs rescued. I signed an adoption application and am waiting for a response. @finchly @iamwhoiam
That's exciting. Tell us more!! Hope things work out for you and the parrot.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@iamwhoiam Well... They still haven't responded yet, but on their website they write about home visits and multiple visits before I can adopt the bird. They're 7 hours away so I'm not sure how that will work out :shy:
I'd love love love to rescue a Red belly instead of buying, but since my location doesn't have many bird rescues and they're uncommon, I don't know if that'll be possible or not.