• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe ALL exotic pets should be microchipped so that if a snake (like the one above) can be traced to the buyer/pet store and prosecuted for release into the wild. This should really be applied to all incoming exotics because it would create a tracking system.

Last edited:

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Actually the Burmese python that is the biggest problem can produce 20 to 50 eggs, they reproduce every year and they have no natural predators in So. Fl.

[/QUOTE]
Correct! In fact Burmese pythons average 36 eggs but can lay as many as 107. I was just stating the average of pythons in general so as not to sensationalize it! Either way it's a bad situation in the Everglades!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Florida has gotten so many issues from owners releasing animals. There was also a hurricane that set loose I forget how many snakes from a research facility so that didn't help any. I've also heard about the oscar cichlids surviving in the ocean and destroying local wildlife as well. People shouldn't buy pets if they can't take care of them for their life. Personally I think abandoning an animal is the same for every species regardless of if it's a dog, cat, snake, lizard, fish, parrot or anything. There are other avenues besides abandonment and risking the health and safety of the pet, along with indigenous wildlife.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
In the UK you have to get your dog microchipped which creates a tracking system so the dog can't be dumped.

All animals should require a form of purchase papers like identity papers and such, these have to be provided on reselling the animal and they have to be paid for. They should also be microchipped and if people want to buy parrots, fish etc they have to a home inspection, a course on taking care of them and pay for the paperwork.

For African greys you need a A10 certificate and cannot legally sell the bird without one and can be prosecuted. All breeding birds need one and the babies need one before they can sold. The more offspring the parents have the more expensive it gets (though now African grey prices in the UK are increasing)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't agree. Possible exceptions for species/breeds that have proven with data backing to be dangerous to the general public (not just the owners) or the local ecosystem.
I think a lot of people are going to be all about passing laws until it applies to them and they have to pay for the permit to keep their pets and then continually watch the laws for changes. These things have a way of morphing into more restrictions as time goes by. Speaking as someone currently jumping through hoops to get a couple of regulated bird species shipped to me. It's annoying and difficult to work around with busy schedules and multiple things in play to get it all to go through. It's a rare day when I'll agree to be regulated by my own free will.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...yeah...no spoken remarks....but what I was thinking, well...

Just a passing thought...most athletes are pretty "well-gifted" in naughty words. (I'll say it that way) I'm definitely an expert in profanity...my thoughts about the Game Commission are very explicit and not appropriate for a forum like this...;)
Many people feel they have too much authority. It seems to really depend on what state you live in. Some states have very adversarial Department of Natural Resources or equivalent. In Iowa, they tend not to be too bad, but still...hoops to jump through when dealing with them. And, they could at any time knock on my door and want in to see my hawks. Especially if I happen to have one of the hawks in the house at the time. One of the nice things that Iowa has done historically is work with the people owning/possessing birds of prey to determine what regulations need to be in place. Unfortunately, that also means compromise because the government almost always wants to throw in some additional unnecessary regulations. One of which, I'm currently dealing with as a minor hassle (importation permits to move state to state.) Pain in the @$$ requiring multiple emails back and forth between me and the DNR and the breeder.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hate to say it but the more work you make for somebody who wants to obtain a certain pet, the more serious of a pet owner you will get.
Or the more people will just choose to not follow the law. Which won't eliminate the problem if law enforcement doesn't up their game at enforcement. If law enforcement does that, then the'll step on the toes of law abiding citizens. Nasty little cycle of violating rights for not much gain.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
In the UK you have to get your dog microchipped which creates a tracking system so the dog can't be dumped.

All animals should require a form of purchase papers like identity papers and such, these have to be provided on reselling the animal and they have to be paid for. They should also be microchipped and if people want to buy parrots, fish etc they have to a home inspection, a course on taking care of them and pay for the paperwork.

For African greys you need a A10 certificate and cannot legally sell the bird without one and can be prosecuted. All breeding birds need one and the babies need one before they can sold. The more offspring the parents have the more expensive it gets (though now African grey prices in the UK are increasing)

I like that approach. Any legislation that safeguards an animal, no matter how tough, is a law that I support. We finally realized in the last century that children were not somebody's property. Now it's time to wise up about animals.

Reactions: Jas

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Actually the Burmese python that is the biggest problem can produce 20 to 50 eggs, they reproduce every year and they have no natural predators in So. Fl.

[/QUOTE]

You couldn't 'pay me' to own one of those snakes. Could you imagine walking down in Florida and seeing one of those things coming at you?

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I like that approach. Any legislation that safeguards an animal, no matter how tough, is a law that I support. We finally realized in the last century that children were not somebody's property. Now it's time to wise up about animals.
Agreed. Just because we think we want to own an animal doesn't mean we should.

LOL. It isn't like you walk down the streets of Miami and encounter pythons. They are hard to find and are in the Everglades NP and surrounding preserves. If you are walking around these areas there are lots of dangerous wildlife you might want to keep an eye out for. Alligators are more likely to be seen.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Or the more people will just choose to not follow the law. Which won't eliminate the problem if law enforcement doesn't up their game at enforcement. If law enforcement does that, then the'll step on the toes of law abiding citizens. Nasty little cycle of violating rights for not much gain.

I totally agree. Law enforcement, when it comes to protecting animals, is a joke.

There was a case in my state a few years ago involving a woman who kept 10 cats in a tiny trailer. Nobody lived in that trailer except the cats. She would neglect to stop by and give them food or water. One time her negligence went on for three weeks and somebody called the authorities. It was a pitiful and grizzly sight when the authorities showed up.

The prosecutor pressed charges and built up a solid case against her. Her punishment from the judge? She couldn't own more than three cats. It would have been comical if it hadn't of been so damn tragic.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Florida has gotten so many issues from owners releasing animals. There was also a hurricane that set loose I forget how many snakes from a research facility so that didn't help any. I've also heard about the oscar cichlids surviving in the ocean and destroying local wildlife as well. People shouldn't buy pets if they can't take care of them for their life. Personally I think abandoning an animal is the same for every species regardless of if it's a dog, cat, snake, lizard, fish, parrot or anything. There are other avenues besides abandonment and risking the health and safety of the pet, along with indigenous wildlife.
Personally I believe that large snakes should only be sold to herpetologists or zoos.

We own things because somebody foolishly put us at the top of the food chain, giving us a great sense of entitlement. No greater saying than: "We came, we saw, we conquered."

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I believe that large snakes should only be sold to herpetologists or zoos.

We own things because somebody foolishly put us at the top of the food chain, giving us a great sense of entitlement. No greater saying than: "We came, we saw, we conquered."
I’m more of an if you get yourself killed because you draped your python around your neck and it squeezed, well that’s just evolution working to eliminate the inferior from the gene pool sort of person. I have no issues with snake ownership in most states. If it’s a place the snake can live naturally, require a chip and fine the heck out of people who’s snake is found roaming the neighborhoods or Everglades. I have no fear of large snakes sneaking up on me while I’m out and about. If it’s a problem in the bush, bring a knife and solve your own problems. If someone is shocked about not being the top of the food chain when they are in the wild, then they should just stick with city life.
No one put us at the top of the food chain. We evolved that way. And if you have ever spent time in bear country, you’d know that us at the top of the food chain is debatable. I’m all for hunting the escaped pythons. Less for outlawing ownership. Although I might not complain much if I lived In the south and restrictions were made. Up north, I see no reason the ban them at all.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I’m more of an if you get yourself killed because you draped your python around your neck and it squeezed, well that’s just evolution working to eliminate the inferior from the gene pool sort of person. I have no issues with snake ownership in most states. If it’s a place the snake can live naturally, require a chip and fine the heck out of people who’s snake is found roaming the neighborhoods or Everglades. I have no fear of large snakes sneaking up on me while I’m out and about. If it’s a problem in the bush, bring a knife and solve your own problems. If someone is shocked about not being the top of the food chain when they are in the wild, then they should just stick with city life.
No one put us at the top of the food chain. We evolved that way. And if you have ever spent time in bear country, you’d know that us at the top of the food chain is debatable. I’m all for hunting the escaped pythons. Less for outlawing ownership. Although I might not complain much if I lived In the south and restrictions were made. Up north, I see no reason the ban them at all.

Did you read about the family in Canada who owned these massive creatures? Let's just say it's not a story I would tell a child.

Are you sure that some of us fully evolved? Too many times when a human interacts with a wild animal it ends up badly...mainly for the animal.

I am all for holding the careless beings responsible as to why we have to be hunting those snakes in the first place.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I can't imagine such cruelty! Not only do I not dump animals, both my dogs are microchipped to make sure we don't get separated accidentally. And snakes pose a huge threat. A dumped corn snake was spotted not far from my house. Definitely a pet, it was lutino from what I've heard. I can't stand people that treat animals like inanimate objects!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I can't imagine such cruelty! Not only do I not dump animals, both my dogs are microchipped to make sure we don't get separated accidentally. And snakes pose a huge threat. A dumped corn snake was spotted not far from my house. Definitely a pet, it was lutino from what I've heard. I can't stand people that treat animals like inanimate objects!

I so agree, and the only way we can accomplish that is to make the penalties much stiffer. It's not like they have a conscious that we can appeal to.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you read about the family in Canada who owned these massive creatures? Let's just say it's not a story I would tell a child.

Are you sure that some of us fully evolved?
No. Someone semi locally got killed a few years ago by a python. Its not super common around here but it happens. Really, I have no fear of snakes. I like them, I've often thought about having them in my classroom since I already have a freezer full of frozen mice as hawk food anyway. Despite the way my above post may have sounded, I'm not all for rushing out and killing everything that moves. However, I do not have problems with taking steps to eliminate invasive species. For most of this country, pythons just are not a threat to our ecosystem. Winter takes care of it. I see no reason to eliminate them from the pet trade for most of the country. People that have small dogs should go outside with their dog because everything wants to eat small dogs. If you have a small child, you should go outside with it because everything bigger than you might want to eat you. Accept it and move on. That's just the way it is. If you live in parts of the world where you are likely to find dangerous animals, plan ahead, carry a gun, knife, bear spray etc. Don't go looking for a fight, but know how to handle it if it happens and don't whine like a victim. For reptiles, require that all animals capable of being invasive be chipped for sale at pet expos, pet stores or large scale breeders. Do random follow ups during inspections and call it good. There is a market for snakeskin, so people that find one wild in places it shouldn't be, can get a little profit and do a good deed by eliminating an invasive from the ecosystem. Check it for a chip before skinning it and contact the authorities. Work with the local good old boys to keep the invasive population down. Some of those people would think it great fun to get paid for skin and make a meal of it at the same time. Plus, one less invasive in the everglades. Actually, that would be a few less chickens slaughtered to feed those people, so no wasted loss of life. I may think different having kept predators. What some think as cruel, I think as nature and food.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
According to the Colorado Herpetological Society, corn snakes are native to Colorado ( List of Colorado Snakes ). Mutations, such as lutino, are naturally occurring. They are not common, but they do occur in the wild.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
No. Someone semi locally got killed a few years ago by a python. Its not super common around here but it happens. Really, I have no fear of snakes. I like them, I've often thought about having them in my classroom since I already have a freezer full of frozen mice as hawk food anyway. Despite the way my above post may have sounded, I'm not all for rushing out and killing everything that moves. However, I do not have problems with taking steps to eliminate invasive species. For most of this country, pythons just are not a threat to our ecosystem. Winter takes care of it. I see no reason to eliminate them from the pet trade for most of the country. People that have small dogs should go outside with their dog because everything wants to eat small dogs. If you have a small child, you should go outside with it because everything bigger than you might want to eat you. Accept it and move on. That's just the way it is. If you live in parts of the world where you are likely to find dangerous animals, plan ahead, carry a gun, knife, bear spray etc. Don't go looking for a fight, but know how to handle it if it happens and don't whine like a victim. For reptiles, require that all animals capable of being invasive be chipped for sale at pet expos, pet stores or large scale breeders. Do random follow ups during inspections and call it good. There is a market for snakeskin, so people that find one wild in places it shouldn't be, can get a little profit and do a good deed by eliminating an invasive from the ecosystem. Check it for a chip before skinning it and contact the authorities. Work with the local good old boys to keep the invasive population down. Some of those people would think it great fun to get paid for skin and make a meal of it at the same time. Plus, one less invasive in the everglades. Actually, that would be a few less chickens slaughtered to feed those people, so no wasted loss of life. I may think different having kept predators. What some think as cruel, I think as nature and food.
I agree with you about taking precautions. When I lived in Alaska and would take hikes in the woods I always made sure to make a lot of noise and carry a can of mace with me.

But the result of large snake ownership is what we are seeing played out down in Florida. Too many people can't handle the care, the cost, or the responsibility in owning one of these snakes. And I fear that if we do install responsible regulation that they will still get them over the internet. I honestly don't know what the answer is.

I would like to own a tiger but I can't, and even if I could, I still couldn't do that to the tiger. There are more tigers living as somebody's pet over here than there are roaming in the wild. That's messed up.