• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible adoption?

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
One of husband's coworkers has a G2 that has been with her for 19 years. Her partner is sick of the bird and they are looking to place him with a loving home or sanctuary.

Husband and I have spent a good deal of time talking about opening our home to him. We aren't sure yet, as we haven't met him and the coworker was going to talk with her groomer about a sanctuary she found on the internet.

This would be the oldest bird I've ever adopted. He does have some kind of behavioral issue because she no longer attempts to do any wing or nail trimming on him (hence the groomer)... and something he's doing has gotten on the nerves of her partner. Also, the bird was on prozac for a few months when he was three years old after their last move. He's lived in the same cage his whole life and the same house for the last 16 years. Haven't seen the cage/house yet so don't have much details on that front.

What are your thoughts? Pursue getting to meet him and consider adoption or wish him the best at a sanctuary?

Edit: A few years ago he bit her very badly, which is why she doesn't do grooming anymore.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I wouldn't let age put you off. 19 isn't that old too. But older birds can still be trained and lose bad behaviors. It is a bit odd that she's had for him 19 years and she wants to rehome him now. Perhaps she hasn't been with her partner as long? And he's the driving force behind wanting to rehome him. I dunno... I have seen birds with problem behaviors do really well in new and better settings. It could be a rocky transition with a few bites along the way but if you ready and willing to do deal with that and you really want another bird then go for it. If not that's perfectly fine too :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
No harm in meeting the poor bird. Who knows, you might just click!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, ask yourself if you have the mettle to get through the first several months or couple years of screaming, biting hard and possible plucking that rehomed cockatoos tend to do. I always kind of cringe a little when people think of rehoming a cockatoo. Its definitely a good deed and there is a need out there to do it. Just make sure you aren't a wimp and everyone in your family has a high tolerance for screaming and a high pain tolerance. That there isn't anyone that is likely to say I've had it and pressure others into getting rid of the bird. That you aren't prone to feeling guilty when things don't go right and then try to rehome the bird to escape your feelings of guilt. Somehow rehoming a cockatoo tends to bring about a nasty mess of family upheaval and reveal weaknesses of character. They usually start out pretty good and will often be the sweetest thing ever when you go see them. Then you get them home and they are the sweetest thing every until a few months or weeks later when suddenly they are not. Take a hard look at yourself and at your family members then decide. It never hurts to go look and hold the bird if you are able. You can always walk away. Once you get him home, he's yours though for better or worse. Sometimes it takes a solid few years to work out all the issues. My goffin's was not a basket case when I got him, he came from a loving home although he was previously rehomed. We still went through the attempts at face biting and some minor screaming plus some plucking which I already knew about before getting him. I wasn't shocked when it happened because I'd been bit before and I'd been around on these forums long enough to know how these things tend to go. As predicted, it worked itself out after a couple years and we are good to go now.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
If you are considering him at all, I would definitely meet him. It's possible that the bird is jealous of the new partner in that house. That person must be there to stay to get her to rehome her bird of 19 years. I wouldn't be able to do that, but, some people are different. If you click, it would be great. Look up Phoebe in the cockatoo threads. She was rehomed to a plumber that showed up to a house, and the bird reached out to him. My freddy was eating out of my hand the day I met him, and I was told he would not do that with anyone. The biggest issue I have is he's afraid of anything! Definitely meet him and you'll know.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The bird's age is irrelevant...and most all adult 'toos come with some sort of baggage gained along the way.
It could be a rocky transition with a few bites along the way but if you ready and willing to do deal with that and you really want another bird then go for it.
I agree! It sounds like this little soul needs a second chance..but it will be a challenge for all concerned...and in your heart, you know if you're ready for the challenges...

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What are your thoughts? Pursue getting to meet him and consider adoption or wish him the best at a sanctuary?
Most of These “sanctuaries” inevitably turn out be hell on earth.

You already know the answer my dear.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think definitely meet him. Elvis was over 25 when we got him. We don't know his exact age. He could be much older. I don't think age is really a factor. You already know what cockatoos are like generally. Goffins are just probably a little more high energy and more mechanical than other kinds of 'toos. They're definitely little clowns. It sounds like this bird is really in need of a caring home.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We haven't heard back from her so I guess she decided to go with the sanctuary. My main concern is that I'm getting to the part of my education where I'll have tremendously long hours. Probably will have very little time to play with the birds I already have... which they may not mind too much so long as someone gives them flying time (they're both very independent). I wasn't sure how a new addition would handle the absenteeism and on top of being in a house with two other birds after so many years as an only.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Probably wouldn't have worked too well. I had always wanted a macaw. After my husband passed away many years ago I was going to take the TV completely out of the living room and make room for the very large macaw cage. Then I read a book on the macaw. Needless to say I still have the TV in the living room. A friend of mine recently contacted me that he has a friend who wants to rehome her macaw. After having Freddy, my rb2, which is a much smaller bird, I don't have room for a macaw! My house isn't big enough for that bird to be comfortable. Freddy is able to fly comfortably in the house. A macaw couldn't do that. Things I didn't think about.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I had a spouse who "got sick of" one of my birds and tried to make me rehome them, I'd just throw the whole spouse out.
Ugh.
I'll never understand.

I hope this poor sweet 'too found a wonderful place to land where he can live out the rest of his life happily.

It was wonderful of you to consider bringing him into your home, though! :heart:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
If I had a spouse who "got sick of" one of my birds and tried to make me rehome them, I'd just throw the whole spouse out.
Ugh.
I'll never understand.

I hope this poor sweet 'too found a wonderful place to land where he can live out the rest of his life happily.

It was wonderful of you to consider bringing him into your home, though! :heart:
Sorry he has been with me 19 years...you haven't
I hope he has gone somewhere the original owner could get him back. 19 years is a long time. I couldn't do that.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Me too.

I was married before. We (me and the kids) had to leave for the women's shelter. The animal shelter, as a courtesy, got all my animals and housed them during that period. My now-ex called the women's shelter and said "tell her that she can come back but her animals cannot."

Hah.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I woke the EX up "your sh←t is by the door, don't let it hit you in backside as you leave" that was morning after he locked my babies in the closet. It was either he goes or 'GOODBYE EARLE' time.