• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prisoner in my own home

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is how one of my caiques is. She ust wants to be with me, a Velcro bird. It can be wearing, I know what you mean!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Does she have play stations?
By that I mean places for her to go and play on, get food, water and actually have her own space that's not her cage. If not set up some, a boing from the ceiling, a swing, cargo net, Java tree or a tree stand made from a branch of a safe tree (cheaper option). You will need to make them connect and be able to be accessible via the floor.

Now make foraging opportunitys on these stations and she has to work for food but make sure she can see it if she has done this before. Get a shallow bowl put some pellets in it and sprinkle with crinkle paper. Kitchen or toilet paper tubes folded with treats in and a small hole. Give her Something to do. When you take her out give her 15-20minutes of cuddles and attention then let her play with toys (engage with her and show her want to do. Eventually you can make it harder and she will be more occupied longer.

The reason she also clings to you is you're a taxi service, it's a force dependence as she can't get around and won't feel safe on the floor. Your choice to keep her clipped but keep it in mind if she still wants to ride your shoulder.

Birds are flock animals they don't like being alone and you are her flock, give her times for cuddles and kisses but give her time for non physical attention like talking to as well.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Does your bird have toys to play with? It doesn't seem like you want to interact with it and form a bond.
You don't sound like you even like the bird and it's more of a burden to you than anything else.
You say you're a prisoner in your own home, but in honesty it sounds like the bird is.
The best thing you can do is put an ad up for your bird so it can go to a home where it will be loved for what he/she is.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If you insist on keeping this birds wings clipped, then you must accept the responsibility of being her means of transportation. That means when you leave the room, you pick her up and take her with you. Period. You have taken away her only means of travel.
Caiques will NEVER. NEVER. Never stay on a stand, or cage top. They are active, curious and intelligent animals. In my living room I have two cages, two free standing perches, a java tree, a dining room table full of perches and toys and two @Wingdow perches. My two can fly wherever they want, play alone, play with each other or look out the window. Most of the time they play on me.
A Caique requires lots of play and lots of enrichment opportunities. If you give her the ability to choose where she goes and what she does, you will have a happier, friendlier and quieter bird. If you can’t provide all of these things, please consider giving her the chance to be happy with someone else.