• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it even possible to train a GCC??

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m sort of kidding. Waffle is 4 months old & came home with the ability to step up, which I think was trained very young.
I have been trying to work on “wave”, but getting this bird to sit still is almost impossible. It’s pretty much play, chew, climb, nap, play, climb, chew. :wacky:
I got a couple responses to touching the foot and commanding “wave” with a walnut reward, but there is really no consistency day to day. Waffle is constantly on the go! I guess it doesn’t matter if Waffle learns tricks as long as I have a happy, healthy bird, but curious how it’s gone for other GCC parronts?

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I've taught Kylo (GCC) to wave using flocktalk's tutorial on youtube. Give it a watch, goodluck!

Reactions: LSA

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ah ha! That was helpful--I see she just bridged it off the stepup command. I will watch more of her videos! I just didn't know how the heck I was going to get Waffle to stay still long enough for any kind of training. :laugh:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I got a couple responses to touching the foot and commanding “wave” with a walnut reward, but there is really no consistency day to daloy.
Having a specific time alone with your bird in a specific place on a specific perch for 10- 15 minutes daily works best for me. Taking Waffle out of his usual environment may even help slow him down.
The behavior is only rewarded when asked specifically for that behavior not just when done randomly. More importantly, clicker training allows immediate positive reinforcement.2
"Wave" and "Shake" are simply extensions of "Step Up" and "Step Down" commands.
GCC's are highly intelligent birds with memories that may surprise you! Take advantage of this and the fact that younger birds learn and adapt to change more quickly than older birds.
May you and Waffle have great successes! :fairy2::roflmao:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you!
Whenever I put Waffle on a stand s/he flies up on my chest. :laugh:
Perhaps when s/he gets a little older & independent we'll get more quiet time.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Whenever I put Waffle on a stand s/he flies up on my chest. :laugh:
Perhaps when s/he gets a little older & independent we'll get more quiet time.
In my experience, GCCs only get clingier... until they up and decide to hate you.:nana: Then the clingy behavior starts all over.
One previous GCC that liked a specific door, so that became where he learned "Turn Around." That "specific place on a specific perch" may not be what you expect.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Do you have a training perch or stand somewhere? A window perch is the perfect one as they love to look outside as well as a having another poop station!

They get a reward for staying there and eventually becomes a means to slow them down long enough for some training! :ballerina:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We have a playstand, but it usually means running up and down and climbing all around, or launching on to Mommy. :bounce3:
However, we do have a shower perch that doubles as a window perch so that's a really good idea! Thanks so much!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, we got all prepared to train--walnuts in my pocket, clicker on my finger..and Waffle decided today to be terrified of the shower perch. We've placed it on the window before, so this is not something new. *sigh* :blink: Silly little bird! We'll try again some other day!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
GCC's are moody and unpredictable.:( If only they'd do WHAT we wanted WHEN we wanted.:joyful:

Does Waffle already associate that perch with the shower? You might have to try training in the shower stall.

Better luck next time!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They’re so funny. Waffle has been on the perch both in the shower & on the window, so not sure what was going on today. Bird moods! :shrug3:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This week's update--Waffle is still terrified of the window perch. I wonder if something spooked Waffle outside one day and it created a bad association?
So, we are starting from scratch. Right now Waffle is lured on to the perch with a walnut, and then gets clicks & walnuts for staying on the perch. Baby steps. This is good practice for me, too! Warming up that clicker thumb!