• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail clipping stress

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hey guys,

It's coming up to that time again when Toki and Pickles need their claws trimmed. I've only had to do it once before, and although they were a little upset (they do get 'towelled' with an old T-shirt as they hate being held) it went ok. I tried to do it again the other day, and not only did I have to chase them a bit (I know, it's bad) but once held it wasn't long before they were panting very hard. The moment they started doing this, I let them go. I know I'm holding them properly as I've done this many times before with other birds.

I'm very reluctant to try again, but they do need those nails cut soon. Any advice for helping calm the little guys down?

Cheers guys

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish I could help with ideas. I have never trimmed nails and took Gigi for her first clip to the veterinarian. I plan to alternate between the vet and her breeder.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
I think I'm just going to have to chance the vet, though they'll both hate me for it!

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
The vet is probably safest, but I have trained Nedd to accept nail filings and clipping to the point that I can position the clippers around his nail and gently squeeze, but I haven't actually cut them yet.
Just make sure to have some cornflour/ quick-stop incase the vein is cut.

If you need more help just ask in regards to training, but it really depends on the birds. Nedd is not tame as such, but allows me to give him treats and is starting to let me scritch him :)