• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leia might be a boy.... :O

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So my Alexandrine Leia is a year old this week, and her documents state she's a female.... I did however recently find out that the people who re-homed her to me were kinda shady and have yet to actually make sure the ID on the paper is the same as on her leg band, so who knows really...

Anyway, she's my sweet little girl, but today I noticed... She might in fact not be! She's gotten several pink feathers at the back of her neck! :O

She's still a bit young to get a full ring were she a male, but I did some googling and found out that some males DO actually get a start on their ring during their first major molt... maybe? :p

It's definitely very noticable though. I.... Can't think of any other reason she'd get pink neck feathers other than, you know, her actually being a Surprise Male lol.

Here's a couple of pictures of her new feathers - it'll be interesting to see how this progresses!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Had she been DNA sexed?

Mitchan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Had she been DNA sexed?
Well, that's what I don't know! Her documents only say "female", but I got no DNA certificate and at this point I don't even know if the papers actually.. go with her.. Lol

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That's how my Sunny's ring came in....one little red feather at 11 months on the back of his neck :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well you can always call Leia Lee which covers both sexes and won't be too different from Leia.

Mitchan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
That's how my Sunny's ring came in....one little red feather at 11 months on the back of his neck :)
Oh, 11 months! That's also very early :') Leia's eyes haven't even turned the Alexandrine white yet and "her" pink neck keeps getting pinker and pinker lol.
So much pink now!

Mitchan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Well you can always call Leia Lee which covers both sexes and won't be too different from Leia.
She says "Hey Leia", and "Leia!" already - and is recall trained with "Leia, come!" as a cue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep calling her a "she" (you know, birds don't care about pronouns or names etc :D but I will have to always put a disclaimer stating that I do in fact know she's a male...), but even if I decided to go for changing to "he", I'd keep the name :')

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh officially name him Luke, if you're a Star Wars fan, so him calling for Leia would be appropriate :p

Mitchan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Oh officially name him Luke, if you're a Star Wars fan, so him calling for Leia would be appropriate :p
Ahahah! :rofl: I of course love Star Wars, and I LOVE Mark Hamill, but I've never really been a fan of Luke's character...

I was playing with the thought of changing "her" name to Han, while at the same time changing to he/him pronouns, because in Swedish, "han" is the word for "he".... It would turn the whole thing into a whole semi sarcastic super meta pun.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She says "Hey Leia", and "Leia!" already - and is recall trained with "Leia, come!" as a cue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep calling her a "she" (you know, birds don't care about pronouns or names etc :D but I will have to always put a disclaimer stating that I do in fact know she's a male...), but even if I decided to go for changing to "he", I'd keep the name :')
It's tough to do. Jade aka JJ is a boy but he still remembers me calling him good girl even though I've called him good boy ever since I found out that he was one.

Mitchan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
It's tough to do. Jade aka JJ is a boy but he still remembers me calling him good girl even though I've called him good boy ever since I found out that he was one.
The whole concept of changing pronouns and/or names just because their chromosomes don't line up with what we as humans have decided is masculine or feminine (names, words that describe someone, etc) just sounds a bit unneccessary to me :hehe: She's never cared about being a "she" or a "Leia" before and will never care even with the new color of the feathers at the back of her neck. I get that people do change pronouns and even names to avoid confusion and to be "correct", and that's totally cool too! If they don't care one way they don't care the other either :angelic: I don't particularly care if I'm technically "wrong" though - and I'm happy giving out disclaimers about her sex to avoid confusion.
I also absolutely won't mind other people saying "him" though and I can see myself using sentences like "She's a sweet boy" :D We'll see if I naturally change the pronouns as we go or as other people do, but I won't make an effort at it as I don't think pronouns are that important. :')

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Two weeks ago I found out 20+ year old Cocoa, given to me as a female 10 months ago is actually a male :wideyed:. I am still trying to wrap my head around it. :wacky: I dropped the "a" and now he is Coco. I was going to change it to Koko (seemed more masculine) but then decided I was being ridiculous.:facepalm: He can't spell and of course doesn't care but it is still weird some how. :confused: