• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some problems with Teri

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Teri's always been quick to anger, but recently he's been pretty bad. He gets very nippy very easily and will even lunge at Kimi out of jealousy when he wants my attention.

My idea was to tire him out with flying more, but there's my next problem - he's also started refusing to step up or recall.

I must've went wrong somewhere and associated stepping up with going back into the cage. I'm not sure what to do now. :( He will lunge at my hand pretty much every time. I had to grab him last night to get him back into the cage for the night and I hate it. The last time that was necessary was years ago.

Edit: forgot to add that they're molting and probably also hormonal right now.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He might be getting hormonal - like a teenager - moody and grumpy. Is he moulting and have lots of new pin feathers? That can also make them grumpy.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He might be getting hormonal - like a teenager - moody and grumpy. Is he moulting and have lots of new pin feathers? That can also make them grumpy.
Ah, yes, they're both molting and probably hormonal too. I've just added that. Sorry!

It's just getting very hard to deal with. Also I don't want him getting into the habit of picking on Kimi.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Do you know if they're boys or girls? I've got 4 Quakers - 2 girls & 2 boys. The girls (Loofa & Daisy) are perfectly happy sharing a cage but boys JJ and Baby Blue each have their own cage because they do not get along. JJ will fly @ Baby if Baby is sitting on my shoulder or is anywhere near me.

The girls have been able to climb over to JJ's cage a couple of times during open cage time and have sat inside JJ's cage together on a platform perch a bit below his Timothy grass construction. JJ would not leave his cage but he also wouldn't take on the girls. Neither of the girls can fly - one because of untreated injuries as a chick and the other due to arthritis and gout.

Baby has taken to sitting on the door of the girl's cage but he won't go inside. The tiels do to steal the food though they have more than enough in their own cages and the playstands. Go figure.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The tiels do to steal the food though they have more than enough in their own cages and the playstands. Go figure.
Darn thieving tiels! Ours do the same thing...and Buddy Conure is very food protective...he'll chase the tiels away from his food stash and GUARD it...

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Kimi is female, DNA sexed and also has laid eggs. We're assuming Teri is male but we don't really know. They're a pair and they have shared a cage basically their entire lives without major problems. They do get into scuffles when hormonal, but it's never anything serious.

Both can fly, but Kimi tends to stay in one place. I've been trying to train er to fly more confidently but Teri keeps getting in the way :meh: I can't let them out for very long separately for the time being.

Last edited:

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
A few minutes ago he clambered around the cage top and tried to go for my forehead while I was picking up discarded brussel sprouts... :confused: He had guarded the bowl from Kimi just to throw everything out.

I feel like I'm training an improperly socialized baby bird again... I'm really hoping this is a hormonal phase.

Also, an interesting update, they keep getting out of the cage. This morning I walked into the room to see a wide open bowl door and Kimi on the cage top, and it's not the first time. I'm not sure how they do that since it has a springlock system :blink:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Tow of my Quakers' cages have mini padlocks on all the food/water doors. They are smart enough not only to open a food bowl door but to hold it open so others can get out.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeesh, I know... I'm gonna have to start covering the turtle tank at all times :eek:

I'm lucky they haven't figured out how to take the whole cage apart by now! :lol:
Definitely make a frame with netting over it - Quakers aren't really good swimmers and your turtle(s) will give them a run for their money depending on the turtle (and size).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Quaker JJ, has discovered that most of my sandal straps are velcro and is having lots of fun opening the straps. Which now means that I have to check my sandals before I stand up. Due to breaking 3 bones in my left foot last year and having high arches, most of my sandals have to be adjustable. Much to JJ's delight and now Beni's since he's been watching JJ in action. :bash:

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I wanted to make a new tank with a lid for her but I'm probably gonna make a cover out of chicken wire or something as an emergency fix. They don't usually care for her much but better safe than sorry. It only takes a second for them to get there, and even a moment in the turtle tank is way too long, considering she's a bottomless-pit-for-a-stomach carnivore and probably carries salmonella(most reptiles do) :confused:

I'm making them a playgym from an old freestanding closet to give them something else to stand on, which should be more fun than the turtle(hopefully).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah, I wanted to make a new tank with a lid for her but I'm probably gonna make a cover out of chicken wire or something as an emergency fix. They don't usually care for her much but better safe than sorry. It only takes a second for them to get there, and even a moment in the turtle tank is way too long, considering she's a bottomless-pit-for-a-stomach carnivore and probably carries salmonella(most reptiles do) :confused:

I'm making them a playgym from an old freestanding closet to give them something else to stand on, which should be more fun than the turtle(hopefully).
Plus bubbly water interests my birds and makes them think bathing. The Quakers, gccs and sun all come to the sink area if I'm washing dishes.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeesh, I know... I'm gonna have to start covering the turtle tank at all times :eek:

I'm lucky they haven't figured out how to take the whole cage apart by now! :lol:
And even though I have padlocks, zip ties and clips on all the doors (AND food/water bowl doors) the 2 boys who are caged until the afternoon will do a perimeter check every day and rattle every door :bignono: to see if it opens. :naughty::naughty:

The Quaker girls live open cage but I've had to install bowls that lock into a base in their cages. Their idea of fun is to shake any hanging food/water bowl until it comes off the wall of the cage and they've successfully spilt all the water and food. :bash: :bash:

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That sounds like a rambunctious bunch of birds ya got there! :hehe:

Yep, a long time ago Kimi would fly over and sit on the edge of the tank, puffing up as if to prepare for a bath. Obviously I freaked and got her out of there ASAP every time it happened(maybe like 3 times total). Nowadays they don't do that but a bird can get bored quickly so who knows. Personally I'd rather not find out whether they still find her interesting.

With my mind frazzled at the end of school I ended up leaving their door unlocked a few times. They figured out how to push it open and will now try to do it even when it's locked. I still have no idea how they opened the bowl door though, that was one I'm sure was locked as I haven't used it in a while(right below their fav perch, wouldn't want insta-poopy food). Looks like I'll have to get padlocks. :rofl: