• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hoping to put up the feeders again

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hoping to get the bird feeders back up.

We used to have them up but then our neighbor put out twice as many, and all the birds started to go next door. It felt like competition and it just wasn't fun anymore.

But I miss being able to look out my window and see all sorts of birds. Dad said I can put up one for now.

We have several more though. I'm trying to convince him to get some pavers to put under the feeders, since he doesn't like the mess the birds make (and it kills the grass, which I don't give two hoots about).

Fingers crossed I can sway him.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
He let me put up 2! One has straight black sunflower seeds, the other has a country mix (with things like millet and corn and sunflower seeds). Both are covered feeders, one is a platform feeder.

We've already had some visitors, first was a male cardinal followed by a mourning dove down on the ground digging through the plants at the base, and then a whole bunch of sparrows (lots of them live in the little spruce tree in our yard).

Very happy that I have a direct view to the feeders from my bedroom window :) And a chair stationed there so I can fling open the window and take pictures!! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow awesome! You’ve got some nice birds up there. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Great pics! I love feeding the wild birds. I have a few bags of food but haven't added it to the feeder yet. It's summer, so bugs are around and berries and I don't want them to become too dependent on me so they can forage. All winter long though the feeders are full, and there is a suet cake available at all times.

Thanks for feeding your locals! :hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Nice pics. The dove is so pretty.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Dad will be going to Menard's (Midwest diy-store chain) soon (need more sunflower seeds! Imagine the horror if the feeder was to go empty!) so I think I'll tag along. We're gonna get some pavers for under the feeders and some sand to go in-between. I'd like to see about maybe another feeder, something small. That is, if I can bribe my dad into it. We have more shepherd's crooks too, so I could hypothetically put up more! I think the base of one is messed up though.

Lots of sparrows and finches today! Saw some lil guys try to take a dust bath in the platform. A lot running around on the ground too. A squirrel came to visit but he knows better than to try and climb the pole (we have a pvc-type thing around it, they slide right down!). The birds have started lining up on the fence again!