• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Padding the bottom of a cage for disabled bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just purchased a Critter Nation single unit for Java, and I intend to pad the bottom like his current cage. My issue is: I'll need something to collect his waste while also providing enough comfort for him to crawl around the cage. I've looked at waterproof fleece, and I'm currently using disposable pee pads, but he's afraid of solid light colors and won't go near them. I thought about using newspaper but if he's at the bottom of the cage, it'll make a lot of noise and won't be as comfortable as fleece or a similar material. Can anyone suggest any materials or ideas that would allow him to utilize the cage floor without laying in his own waste? He's recently begun lying down on his half-door to take weight off his foot, and I want to encourage him to take the strain off. Sorry if the message is kind of confusing.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use washable puppy pads on top of a bunch of towels for Kamara. You can get them on Amazon. They absorb all the moisture, they're super soft, and they come in different designs so Java won't have to be afraid of them. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use washable puppy pads on top of a bunch of towels for Kamara. You can get them on Amazon. They absorb all the moisture, they're super soft, and they come in different designs so Java won't have to be afraid of them. :)
How often do you change them? I typically clean Java's cage twice a day, but do you think the washable pads will be okay for a few days? Also, do you have perches for Kamara? I'm considering not putting any perches in Java's cage so he'll have to give his foot a rest, and just offer him cushions instead.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Being the el cheapo in the crowd here’s what I’ve been doing in Captain Jack ‘s cage.
I line it with newspapers. The I lay down fleece which I bought at Joanne on sale. I cut 2 pieces ( so that if he gets under it he can find his way out ) and they overlap a little bit in the cage. On top of that I put paper towels, which I can pull out as he soils them.

The fleece can be easily hand washed with dish soap and dries in the sun in no time. I have 2 sets.

This is all because Rio knocks him down a lot, so my situation is not as permanent as yours.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How often do you change them? I typically clean Java's cage twice a day, but do you think the washable pads will be okay for a few days? Also, do you have perches for Kamara? I'm considering not putting any perches in Java's cage so he'll have to give his foot a rest, and just offer him cushions instead.
I have three, and rotate them so I can change them twice daily. They're pretty easy to hand-wash.
They could probably be fine for a couple days, though, they're pretty absorbent.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put multiple layers of paper towels in Spee's cage. For resting, you could put a platform on the bottom of the cage and wrap that with vet wrap or non pilling fleece or another option is to get an appropriately sized bowl that he can easily get into and out of, line that with paper towels and put that on the bottom of the cage.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I missed the perch question!! Kamara has mostly platform perches padded with fleece, though she also has wide branch perches bound in vet wrap.
She has more mobility than Java though, since she has both feet, they're just mangled. He'd probably do well in a cage without perches!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He'd probably do well in a cage without perches!
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. How do I keep him from crawling around in his own waste since he pulls himself along with his beak? He also poops a lot when he's asleep and I don't want it to pile up under him.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
A double or triple layer of towels under a few layers of whatever you use to line your cage works fairly well. I did that with Rhibarb when she was super sick. I'd wash the towels every month or so Sidon principle since they really never got dirty under all the layers of craft paper. :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I actually use those dish "drying mats' wrapped in fleece.

I have five they live in a basket... When four are dirty with the fleece blankets I set a load of washing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.