• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sophie's new words

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few days ago I turned on the light to the aquarium to check on my Bronze Corydoras Catfish aka Cory. Sophie came over to the side of the cage where the tank is and said, "Cory". Tonight I turned on the aquarium light before I got the birds to bed to check on him and, once again, Sophie came over to that side of the cage and this time said, "Fish".
I was very surprised both times because I had never heard her say either of those words before.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
That's so cute! Do your guys have rough little voices or are they really easy to understand?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are very clever and don't seem to want us to forget :)

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Toddlers love to mimic, and that's what we all have! Oddie our YN Amazon loves to carry both sides of conversations that actually makes sense! He cracks my wife up all the time to hear him talk to himself and answer himself in a different voice! He's a hoot! I always tell my wife it's okay to talk to yourself but when you start answering yourself that's when you need to start worrying! I don't think that applies to birds though so I'm not worried yet!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so cute! Do your guys have rough little voices or are they really easy to understand?
Sometimes their speech is very clear and sometimes I have no idea what they are saying. When they are hard to understand I feel that they are practicing something new and don't have exactly right just yet. How about yours?

They are very clever and don't seem to want us to forget :)
Even though I know how intelligent they are I am still amazed sometimes at what they do or say.

Toddlers love to mimic, and that's what we all have! Oddie our YN Amazon loves to carry both sides of conversations that actually makes sense! He cracks my wife up all the time to hear him talk to himself and answer himself in a different voice! He's a hoot! I always tell my wife it's okay to talk to yourself but when you start answering yourself that's when you need to start worrying! I don't think that applies to birds though so I'm not worried yet!

That's funny about Oddie. You should video that. It's more than just parroting or mimicking. Many of our birds are learning our language and they know what they are saying most of the time, IMO. Sometimes my guys combine the words they know to create new phrases that are appropriate for the situation. Sophie is a conversationalist and the best talker of all of my red-bellies. She associates words with objects and situations and will make appropriate statements and even ask questions. She answers questions, too, and generally her answers are related to the questions.
She started talking very young and she has always had a lot to say.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Sometimes their speech is very clear and sometimes I have no idea what they are saying. When they are hard to understand I feel that they are practicing something new and don't have exactly right just yet. How about yours?

Even though I know how intelligent they are I am still amazed sometimes at what they do or say.

That's funny about Oddie. You should video that. It's more than just parroting or mimicking. Many of our birds are learning our language and they know what they are saying most of the time, IMO. Sometimes my guys combine the words they know to create new phrases that are appropriate for the situation. Sophie is a conversationalist and the best talker of all of my red-bellies. She associates words with objects and situations and will make appropriate statements and even ask questions. She answers questions, too, and generally her answers are related to the questions.
She started talking very young and she has always had a lot to say.

Every time we try to get it recorded he stops talking. I think he's a closet talker. I need to get a nanny cam to catch him in the act!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every time we try to get it recorded he stops talking. I think he's a closet talker. I need to get a nanny cam to catch him in the act!

Most of my birds are like that but some will keep talking. I have a spy camera but it has to be rotated manually so can't turn it remotely to focus on the bird who is talking.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Same actually. He likes to do what I call grumble a lot, and also sings at me going wooooooo, and kissy sounds are his FAVORITE. He says Hi and Step Up super clearly. The other day though I asked my daughter if the super intricate whistling was him (he loves to whistle too) and she said yeah and he yelled out "THAT'S ME!!!" I think with him there is still a lot of learning to do though.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Most of my birds are like that but some will keep talking. I have a spy camera but it has to be rotated manually so can't turn it remotely to focus on the bird who is talking.

That's why we call it hide and speak. Every time we are hidden from view he speaks up a storm!