• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby lorikeet

georgia b

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
georgia
need help, i have to go to school and i have 2 new born rainbow lorikeets, i have not taken them out of the nest as they are only 7 years old, when should i take them out?
unfortunately because i have to attend school i will be gone for around 8 hours a day but i have no one to do it for me, how long can the baby lorikeets survive without food?
do you have suggestions on the quantity of dry mix to mix with water?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
First of all, before anyone can help u, we need a bit more background info.

How did you get them?

Have you bred these, or are they wild?

Do you have their parents?

Do you mean 7 days old?

Are you planning on handrearing them?

Did you buy unweaned babies?

Why do you have them if you are too busy at school to feed them?

If you live in aus, and have found wild babies, don't take them from the nest! If however you have found them abandoned, please take them to a wildlife carer. Do not surrender them to a vet, as they may be euthanized if the vet cannot pass them on to a carer.
Please, if you are busy at schoold, do not attempt to handrear them yourself! Without time or help, they may die.

Please, give us more info on your birds so that we can help you.

@WallyLoopey has some lorikeets and may be able to help.

georgia b

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
georgia
i bought them from a man at the markets where i have bought all my birds from, they have been dna’d, everything ive read on facebook sites for lorikeet breeders, say that it’s common for the male to attack the babies, i don’t want this to happen, so i don’t need you to attack me, i am just asking the question to do the right thing. this is the 3rd lot of eggs, first 2 batches did not hatch because she laid them on the ground. they are about 7 days old.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
i bought them from a man at the markets where i have bought all my birds from, they have been dna’d, everything ive read on facebook sites for lorikeet breeders, say that it’s common for the male to attack the babies, i don’t want this to happen, so i don’t need you to attack me, i am just asking the question to do the right thing. this is the 3rd lot of eggs, first 2 batches did not hatch because she laid them on the ground. they are about 7 days old.
Okay, thank you.
I am so sorry I hurt you, pls forgive me. Sometimes, I get too worried about the birds and forget that there's a human on the other side :sadhug2:
Sadly, I don't actually know much about the feeding requirements of baby lories, but hopefully another member can help.

Again, I'm sorry that you interpreted my previous post badly, I can be a little brash sometimes :unsure1:
Looking forward to seeing you around :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I’m a little confused, do you own the parents or just the babies?

I’ve handfed all my birds, but never lorikeets. I do have two lorikeets however and they are very aggressive birds, even to each other.

I’m not sureI can help with any handrearing at all, as I’m pretty sure it would be different than a normal parrot.

I’ve handfed easily over 30 birds and I myself would not do it. I would have really suggested you get a weaned lorikeet if that’s what you were after.

Speak to the person you obtained them from-if they have been breeding them they should know what works vs what doesn’t. Handfeeding without experience is dangerous. In the beginning I did have a bird die from it- a lot can go wrong.

As for the mixture of nectar I use 4 tablespoons mix to 1 cup of water. That is Blessings brand which can be found at mysafebirdstore.com. I can’t recommend mixture amounts for other brands.

When they do start eating on their own-avoid all citris, grapes, bananas, seeds amd hard foods.

I stick to a very short list of foods that can be had daily- peaches, pear, apple, watermelon, cucumber. You want low iron and these fruits are the safest. You can blend them or finely chop-watermelon can obviously be offered just sliced.

Nectar should be changed twice a day, do not leave in the cage at night. I find it keeps longer if you offer it cold.

Your babies should be pooping, or should I say squirting (yup, ew!) regularly. Which means A LOT. Always offer fresh water as well. I also give mine a dry insectivore/softbill mix that they just love, also made by Blessings. It’s called Bugs n Fruit.

Lorikeets are hard to handle but once you’re down to a routine and your safe list of foods it becomes easier.

Good luck

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
If they are 7 days old and the parents are with them, do not take them from the nest-especially if you haven’t actually seen signs of aggression from parents.

The best thing to do is give them privacy and a quiet place.