• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird mom needs a morale boost

Onhsid

Checking out the neighborhood
I have been a bird mom to a lovely green cheek and patagonian conure for 13 and 10 years now. I got my g.c when I was 16 and my p.c when I was 19. Like most adolescents I was not thinking about the future. I love them both dearly and they have been the only consistent factor in my life over the years. But recently I feel like I am not being fair to them because they are both truly amazing feathered family members. I do not know if it is the stress of my life situation right now or what. I do not know anyone else who has birds so I was hoping to find some guidance here.
So let me lay it out a bit.
I am an early emerging artist, which has not been easy or had any financial stability. Four years ago I had an opportunity to move to Alaska from my home town of Indiana. So I packed up with the kids (birds) and we moved into a tiny studio for two years. The move was incredibly stressful on them, right after the move I almost lost my p.c to some sickness. After the two years we moved to Utah for a year and now we are in Montana where I am attending a graduate program. We have had to move 3 times in the past year which is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive with the kids. With in the past two years I have had to travel for training for a month here and two weeks there. Luckily I have an incredibly patient partner who has cared for them while I am away even though they do not care for him. My partner is currently still in Utah so I am finding sitters and such for my travels which I know is stressful on them.
I am doing my best for them, and I spend time with them every day. I love them and I cannt imagine my life without them but at what point am I doing them an injustice or just being selfish? Am I not being selfish? Am I horrible bird mom? Do we stick it out together in hopes my life calms down in a few years after school?
I guess I am looking for some guidance or support from other bird parents.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all, I would like to applaud you for keeping your fids this long and taking them with you. I read so many posts online about pet owners moving and not wanting to take their pet(s) with them. Me, personally, my bird's home is with me, and if that means bouncing around a bit until we find solid ground, then we'll stick it out together. I think you're doing a very good job, and your birds are happy with you. They are family, and family sticks together until the very end.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Life is never smooth sailing throughout :) It is not at all selfish to keep your family together until it settles back down. That's what we all try to do whenever possible. It doesn't matter if your family is just you and a spouse, with human children, or with pets. We weather the storm until we find the harbor. That's being responsible.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you sound like a great bird mom. A lot of people wouldn't have made the effort that you have to keep you all together. You are their home. When I first got my tiel, I was always worried about having to take him places (not the same as moving I realize) but I soon realized he would rather be with me in a strange place than without me alone at home. I'm sure you're birds will do fine with whatever changes that come in the future because they're with you.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great answers!

I agree with them, hang in there!

Onhsid

Thanks so much, everyone. I just really needed another opinion today that I wasn't making their lives hell. I just got back from a 2-week training and leave again in a few weeks. My heart broke when I got them out this morning and they were just stuck to me like glue more so than normal. You realize how amazing your kids are and wonder if you are the best for them.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on some extra special methods to keep your birds busy for extended periods, (also on the extra cheap, and easy for bird sitters to set up)?
Or tricks/resources to finding reliable bird sitters for that matter?

Thanks again, everyone!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'd call their vet to see if they had recommendations.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Foraging toys if you aren't already

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I have been a bird mom to a lovely green cheek and patagonian conure for 13 and 10 years now. I got my g.c when I was 16 and my p.c when I was 19. Like most adolescents I was not thinking about the future. I love them both dearly and they have been the only consistent factor in my life over the years. But recently I feel like I am not being fair to them because they are both truly amazing feathered family members. I do not know if it is the stress of my life situation right now or what. I do not know anyone else who has birds so I was hoping to find some guidance here.
So let me lay it out a bit.
I am an early emerging artist, which has not been easy or had any financial stability. Four years ago I had an opportunity to move to Alaska from my home town of Indiana. So I packed up with the kids (birds) and we moved into a tiny studio for two years. The move was incredibly stressful on them, right after the move I almost lost my p.c to some sickness. After the two years we moved to Utah for a year and now we are in Montana where I am attending a graduate program. We have had to move 3 times in the past year which is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive with the kids. With in the past two years I have had to travel for training for a month here and two weeks there. Luckily I have an incredibly patient partner who has cared for them while I am away even though they do not care for him. My partner is currently still in Utah so I am finding sitters and such for my travels which I know is stressful on them.
I am doing my best for them, and I spend time with them every day. I love them and I cannt imagine my life without them but at what point am I doing them an injustice or just being selfish? Am I not being selfish? Am I horrible bird mom? Do we stick it out together in hopes my life calms down in a few years after school?
I guess I am looking for some guidance or support from other bird parents.
If you're a bad bird mom, I would be awful! I moved my Amazon and macaw from Utah (!) to the south, to the northeast, and back to the south in the last 10 yrs. After the 2nd move, they developed stress-related yeast infections, which were treated. I travel out of the country twice per year, and several shorter conferences. My family and neighbors watch over them while I'm gone.

Birds don't need you to be there every moment, every day. They need to know you're coming back, and that you care for them. I think it would be more traumatic for them to be re-homed, to live with a stranger they haven't bonded with, with all kinds of potential hazards and stresses, or to be passed from home to home... You're doing the best you can, and they know that.

Amy Rodzinka

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I applaud you! Moving is tough enough alone, let alone with babies as well.
Hang in there, they love you and would be devastated without you.