• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cock bird to hen ratio

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi all

My new bird room is well on its way.

I have 2 cock birds to go in it...they get on very well. One is in his prime and the other is in his later years. I am considering putting some hens in the bird room first. .but just need an idea of ratios, males to females, so I can get it right. The measurements are 1m width x 3m length x 3m height

Serin

My experience is even pairs are the best. Some males will bond to two hens, but mine would bond with one and chase the others, and the females also would fight over the males.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@Serin
Yes Ive noticed some have bonded with 1 or 2. I have 2 cock birds who only have eyes for their mate. 1 cock bird did like/pair with 2 but I lost 1 hen Spike..poor Spike. So yes they are very loyal and dotting. A very good point.
I have also noticed that hens can be feisty and one of my hens, Princess, doesnt seem to get along with the males..she is a spinster bless her. She is friendly with the other hens, holds her ground with a squabble and trusting with me.

I will certainly consider this when planning the new birds in the new room. I am trying to carefully work out who they like and by the end each area will have more than enough room. I will not keep all of my 11 chicks even if they are hens so overcrowding wont be a an issue. Im only keeping 4.

Thankyou serin

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I will not keep all of my 11 chicks even if they are hens so overcrowding wont be a an issue.
Gahhhhh this is so hard.

I want to keep all of m y canaries. They aren’t even weaned yet and I’m leaning twoard keeping them. And I tend to keep a lot of Finch babies.

Are you keeping them in a group? I don’t colony breed canaries. Males can kill other males.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@finchly

It is a dilemma. I have 3 cockbirds, Sugar, Honey, Ribbon, that get along nicely...but they do have the space to get away from each other during the breeding season. I actually see them all eating together. Jelly Bean is housed with Buffy..2 cockbirds. Jelly Bean did fight with Ribbon his brother. The fighting was very aggressive. I had to remove Jelly Bean as he was upsetting the calm. Buffy was just being a dipstick and being awkward. But Jelly Bean and Buffy get on fine..Jelly Bean is top dog and Buffy respects that. I watch them very closely.

I know the feeling of keeping them but I have too many males so no more boys.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet
@finchly

Lol yes they look so cute but are very territorial. Sugar really misses Jelly Bean. They seem to have a dad (Sugar) and son (Jelly Bean) relationship..they are not related bless them. When Jelly Bean was in the aviary he helped feed Sugars chicks..really remarkable. The chicks were well fed by 3 of them the obvious hen, the father and Jelly baby lol.

So...males do get on in a colony but it needs space and alternative arrangements for just in case. Until males are together it cannot be predicted if they are tolerable of others. One of my cock birds Willow has to be away from all males. .hence why he is in the house..he was taking them all on..naughty Willow.

A juggling act best decribes a canary colony. Once the right males are together then all is calm

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Wow, these are some intelligent little birds! It seem like as a canry parent, you really have to learn how to be observant like them, so you can figure out their distinct behaviors and social structure. Very fascinating lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow, these are some intelligent little birds! It seem like as a canry parent, you really have to learn how to be observant like them, so you can figure out their distinct behaviors and social structure. Very fascinating lol
Holy cow, I forget canaries can get super agressive around other canaries! :jawdrop1:
Yes - and they change. I guess depending on breeding season, hormones, and "what they feel like." :facepalm: I had everyone flying around the aviary for awhile but once Robin and Mama decided to make a nest they were both aggressive toward the little male. Now the babies are... I forget how old, but beginning to eat on their own.... so the parents don't care as much. But with multiples you have to be vigilant. They could get along today and need separated tomorrow.

We have two that keep escaping. The little male and his sister that you named.....oh shoot....... @sheeluhwhet what did we name her?? Anyway those 2 escape from their cages constantly. Hubby doesn't know the diff, he knows they're canaries but that's all so he wanders the house with a bird in his hand to ask me where to put it. :laugh:

Serin

Cocks raised in aviaries learn social skills, how to fit into a flock, and will be able to live in groups.
But many breeders isolated males in tiny cages almost immediately, they learn nothing about normal canary behavior and so when you let them out they can be extraordinarily aggressive both to other males and to females. Because they've been inhibited from learning canary social graces.

You see the same with other male animals isolated from their kind except to breed, like race horses, which sometimes try to kill the mares when introduced because they just never learned how to interact with others of their species.

When I raised canaries together I had brothers which formed a bond and always hung out together.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Yes - and they change. I guess depending on breeding season, hormones, and "what they feel like." :facepalm: I had everyone flying around the aviary for awhile but once Robin and Mama decided to make a nest they were both aggressive toward the little male. Now the babies are... I forget how old, but beginning to eat on their own.... so the parents don't care as much. But with multiples you have to be vigilant. They could get along today and need separated tomorrow.

We have two that keep escaping. The little male and his sister that you named.....oh shoot....... @sheeluhwhet what did we name her?? Anyway those 2 escape from their cages constantly. Hubby doesn't know the diff, he knows they're canaries but that's all so he wanders the house with a bird in his hand to ask me where to put it. :laugh:
Mabeline! :D

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Canaries may be small but they have big personalites! It's really interesting to hear about your guys' stories. Oh I do have a follow up question: do siblings remember each other and get along when they grow up?? @Serin you said you had brothers that formed a bond, is this not common?

Do your two siblings just wait by the door and wait to fly out? Peeps does that sometimes lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do your two siblings just wait by the door and wait to fly out?
YES! They’re out before we realize it. We’re like hey, somebody’s out. Or worse: did you see a bird go by?? Little sneaks.

I have been thinking about just letting them be together. They;ve been doing this for months. No breeding of course, I can toss eggs if there are any.

@Serin I believe what you’re saying about males not learning to be birds applies to many different animals as well. Even with hand raised birds that are pulled from the parents and completely human raised, I see a difference. We aren’t doing them any favors! To counter that, I try to keep all juveniles in a cage with a same-species adult if at all possible. The Aviary is best, but sometimes it is full.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi all

@Serin @sheeluhwhet @finchly

A very interesting thread this has turned out to be.

I have to say I find their natural behaviour very interesting. In the avairy I currently have 8 juveniles and 9 adults. I love watching their interactions. 7 juveniles will definitely be rehomed. I keep records of all of them..hatched dates..ring colour or ID..it helps. I will house all juveniles to go together because @Serin made a very good point. If they are not used to their own kind they are going to be antisocial. Some of my adult canaries keep to themselves. .Im now guessing because they are not used to others free flying about.

They are all different like we are and if their little personalities clash then odear lol I step in. All is calm..will be calmer once the juveniles are removed once they are weaned and they will be housed as mixed sexes. 7 weeks serin said for weaning. Chicks start trying their beaks on seed at 4 weeks..Ive seen this for myself with all of my chicks