• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver Biopsy?

SpoiledFids

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
We are considering an endoscopic liver biopsy for our 11 year old female Eclectus, Lucy. Has anyone here had experience with this, or any other type of liver biopsy? If so, was a definitive diagnosis made? Were there any complications? I am terrified…

Here is a “brief” history of the issue:
Lucy has had elevated bile acids for the last 4+ years. Back in January 2014, she suffered a traumatic beak injury. She was on Baytril for a good 2-3 months, Meloxicam for over 6-8 weeks and was anesthetized twice for procedures to cap her beak while it healed. Prior to the injury, her bile acids were always on the lower end of the normal range. The first high reading was shortly after the injury & treatments. Despite being discounted by some vets, I firmly believe there is some correlation.

Over the last 4 years, we have taken her to several experienced avian vets, including Dr. Welle at U of I. All of her other blood work (liver enzymes, cholesterol, etc.) is normal. X-ray and a CT scan w/contrast did not show lipidosis or scar tissue, or anything remarkable except slight inflammation. We’ve tried numerous milk thistle, dandelion & herbal supplements, Aloe Detox, and a couple of rounds of Doxycycline. After the first round of Doxy, there was some improvement, though still above normal. The 2nd round did nothing in terms of the bile acids.

Our current vet is recommending a biopsy. They offer endoscopic biopsies, but their experience with this technique is limited.

Lucy has been our daughter for 11 years and, to us, this is a bigger decision than buying a house or car. Any input would be appreciated!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Hank had a liver biopsy (endoscopic) and it showed that he had some scarring and cirrhosis. His liver had been damaged by the Aspergillosis medication that he had been on for a very long time. He was also on Baytril for weeks on end, so that may have been part of it too. He had had several endoscopies and came through all of them jus fine. He was subdued for a couple of days, but that is all. My vet is really good at endoscopies and does minimal damage.