• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going camping!

Tibbz812

Meeting neighbors
Ok everybody, I have a new dilemma! My wife’s birthday is next month and she’s been looking at campers for a while....that being said I’m surprising her with one.

The plan is to be able to take us, our two dogs and our green cheek along and make it a real family event. Our feathered daughter already has a decent travel cage and a backpack ready to go!

The question is....how will she handle it? She would ride in the truck with us and be in the camper when we are and temps would be sure to comfortable for her, but what about her sleep schedule? She generally goes to bed at 7:30pm and wakes up around 5:30-6am and she has her own room. The camper is all one shared space, so she’ll hear everything. Is it gonna be too much stress? I feel better knowing she’s with us versus being at home with a sitter since she’s been rehomed 3 times. I don’t want her thinking we aren’t coming back. Any suggestions?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
There is a member here "Alien J".........they travel in a motorhome with their parrot. Not sure if there are others.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Is she familiar with her travel carrier and backpack? If not, I would start introducing it to her now. My sun conures have a backpack and its their home away from home when we go on day trips. I point to the backpack, they will climb down the cage and waddle to the backpack. They do the same when I am at the bird store, they feel very safe in it. Maybe spend a few nights in the camper at home with the family and see how she takes it? I have no experience camping with birds, these are just suggestion to acclimate her to the new environment.

Attachments

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I am interested in this thread because I have been toying with the idea of taking my BCC camping with me. I have the back pack cage and yesterday I did some chores outside with him. I took him with me to take my granddaughter daughter home and all went well. I do tent camping. I have a harness that I need to train him to wear.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Consider covering her travel cage in the camper when it's her bedtime? She'll still be able to hear things but they'd be noises from you and the dogs which would be familiar to her.

And as DoubleTake suggested put her travel cage and backpack in her room so she gets used to them. Thinking out loud, maybe put a treat in each to encourage her to go in without having to be put in either. Even though she has her own room, start putting a cover over her cage so it won't be a surprise when camping?