• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

European starling baby

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
A friend of a friend called me up at almost 9 pm and told me she needed my help because her dad found a baby bird in the parking lot of his workplace today and was going to take it out in the woods and just let something eat it. :bash: Of course she wouldn’t let him do that and took it away from him, but then she didn’t know what to do with it. My friend of course said “Jenn has birds, she’ll know what to do with it.” Of course. Lol.

They didn’t even know what it was when she brought it to me but I figured out pretty quickly that it’s a Starling, about 11 days old. It’s not hurt, but it was cold and hungry. I actually did know what to do for it, and it has been fed a cat food/applesauce/hand feeding mix and is in a box with a heating pad.

The closest rehab center to us is over an hour away but I don’t think they’ll take it because SC considers Starlings an invasive pest. My kids have already named it Nanner (short for Banana because of its huge yellow beak) and are begging to keep it. Looks like I have another bird. My soft heart keeps getting me in trouble.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwww - what a story! Welcome little Nanner to the flock here. I can't wait to hear updates. Bet she is a darling.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They are legal to keep as they aren't native and invasive and it should imprint and bond with you if you decide to raise and keep him. I hear they make great companions. We rescued a baby female house finch from a crow and she bonded and was a happy little flea in our flock. She sang the songs of her people and played with her toys and stole our food and drink and loved baths.

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
Welcome Nanner! Love the beak! :cheer:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for rescuing this baby. Your doing everything right..can you get some mealworms? And powdered calcium? A reptile store would have the calcium, drown the mealworms...dust them in the calcium, he/she should take to them quickly. Love the name, my friend had a starling, he was a comical little thing.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
He’s (she’s?) doing so good. Little Nanner grew a lot in one day! I read something on starling talk about mealworms maybe being only good as treats? But I’ll definitely add the calcium to the food mix. I’m so excited about this cute, smart, unexpected little addition to my flock.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Also, I was blown away when I read what good little pets starlings make. I had no idea they could talk!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Most baby songbirds have the coolest coloring inside their throat. Pretty sure as a easy target for the parents to aim for when feeding them. Beeper we would fill up till her crop was bulging out and she'd be so happy and fall asleep. I don't remember her needing feedings overnight but she was almost flegded but still tiny when we found her. We just kept stuffing baby parrot formula down her whenever she started screaming and as she got older she self weaned and started eating finch food and whatever she could steal from us.
She would still do the baby bird wing shaking and cheeping whenever she saw a favorite treat even as a full grown adult and she would sleep on my mouse hand while I surfed, made it hard to do things but was so cute :xflove:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For calcium I crushed up Tums (as per the Starling Talk formula recipe) and added it to the formula when I was hand feeding Spee, my house sparrow. Never had to feed him throughout the night which was a good thing. I used wooden coffee stirrers to give him the food. He loved gobbling that "stuff" down.
Spee talks which amazes most people.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
AAAAAAAAAHJSFDfhdksjafhskldjfh SO CUTE! How could anyone even consider leaving this gorgeous bananaphone out in the woods to be eaten??? Is he blind?????????

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I don’t know how any human being with a heart could even consider that as an option. That is vile to me. My husband asked me why I would keep this bird and he got the stink eye. He looked at me for a few seconds and said “never mind. I already lost this one, didn’t I?”

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I don’t know how any human being with a heart could even consider that as an option. That is vile to me. My husband asked me why I would keep this bird and he got the stink eye. He looked at me for a few seconds and said “never mind. I already lost this one, didn’t I?”
:coffeescreen: At least he knows it's a moot point to argue with you over your Banana! Watch him/her imprint primarily on your hubby.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
That would be funny but highly unlikely. Nanner has been fed almost exclusively by me and my two oldest daughters so far and hubby will be lucky if the kids ever let Nanner out of their sight. Between Nanner and the new Caique, Cookie, the kids are in birdie heaven this week.