• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will it be possible

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I have one of my male budgie chicks inside I wanna see if its possible to teach him to talk with just recordings of budgies talking I've had him in since May 30th I've been having a recording play all day every day except on weekends he gets a break I'm not sure how long a budgie takes for a first word to come out but so far nothing but a day after bringing him in he was stepping up on my finger.... he also seems to have mastered his flying skills lol so I will update if he actually picks up any words
This pic was taken yesterday during his time to get exercise B42B1B48-7E35-4080-85D7-27CF01D9EF12.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My birds never learn anything from the TV, radio, etc.. They only learn from me talking to them, or noises. The more excitement you put behind what you want them to say, the more likely they are to pick it up.

Sometimes it takes months to learn anything, and not all birds are interested in talking, or prefer noises

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
My birds never learn anything from the TV, radio, etc.. They only learn from me talking to them, or noises. The more excitement you put behind what you want them to say, the more likely they are to pick it up.

Sometimes it takes months to learn anything, and not all birds are interested in talking, or prefer noises
Well if by the end of summer he doesnt pick up anything he will go back with his flock outside as I can't have them in the house during the winter as it makes me wheeze

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In my experience some budgies will talk and others will not despite all your efforts. One of my budgies was a super talker and he learned many words that I routinely said to him. Sometimes it just took a few days for him to say back to me what I said. I never made an effort in that direction because I really have no expectations of any bird talking. It leads to disappointment. The male budgie I have now does not talk and that's ok! No recording is going to "teach" a bird to talk.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well if by the end of summer he doesnt pick up anything he will go back with his flock outside as I can't have them in the house during the winter as it makes me wheeze

So is he going back outside because of your wheeze, or because he didn't learn any words??

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you wanting him to learn words that he will speak in context or just to be able to speak period? When my grey learns words from the tv she can say them fine but it's mostly the words she learns from my talking to her and showing her visually that she says them in context. Parrots of any type pretty much learn to talk in context the same way children do

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have taught many birds to say a few words and do trick whistles. They are far more likely to learn when in an exited state. I repeat my desired word/whistle a few times when I interact with my bird. Whenever they do the word/whistle, I often come to the cage or repeat it from where I am to show my pleasure. So it gives my bird a way to call me rather than just a contact call. They seem to like it and I do too. I do use a little mimic machine with my whistle and play it for an hour in mid morning. After decades of practice I have a very clear and pretty whistle. IMHO, I think it would be stressful for a bird to hear a repeated sound playing all day.

My 4 month old Linnie now does a kiss when I ask for one. I can request in a variety of ways like "Gimme a kiss!" or "You got any kisses?" She even does it for company and for her veterinarian. She also does a wolf whistle, a come here whistle (like calling a cab) and our newest as of this week a charge whistle. I have worked on Pretty Bird with no results. It would be fun for her to say a word, but I love hearing her normal Gigi sounds along with my whistles as she goes about her day.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Picking up language in context is the way to go, not parroting what is on some recording. Talk to your budgie, tell your budgie what you are doing, describe what your budgie is doing, talk to other people in front of your budgie, name objects and colors, etc. Your budgie may or may not learn to talk. It depends on the individual bird.
BTW, what is the name of this budgie? He is very cute

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Trevor Jeffs - I cracked up at the 'bird phone'! They are so cute, and I love watching budgies, so entertaining and sweet.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
You can try to teach him how to talk, but not all birds will learn how to do it, and that’s okay. Maybe try getting him to trust you more and then try talking to him to see if he picks up anything. Either way, I think it’s important to focus on loving him the way he is, whether talking or not.

So is he going back outside because of your wheeze, or because he didn't learn any words??

I’m also confused on what you meant, @Budgiebonkers. But I really hope it’s not the latter of the two that Shawna mentioned.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I am using videos of budgies talking and playing, to help Vanya learn to speak. He listens and watches them all day, every day. He learned to play with toys from watching them. He has learned several words. His friends and there are quite a few of them, all speak very clear Russian. They all can count to 5:

1,2,3, 4, 5, the birdie came for a walk. In Russian, this rhymes.

They know children's songs. One can say "Open my cage, I want to fly" Another says, "I want a beer"

Recently a friend loaned me an outstanding book to read, called Alex and Me. It is about an African Gray and how brilliant these birds are. It is my opinion that budgies are equally as intelligent and capable as their larger cousins. I see budgies doing flighted recall - fly to the shoulder, now back to the cage. I see them identifying colors. Riding skateboards, playing basketball and billiards.

I think a relationship with the bird helps a lot. The first word is the most difficult.

I have read, that a bird learns 10 times faster from another bird.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
oh, and right now. The new budgie, being in quarantine, is listening only to the birds talking in the other room. So, you could say that we will be having an experiment here too. It will be interesting to see if the new bird, from hearing only, and from me talking to him, will pick up words. Vanya does speak some. He says Privet (hi), Zhorichka, (a cyber buddy's name), "Kogda Zhorik" (when Zhorik), and I have heard him say I love you in Russian also.

The Alex book goes into detail about how a bird learns. This bird was taught similarly to how we teach children to speak. With more than one person doing the training. It gave me a lot of information, and insight into how Vanya and the new guy learn too. That African Grey learned that he could have control in his environment by being able to make requests and having them given to him.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That sounds like a great book @vanyasmom - I guess the Grey learns not only the words, but the meaning as well, which I didn't know was possible until reading about our beloved Milton here! (And some of the other larger birds here.)

A few years ago, I ran into this song on Youtube, which was portrayed as "Mongolian rap". I couldn't, in my wildest imagination figure out what rap would sound like in Mongolian, so I had to play it. I was hooked! Addicted to this song. So when Fergus came in June 2017, he heard it - A LOT! A friend even made me MP3's I guess it is called, to store on my computer. (I was trying to sing the song and learn the words HA!) In one part of this song, it pauses, then says HEY CHOO! (very emphatically). One day, out of the blue around August, Fergus nearly YELLS in his cage - CHEE CHOO CHEE CHOO CHEE CHOO - FOUR TIMES! It took me at least a month, to figure out he was imitating that song! To this day though, these are the only recognizable words he has said... SOMEONE (not sure if it's Fergus or Fiona) when I have covered them at night is saying something that sounds like 'NEET'... which I think is their way of saying "Nite nite"!

Here's the Mongolian song - if any of you dare to play it and get addicted like I did LOL! (Please tell me if you do, I haven't found anyone yet who loves it as much as me!) At one time I was using it as a form of anger management, (instead of bad words) ha ha, no one will suspect me to be swearing if it's Mongolian, right? :coffeescreen:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I'm only keeping him in for the summer because I am allergic to the dander so if by end of summer he doesn't pick up any words he goes back with his flock

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Picking up language in context is the way to go, not parroting what is on some recording. Talk to your budgie, tell your budgie what you are doing, describe what your budgie is doing, talk to other people in front of your budgie, name objects and colors, etc. Your budgie may or may not learn to talk. It depends on the individual bird.
BTW, what is the name of this budgie? He is very cute
His name is Snip his brothers are named Kubla Kraus and Sir Ravenal his sister is named Jacq

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This bird is a male and already is hand tame since Ive been taking daily pics since he was born

Oh HOW I WANT to pet my budgies...! OH HOW they DON'T want me to! :confused::cautious::p

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Here's the Mongolian song - if any of you dare to play it and get addicted like I did LOL! (Please tell me if you do, I haven't found anyone yet who loves it as much as me!)
I played it for both budgies. JoJo didn't care, but Tommy loved it! Of course, it may have been the phone. He seems fascinated that my phone talks and now It raps, too!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I played it for both budgies. JoJo didn't care, but Tommy loved it! Of course, it may have been the phone. He seems fascinated that my phone talks and now It raps, too!
Ha ha - love that your phone is a rapper now! It's amazing to me that all have such different personalities and tastes. Fiona loves Johnny Mathis, Fergus loves anything that's rock, and noisy!