• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NON URGENT for 2 lovebirds

Zerø

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jadyn
Hello. I got 2 female lovebirds that are sisters, though I'm not sure they are confirmed female but the person I got them from said the shop had tested them, Idk really. Anyway, sometimes they fight and bicker. And I wanna know if its a danger. Lily sometimes starts it with Filia and will play bite her it seems, theres only been one time i heard Filia squeal which to me is that's the first time doing that became a problem. It happened when Filia had flew over to the food bowl right next to Lily and Lily had then acted out by fluttering her wings and then proceeded to get rough. This act of aggression I'm sure was caused by Filia almost pushing Lily off. Usually they sit together follow each other and get along well, but at least every day they're bickering and biting. Is it a danger? Or just playfulness?
Edit: Lily doesn't bite too hard, she usually does a light nip, though theres been a few times ive seen her get a little iffy. Filia rarely bites,

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Females typically don't get along very well, and as they mature, it will probably worsen. You're better off separating them in to different cages immediately. They can still talk to each other, but from the safety of their own "homes".

Zerø

Real Name
Jadyn
Oof are you sure? Id hate to do that as my big cage was a lot of $ and they get along well except when it comes to sharing stuff really. I'll definitely try and consider it though. Thank you!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Lovebirds could maim/kill each other. I wouldn't risk having two incompatible birds to live together in the same cage.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
I second that. Lovies are adorable, but they can be really aggressive. I understand about the money you paid for the cage, but one dies--or both--it will be awful.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your lovebirds are showing any signs of aggression towards one another then the best thing you can do for them is to separate them. It's much better to be safe rather than sorry.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think you might end up having to separate them........but you could try different feeding stations not close to each other and see if that stops the bickering at the food bowl. But with separate cages, they each have their own territory, and they can visit each other, but can be separated if they start biting/bickering with each other. I have heard of two females getting along famously, but it's rare I think. I have two boys that are siblings and they do get along famously even with one food bowl. When one bird thinks the other has had enough food he grabs the bowl with his beak and starts banging it up and down it to make his brother fly off. They both do that to each other.........it's rather comical and I can hear it from any room in the house, LOL. Good luck and keep us posted with what works.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Please separate them. You'll likely live to regret it if you don't. One (or both) of them might not.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Separate them asap

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
As everyone has already said you need to separate them because the girls are 10x's more aggressive then the boys and they can seriously hurt each other or worse. You can get a good sized flight cage for one of them for a pretty good price. If you need to put a separator in the cage until you can get the new cage set up so there is no unwanted fighting going on.

Zerø

Real Name
Jadyn
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely put up a separator until I can get another cage.I highly appreciate the help!