• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pond nearly rehabbed

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Actually, the liner is in, it's filled, the filters running, and the fish and plants are back in. Still have to finish the edging, and repot the one bunch of water irises.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That’s huge! I have come to dislike very much our pond. It’s just a money pit, but hubby likes it, so it stays.

Do you ever get heron after your fish? I take it you don’t get raccoons around.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A heron had a very expensive meal some years ago. And a :extremeanger: coon got every.fish.in.the.pond two years ago. The net was not secured, I guess, and the rotten little monster got my fish and killed the catfish too. Nasty, rotten, evil raccoons. I was not home at the time.

Aren’t you concerned about coons getting your fish?

Did all your koi make it thru the winter? Three of ours died. The third one died sometime overnight. It just worked out that I brought home a white koi before I found the third dead one. I named the white koi Blanche. She is swimming with the other koi just fine.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That pond is awesome, you look so happy, and cooling off too! My neighbor gave up his pond after the herons ate thousands of dollars worth of koi..he turned it into a fountain. Good luck with your lovely pond Dan.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Most of what we have right now are goldfish, rather than koi. If the heron gets some, or the coons do, it's okay. The pond has some pretty good hiding places, despite what it looks like.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Thought we might have a problem this morning. Went out early and there was not a fish to be seen. I thought "uh-oh, did the raccoons find them that quick?" But when it got a little lighter, they started emerging from the hide boxes we put in the pond. One of the hiding places is a terra-cotta chimenea with no chimney. It forms a natural cave for the fish, and has a layer of small shiny stones and marble in it. This morning several of the larger fish are going in and out of it. They are rearranging the stones. Some of the stones are being carried out of the cave and dropped.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Just ordered some new plants for the pond.

Hornwort - Ceratophyllum Demersum, which is supposed to oxygenate the water, as well as helping to deal with algae.

Dwarf Bulrush - Typha minima

Royal Pickerel Rush - pontederia Dilatata

They should arrive by Thursday.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
My wife came up with a great idea! We were looking at steps to get in and out of the pond for maintenance. Instead, she suggested a small (2'x3') redwood dock sticking out into the pond.

I like it!