• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent possible bornavirus 4 month old ggc

georgieporgie

Moving in
hello, i just adopted a 4 month old conure and i took him to the vet today for a physical. he seems to have trouble balancing and griping. when i pick him up his legs shake. im hoping its just because hes young and clumsy but they recommended a bornavirus test but i cant afford it at the moment. i'll get it asap but for now they said to monitor him. what should i be watching for? will it kill him? ive never had a sick bird before and im pretty scared..... any advice?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be other things besides Avian Bornavirus. How long have you had him? What types of tests did the vet do or was it just a visual examination? Hope he will be OK.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
IDK but I think 4 mo is early for severe symptoms of that disease but those symptoms need checking. Hope its just nerves/stress. Did you just get him...I suppose so as they wean about 3 mo.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
they recommended a bornavirus test but i cant afford it at the moment. i'll get it asap but for now they said to monitor him. what should i be watching for? will it kill him? ive never had a sick bird before and im pretty scared..... any advice?
ASAP might be too late if there's something seriously wrong with him. It's really unfair to get an animal and make them wait for vet testing sometime in the future. He could have a broken pelvis and be in serious pain, among a myriad of other things. If you wait for later, it might just wind up costing you more money as his condition deteriorates and he requires more medication, more specialized care, ect.

I read your other posts and saw you said you felt really bad for him because he was returned several times. Don't you feel just as bad for keeping him and denying him the medical care he so obviously needs? IMHO, that's way worse than returning an animal to a store.

And you have another bird. If you can't afford the test for one bird, how are you going to afford the test AND medications for TWO birds if this is something contagious?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good points...I was not aware of the history but the bird should be quarantined if it is new.

Tremors can be a result of pain. Have to guage whether it came like that or it developed & if the bird had any accidents or ingested anything bad etc.

If i was a single incident then the bird could have seen scared. If its something all the time its serious & needs attention.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I would return to the pet shop so they can follow up with testing. If it is curable then let them know you will take him back one he has recovered. You have other birds you could potentially be putting at risk.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
The pet store will have to take him to the vet if you're still under warranty for him. It should say on the paper that you signed for him that if you bring him back cause he is sick that they will have a vet treat him.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The pet store may have to have him tested depending on their policy, but if he tests positive for a chronic contagious disease, I have a hard time believing that they will not euthanize him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
ASAP might be too late if there's something seriously wrong with him. It's really unfair to get an animal and make them wait for vet testing sometime in the future. He could have a broken pelvis and be in serious pain, among a myriad of other things. If you wait for later, it might just wind up costing you more money as his condition deteriorates and he requires more medication, more specialized care, ect.

I read your other posts and saw you said you felt really bad for him because he was returned several times. Don't you feel just as bad for keeping him and denying him the medical care he so obviously needs? IMHO, that's way worse than returning an animal to a store.

And you have another bird. If you can't afford the test for one bird, how are you going to afford the test AND medications for TWO birds if this is something contagious?

Oh my God.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I would take him back to the store and let their vet run some tests. There is no reason, if this bird is sick, that the store had any business selling him.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Stores at best will usually give you 72 hrs for a vet check but let them know & ask what tests the bird had/ parents as its likely the bird could have infested alot of birds in the store.