• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

indecisive

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
okay I am not a "new" bird keeper but 8 haven't had one for some time. Last one I had was in jr high.

Now that I am in my 30's I am looking at a pet bird again. I had keets and for the most part those where never nice. My mom has 5 now and only one was pleasant. In grand total of years of keets I met 2 that where nice and wanted to be with us. I had sone love birds as well, a bonded pair we couldn't touch and my little Buddy who was sick when we got him and died in 6 months of having him no matter what we tried.

I was offered a little female pearl cockatiel, this species I always wanted but never had. My cousin had them and that's why I wanted one be ause hers were just so nice even to me who wasnt there that often.

The other bird I was looking at was a small flock of finch. 2-6 I have a nive cage being offered to me for the bird of my choice. I just dont want to rush or do wrong for the bird or myself and my other critters. I do want a bird I can handle but it is not a must have... I love the sweet sounds of finch- they make me happy.

The pearl teil is in a good place and is being kept in a healthy and happy enviroment if I dont take her so that should not br a worry. This lady just knows the two loses this month I have had in my Cavalier Eve ( my avatar) and my Bunny Odysseus. Part of me wants to stay sized down.

I work long ish days- I own a pet supply store- we don't sell animals. So whatever I get is going to be spoiled as my cats and two dogs. I live in a house with secure doors and windows. I spend all of my spare time with my animals, I dont socialize much with people after working retail all day (Those of you who work in retail probably can relate lol!)

My main love for these two type of birds are Tiels can be handled and personable but not all and if she hates me I will be sad. Finch ... There is no delusion of friendships... They hate you. (From what I have been told) but thier sounds are lovely and I run to see them when I am in a store.

I am very indecisive and need some suggestions from people who know better than I on what may be better for me and my life style? Thoughts?

I am not turned off to keets either. I was little when I had them and lacked the patients I have now. And I am not around mom's enough now that I live on my own.

Last edited:

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My hubby and I kept Finches for that reason: they're flock birds that don't care if you even exist as long as you supply the necessities. They didn't care when we ate, cleaned or started a family.

I read the first couple of paragraphs and thought, "A cockatiel sounds perfect for her." Then I read about the cats.

During the day, could your bird could go to work with you to keep her away from alone time with the cats and dogs? The downside would be the need for multiple cages.

***Remember, cats especially love to go after small birds!!! Her cage would need to be in a room where cats aren't allowed! The bird couldn't EVER be outside the cage around cats even for a moment!***

Are you married or have plans to be? You didn't mention children. You and the ENTIRE family must mind the no-cat rule. Children are great at leaving doors open. The question becomes, "What would your family and cats think?" Are YOU willing to trade some family and cat time for bird time? Are THEY willing to allow this?

More important than which is if. Recently, someone asked if I wanted a trust bond with my angry bird and said it was okay if I didn't. No one had asked that before. There is nothing wrong with staying with what you have!

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I forgot about that! I am happily single and only want kids with scales feathers and fur. I don't plan on getting married but who knows that may change someday.

My cats don't care about much at all. They where totally cool with the rabbit who was not quite 2 pounds. When he was out I was very careful but the cats knew they werent allowed in the living room when he was out... They also where afraid of Odysseus lol.

I do have rooms they are absolutely not allowed in at all due to the houseplants in there. So if the bird was out that would be her room while out. I can definately work around needs like that.

The only kitty I would actually worry about would be terrified of any movement from the cage. She is super skittish lol.

For safety sake finch may be best? I am used to fish who doesnt care where I am and the same with my Dragon but he does enjoy being held...

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I would say a cockatiel. They are hardy little birds who can provide years of affection and enjoyment.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I wish I could just decide they are both lovely birds. I need my one friend to messure the cage so I can be sure of spacing and cage placement. I think she doesn't want to cause she doesnt want me getting a teil at all. She just lost hers to her dogs a few weeks ago and she does not trust or likes cats in general.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I wish I could just decide they are both lovely birds. I need my one friend to messure the cage so I can be sure of spacing and cage placement. I think she doesn't want to cause she doesnt want me getting a teil at all. She just lost hers to her dogs a few weeks ago and she does not trust or likes cats in general.
I am sorry for your friend's loss. I lost my pet bunny to my two dogs so I know what she is going through. Tragedies happen.

Tiels and Finches are so different. It depends on what you want from a bird. To me, personally, I think Tiels are loving, affectionate, little clowns. They have the same personality as their big cousins but not as needy.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
It's so hard to loosena pet any wayit happens but it feels like betrayal when it's to another pet. I feel terrible for her because she blames herself because the door wasnt latched.

I would love a bird I can chat with and handle but I feel guilty when I leave the other animals for a while. I will feel bad about her too. I think I am mostly afraid she just wont like me or accept me because how my keets all where.

Finch I love watching them and listening to them. No hopes of them being burdy buddies because that's the way things are with them. Just a look and dont touch pet like my fish.

Worst thing is they may both (technically all three since I would have 2 finch) be "decoration pets" and I would feel bad having a teil as a decoration pet... Does that make sense?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am not sure she will not accept you, as you will be her whole world. And we all have to leave our pets alone at times.

Yes it does make sense and I applaud you for thinking this important decision through. It seems like you are leaning toward getting a Finch?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Check that the plants are birdsafe plus soil carries pathogens

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I am actually leaning towards the teil. I read a couple books cover to cover that I had and I am pretty confident I could be a good keeper for her. I have a tendancy to pry things apart to make sure I am making the right choice for all involved.

I also worry how skittish they are... We watch scary movies (and Especially TWD cause srsly... Negan) but they can be loud and sudden as ma y people know. And sometimes I rough house with the dogs and run around with them (one is 6 months old so he is prettt random lol) I just dont want to give the poor thing a heart attack lol

Good thing to know about plants! I will need to find a list then and be extra careful with the dirt. I keep it outside unless I am transplanting at least.

Last edited:

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Adding on. I am going to try the little teil. If it isnt a good fit my friend will take her. The same one helping me get her. I wont get her til this weekend. I am excited to be getting a teil after almost 20 years of wanting one...and so nervous. Lol

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope it goes well, and I can’t wait to hear all about her and see pictures!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My birds and I played peek-a-boo lots! The lutie tiel seemed to like it best and told me, "Pearl Pretty Bird" every time I pulled my hand back.
He was fascinated that I watched tv more than anything! He just wanted to nap on my shoulder. My PGCC napped on the warm tv. Usually though, bird bedtime is ~8pm and those movies come on after that. I consider 9pm until ~1:30am as ME time.
A cockatiel will adapt to you while finches assume you'll adapt to them. You are very right to compare finches to fish. They're both beautiful but untouchable.