• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing Seed...Does it kill seed for sprouting/nutrition loss?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well title says it all.

I want Tto freeze seed just to kill any larvae but not long term storage as no room.

Does freezing seed hurt the living seed nutritional value...etc enzymes.

Will seed frozen for 2 days still sprout????

If it wont sprout then in a sense its likely the freezing killed the seed or broke the cells walls...

Thanks

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My vets have recommended that you freeze seed for at least 2 weeks prior to feeding to kill potential parasites. I can't say whether it harms the nutritional value, but freezing does not prevent them from being able to sprout. I have kept all my sprouting seed in the freezer for months and have yet to see any problems with them sprouting.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
2weeks?

I have access to a freezer for a few days maybe up to 10 days until a tenant moves in so I want to test the freezer...LOL & make sure to kill any seed larvae/parasites.

I have 3 4lb bags of volkman.

What about the higgins? I've not had trouble with moths & that brand but I have quite alot of it so guess I should do a preventative freeze too...

2 3lb bags mayan
4 3lb bags tikal

So I have 30lbs seed not counting pellets which I don't think you freeze to kil larvae or parasites???? Should I???

Carrying the seed is heavy enough & its volume will probably fill the freezer.

Would freezing pellets 2 days be of any preventative benefit?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I freeze all of the above. I heard 3 weeks to kill parasites so... I actually leave it all in the freezer except for a flour-canister-size container for each type, which I label on top and use in the bird room. It lasts about a week I'd say.

If I had limited room and thus had to choose, I'd freeze seed and just seal the pellets. JMO.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I freeze all of the above. I heard 3 weeks to kill parasites so... I actually leave it all in the freezer except for a flour-canister-size container for each type, which I label on top and use in the bird room. It lasts about a week I'd say.

If I had limited room and thus had to choose, I'd freeze seed and just seal the pellets. JMO.

Thanks, don;t have much extra stock in pellets but might pick up some Harrisons on sale.

Seed is more problematic with larvae. Don;t know about parasites but I'll make use of the freezer for as long as I can til the tenant moves in so should have about 10 days so it will have to do!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I leave everything except 1 month of food in the freezer. Preserves nutrients, keeps it from going stale, and kills bugs.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well put all my 30 plus lb seed in the freezer to kill anything if possible. Will have to remove it before the tenant moves in at end of mo/

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It should be fine. Native enzymes in solution are normally stored in freezers in the lab to avoid degradation. I can’t see why enzymes in seeds would be any different

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I read 2 days of freeze was enough to kill bug larvae.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:tmsmakesme:How long? Don't have 2 weeks...maybe 10days unless workers move fridge so left a note,..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would do at least a week.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OK.I think I can have access to freezer 10 days. Its better than nothing. I never stock so much seed but sales/closeouts tempted me but don/t want moths.

Thermal Deinfestation of Household Items | Entomology

My freezer runs about -4F....but not sure what the other does...will have to check temp

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well tested that 1999 Amana frees temp is -10F!!!!

Arrgh mine is about 0 / -2 F but I had it on med freezer temp & other I have near max.

I guess 0 is a good temp &I don;t want to spend more on electric.

Gosh my fridge is a 99 or 98. If I could switch it easily I might do that but I have to move metal file cab in the hallway & have the guys do it for me so its really not "easy" & its 18 years old but a nice bottom freezer 22 cu & mine is 20 cu

Last edited:

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I fill my seed jar and then freeze the remainder, I've had no problems with sprouting.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I would suggest freeze as long as you can.

At the natural history museum I work at, 2 to 3 weeks at minus 20 celcius is the standard for any new specimens including plant and fungi material. Any shorter than that and the risk that not all of the "bugs" died becomes higher. We did one week before and it didn't work as there was a re-infestation after thawing. The freeze killed the adults, but it also triggered the dormant eggs to hatch so there was a second round of freezing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sadly I only have the freezer available to me about 10 days & even one bag of seed would hardly fit in my freezer.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Of course you can freeze seeds. :) Think of the seed banks/vaults! When stored correctly, seeds can remain viable for decades or even centuries.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I never knew!!! I backed off the temp a bit as -2 should be fine don;t really need -10F.