• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Barbossa's work in progress

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Looks like he was enjoying his shower and wanted more of it. I take Lucy in the shower and let her stay in there for as long as she is enjoying it.
Sometimes its just 5 min, but sometimes 20 min and shes soaked to the bone. I dont know about the hanging from the beak and doing the feet thing.
It may just be a habit he does. Lucy like to hang from her beak and wiggle her feet sometimes too and it doesnt seem hormonal to me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC hangs from the top of his cage by his beak and flutters..... we call it "dead chicken" because it was a trick he did when he came here.

You can "isolate" movements, by naming them, and when he does them call them by that name and wha la, you have a trick.

By the way, you need to get rid of the dowel rods and get better, natural perches for his feet. Birds need to be able to flex their toes and dowel rods are awful for the reason that they are uniform everywhere. Several of our vendors offer them.

Welcome to Seriously Nutz - For The Serious Chewerz!

For example, I pasted the one from Sarah's store. I'm tagging her @Macawnutz looks like she is out of stock on the dragonwood but may know when it's due back in. She can probably explain more about why we shouldn't use dowels.

Which nutriberries do you feed? My guys like the senior ones..... but my guys are older too. Secret (avatar bird) is in the neighborhood of 40 years old.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
@txdyna65 thanks! I am still learning, this is only my 2nd parrot so their behaviorisms is still sometimes strange to me :laughin:
@Clueless I am slowly exchanging out things that he came with with new, I changed out the rod he was on for the bath with a more natural shaped one after the bath, I figured I'd soak the old one before I put the new in lol.
I am doing a variety of nutriberries, I've tried tropical, garden veggies, orchard?, and pellet berries. I just bought a bag of the el paso? Ones. The owners did say he does not like the senior ones or avicakes so I haven't tried those yet. I want to get a small tub of pellets next and start introducing those also.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Try cutting the banana in wheels. Mine love digging the banana out of the skin.
Cut in wheels, I can't picture it, do you have a photo. Louise loves banana's and if it can be made into a foraging toy, cool.

Barbossa has a lovely new home! He is a lucky bird. Love the noises he makes. Saw my first amazons in person yesterday. It was at an avian vet clinic. They were bigger than I had thought!! One kept cuddling with his mom, the other was clearly watching for a chance to strike and his mom knew it.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
So I had my first bite today :sad2: after having the cage door open a few times since I've had him I was finally able to coax him out with nutriberries the other night offered from my flat finger tips from a distance that he can only just reach. So tonight I opened the door, offered his a half a nutriberry and he came right out on the door, took it and dropped it. So then I put a couple nut treat pieces on my flat finger tips and he reached for, he didn't seem over excited no major eye pinning or feather fluffing and I thought he was deciding between the differant nuts that were moving around on my fingers so I let him draw me in a little closer and still no major excite (at least it seemed to me) and he bit me and half stepped up onto my arm to hold me in place and was biting chomping and biting pretty hard. I didnt react at first but then he latched on and bite harder so I had to kind of half twist my arm twitch him off back onto the door and he stayed stretched out hanging on the door reaching towards me. I've get two small punctures bleeding and a half crescent of the top skin layer or so peeled but not bleeding. I'm pretty disheartened. I know its only been 3 weeks but like i said he did not seem excited. Is it commen for amazons to not give warning? He stayed stretched out towards me, i told him no and bad and stayed where i waa because i didnt want him to think he could chase me away. But i did shoo him back into the cage after a min of sitting there and him still trying to get on anything closer to me...
Help please I don't know how to progress! :eeeek:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
3 weeks isn't long. He's scared..... you're big..... think on that for a moment.

You can feed him treats through the bars, correct? Why can't you limit yourself to that for a time.

You have a LIFETIME ahead of you. No rush!

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
I wasn't above him I was on his same level. I guess I won't be trying that again for a while. He doesn't seem scared necessarily, he always comes over the where ever I'm standing by the cage talking to him when he is in the cage, but then again maybe he wants to get closer to bite while he is in the cage too and just can't because the bars. :shrug3:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Yes they can and do bite without warning. Lucy will sometimes put her head down like she wants scritches and then as you go to do it, she whips her head around to bite you.
She usually only does this to my wife as it doesnt work on me but she doesnt bite hard and thinks its a game with my wife. We have her trained to pick a nutriberry or a nut out of the bag instead of with fingers. She will stick her head all the way in to get one. She will take it from your hand, but like with the scritches she sometimes likes to see if she can get a chomp in on my wife.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Birds can pick up your emotions, this guy is older and probably set in his ways. His whole world, as he knows it, has been turned upside down. Until he gets used to the new surroundings don't expect too much. 3 weeks isn't long enough for him, he's starting all over, patience, patience, patience

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These birds have seen a lot. Who knows how many have suckered 'him" in and then hurt him? They're smart and they have to be smart in order to live.

Secret will still try to do the whip and bite routine.... but humans learn fast too! Although after 6 years, I'm able to break a tiny bit of almond from a sliver and she takes it without biting me. Odd.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
So I did get a little more info on Barbossa. His previous owners got his as a spoon fed baby from a US breeder through a petstore the husband managed at the time. She can't remember his exact birthday but guesses he is about 29 give or take.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is a beauty. I know that 3 weeks may seem a long time when you want to make friends, but take your cues from her. When she is ready to further your relationship, she will indicate. You cannot rush it or push it. You will get accurate information here, but be careful with info from other sources aside from the well known parrot educators. Some info is outdated, half true and just plain untrue and maybe even damaging.

For example, when I got the green devil 10 years ago (I think) I read the owner has to be the boss and to never let the bird get higher than you. That went over real well with Wasabi. It made him angry, and the LAST thing anyone wants is an angry Amazon. He has a fiery temper and he let me know it. Wasabi was abandoned and he certainly not raised properly. The vet estimates him to be 27, also. Wasabi is a big boy, so the vet said one Nutriberry per day.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
So I last minute decided to try and make some chop for the first time.... lolol Barbossa was so funny when he discovered it mixed with his food. I used kale, broccoli, red pepper, carrot, red cabbage, quinoa, chai seeds, and half a banana. Those are the only ingredients I had

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I missed this thread!

Can't watch videos until later, they're sleeping at my house and Amazon noise will wake the entire crew!

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Ok so it's been a while sorry! So Barbossa is doing ok, he will come right out of his door onto a perch on the outside of his cage by his snack bowl on occassion all though he still won't climb to the top. BUT if I am standing on the outside of the pen he will climb over onto the pen to come towards me which is not good. 1) because I don't wanna get bit again lol and 2) because I don't want him to climb down the outside of the pen and run around the house pillaging and out for blood :naughty:.
Not sure how to proceed from here.

Attachments

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Put a playstand by the pen?