• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Deal With The Death of Your Bird

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We recently reported on the death of a very famous bird…Alex the African Grey. This story still saddens me, as I have been following the progress of the research of Dr. Pepperberg and her staff, and new of the death sort of hit me.

This got me thinking about all the birds I have lost in the past, and in some cases how devastated I became. And now I think about how the loss of the few pet birds I have will effect me…..

How do you deal with the loss of a pet? Can you deal with the depression? Can you function enough to think things out and not be totally devastated by the loss? It’s not possible to answer this. But maybe you will find yourself in a position to help counsel someone who is going through this.

Over the years we have been in this position. Pet owners have called me, inquiring on buying a replacement bird, and they end up talking to me for hours about their pet and how much they miss them. I would take the time to listen, give some gentle advice, and try to help them through this period of grief.

YOUR PET HAS DIED. WHAT DO YOU DO NOW?

It may not seem obvious, but if you have more then one bird in your home you need to investigate the cause of the birds death. Failure to immediately identify the cause of death could end up costing you even more birds.

The only good way to find the cause of death is to take your bird to a qualified avian vet and have an avian necropsy (autopsy) done. This will help to identify any disease that may be transmitted to the rest of your birds, poor diet, or other health issues.

If the bird died as the result of an accident, be sure that the problem is corrected so it won’t happen to other birds.

DEALING WITH GRIEF

I am sometimes amazed at the attitude of people. They do not seem to understand how attached people become to their pets. After spending their day with them, caring for them and playing with them, a huge bond develops. The loss of that pet is devastating!

The entire grieving process is no different then losing your parents, children, or best friend. First, there is the shock of their death. Time freezes, nothing is important any more. They become bewildered and depressed.

Then anger sets in. How did this happen? Who do I blame? Was this the cause of something I did (or didn’t) do? Guilt and fear take over your life.

Depression sets in. They feel saddened by the loss, drained of energy and overwhelmed with emotion.

After some time passes, acceptance takes over. They realize that their life will never be the same, but they must move on. But they will certainly never forget. And with the help of friends, they will eventually recover from their loss.

HONOR YOUR PET

A pet owner will never forget their loved one. And there are a number of ways to continue to honor them.

Make a donation to local agencies that help pets. The Humane Society, a rescue agency, or even for research. There are several organizations that do research into various bird diseases that can always use the support.

There are several websites that have set up memorial sites for your pet. At Rainbow Bridge - A PetLoss Grief Support Community. Pet Bereavement and Memorial support for coping with the death of a loving fur baby. has a virtual pet cemetery where you can post pictures and other information about your pet. They also have a grief support center if you just want to talk.

Plant a tree, shrub or flowers to honor your pet. Keep pictures of your pet around your home.

But never, ever forget your pet.

SHOULD YOU GET ANOTHER PET?

That has to be done when you area ready. Don’t rush out and get one the day the pet dies. You must first honor your deceased pet before moving on. You will know when you are ready.

Understand that when you get your new pet, it will not be the same bird you had. The personalities will be different, and you will have to go through a new learning phase. Be patient, things will work out.

DOES THE BIRD’S MATE SEEM DEPRESSED?

Some birds won’t handle the death of a cage mate. Other birds will get along fine. There are many tales about birds mating for life, such as the Lovebird or Doves. This is not the case. They will take on new mates. But they are also capable of feeling the loss. This is also true if they lose their owner. We have taken in a number of rescue cases where the owner died and nobody wanted the bird. The bird was in obvious depression and showing signs of health problems. After a few weeks of giving the bird love and attention, they have fully recovered. They were later sent to a new home.

So keep in mind that the pets may need some grief counseling just as much as the owners.

by Sapphyre & Jerry

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no easy way to die and there is no easy way to Grieve. Life isn't very fair sometimes. It hurts. :(

That was nice little read. Thanks for posting.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I agree, great read. We are still gieving with the loss of our Girl.

She will not be replaced, as others will differ.
We will give another Too a new life to be loved and cared for. We are only working with a rescue, taking the process as it comes for the best possible match.

Thank you @Lady Jane I needed to read this!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for posting this. I still miss my little Twilight so much...:sad1:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That was a great post.
Hopefully this will be of help for many people who have recently lost a loved one or for those who are having issues coming to terms with the changes that the death of a pet brings to ones everyday life.

Tiny birb

Meeting neighbors
I wish I saw this a while ago my skittles got attacked in Valentine’s Day and died during the night it was hard to cope with the loss of my first bird I had only had him for 12 day and I had a varry strong bond with him it was heart breaking as he took a peace of my heart to heaven with him I miss my sweet bird may he Rest In Peace 2/3/18

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry you lost Skittles. I think this post may be a good sticky so others may be helped after bird death. @expressmailtome

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yes, a better sticky than a regular thread. I admit I felt panicked clicking on a post from @Lady Jane in the Highway to Heaven forum. :scared3: I was so worried it might be M or M! :sad4:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Karen that is sweet of you to be concerned.

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
This poem brought me some comfort when I lost my best friend last year. It's about a dog...but I think it really applies to all animals.

There are so many birds out there that need homes and we all know that life with a bird takes a special kind of person. Don't underestimate how much your love meant to the ones that have passed and how much it could mean to another bird out there looking for a home.

old_dog_will_and_testament_wm.jpg

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
It's been about 5 or so months since i lost Paulie, Rockie's brother. I got them both together, the two chosen ones of their baby flock. Sometimes I regret getting my birds because of what happened and i constantly argue with myself. I had only had them for a little over a week but one of my cats had gotten to him, and all i could do in the moment was shoo her away and hold him while i cried. I felt so bad for even wanting a bird because of it, I always told myself it could have been avoided if they were left with their breeder. Even after so long I still feel bad for it, for being so careless as to do something as simple as not make sure the door was closed. He passed at only about 5 months of age, and I can't get over the fact that I'm the reason for it.

The last video I have of him is a video of the first time I got to see him eat from my hand. His eyes were so big and bright, he was so cute. And I struggle knowing he's gone now.

I still miss him so much, even after having him for so little time.

I just wish I could tell him that I'm sorry.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We all make mistakes, you didn't do it out of anything bad you just forgot about the door. Give yourself time to grieve and move on. Rockie needs you now as your his flock and protector. Maybe if he seems lonely you can get him another friend when your ready and just be more careful about any other critters getting to them:bluhug:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I thought it might be helpful to provide some body disposition ideas- not all will appeal to everyone, it's a very personal and difficult choice.

---------------------------------------------------------
  • Burial
There are many routes here, for example you could:
  • bury the pet in a pet cemetery
  • Bury them straight in the earth
  • Bury them in a shroud
  • Bury them in a casket/coffin (There are biodegradable caskets made for pets all the way down to fish)
  • Bury them somewhere meaningful (Under a favorite tree, near a garden, etc.)
Like I said, there are many routes you could go. There are probably far more than I've listed here. If your bird has been put to sleep (euthanized) you may not want to bury them, as the medications will leach into the surrounding earth). Also check your local laws about burying animals, as it isn't legal in all areas to bury them in your yard.
  • Cremation
You could then keep the ashes, or scatter or bury them. You could also find someone to make mourning jewelry (broaches, pendants, rings, etc) with the ashes or feathers, as well as other keepsakes (there are a lot of options out there)
  • Alkaline Hydrolysis (also called aquamation, water cremation)
This method is fairly new and not available in all states. Look into your local laws. It's very similar to cremation, but instead of fire, it's water. In this process, you will still receive cremated remains (ashes) back, to do with what you will (refer to the above).

Those are the main 3 I could think of. It's a very hard decision and a very personal one. I hope I made things clear to understand, as I know it can be hard to think straight when devastated by the loss of a loved one (human, avian or otherwise.)

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
We are losing our precious cockatiel George. He's been sick for awhile and antibiotics and supplements have not worked. We hoped that he would pull through but he took a turn for the worse and he is actively dying. We are devastated and just want to make him as comfortable as possible. The guilt and sadness is overwhelming .

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
We are losing our precious cockatiel George. He's been sick for awhile and antibiotics and supplements have not worked. We hoped that he would pull through but he took a turn for the worse and he is actively dying. We are devastated and just want to make him as comfortable as possible. The guilt and sadness is overwhelming .
Oh no, I’m so very sorry! Hopefully he will go peacefully with you by his side. My heart aches for you.
:sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My prayers are with you and family in this time of sorrow.