• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chilly new home, need help on best heating option

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Haven't posted in a while but I'm back!

My boyfriend and I are finally moving out of our parent's homes and we are relocating to a smaller town as we've both found jobs that pertain to our degrees there.

Living spaces were limited as most of them were either way too expensive or were complete dumps! We did, however, find a beautiful little basement suite that we claimed as our own. The only problem is... it is cold cold cold in that basement and I'm worried about how Ice my GCC will cope with the change. I don't want to buy an electric space heater as I worry about them being plugged in for long periods of time and I'm also paying that electricity bill now so I know those things really drain on power. I just have a few questions about heating and I thought maybe someone here has experience with my options

1. Basement suite comes with a wood stove. I've done some research on this forum and it seems like others have these stoves and that they are safe as long as they are started correctly (ample heat to create airflow etc) and obviously the bird doesn't go anywhere near it (she'd be in the cage when it is on). For my own worrying id probably wheel her cage into another room for the first bit while we get the fire started just in case and then wheel her back once it's going.

But I cant leave that going all day so now I'm stuck with another dilemma,

2. infrared heat bulbs.
It looks like quite a few people use these in their cages, as long as they don't emit light and are far enough from the cage. I'm assuming I can leave these on all day?

3. oil-filled portable heater.
now, this is the one I need more information about!!

I saw this method on an old thread and I saw that it emits no fumes and heats an entire space. Does anyone know how much energy they draw? Do i have to refill the oil ever?

here's the one I'm looking at

1500-Watt Electric Oil-Filled Radiant Portable Heater - Grey-HD904-A7Q - The Home Depot

Any input is appreciated!

thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A ceramic or infared heat bulb could be left on all day. Most reptile people have them on for 12 hours a day minimum.

I give mine heated perches in the winter to stave off the cold, and they like those too.

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I agree that a heated perch is a good option. Mine love theirs and use it year round. They even sleep on it every night.