• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I give my birds rosemary?

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We've got a huge bush in the yard, not treated with anything. It grows like crazy and needs constant trimming, so I may as well put that to use.

I found it on multiple safe lists, I'm just not certain as to what form it's safe in. Can I just give them fresh branches to tear apart? Or should I wash them or cook them, etc? With flowers or without?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have fed it to my lovies Many times:) They love it! And it makes them smell nice:D but then again, they always smell nice of course!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
:eek: I was just wondering this myself!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Omg thanks for this! I gave Freddy some tall grass pulled out of my flower bed and he really loved it! It was very tall and I stuck a bunch into his dishwasher foraging basket, he sat and looked up at it in awe, before pulling at it, holding long pieces in his foot, and pulling it through his beak like a feather before chewing it apart and eating some of it. He enjoys whole dandelion plants too, minus the roots of course. I also have to trim my sage tomorrow!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shame its Tuscan blue & about 5 foot tall & about 6 foot wide!
Pruned the rosemary & oregano...Penny did not really go for it...:cry3:

Last edited:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Ah, I know we do all sorts of things for them only to have them turn their little beaks up at it! Believe me I know that feeling! :(

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I went and got a dehydrator (thank god it was only $15 on craigslist ). The idea was to do dried fruits and veggies I wouldn't have to worry about spoiling and I could just leave them on a hanging skewer. The idea worked but Freddy won't touch it. The lovebirds eat it and play with it annihilate it, and then I replace it. So at least they like it. I did see Freddy nibbling a little bit the second time I left it. Kiwi seems to be the favorite. My husband and I like it too. I have been taking home made snack mix to work!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My lovebirds are two brothers, they are 13 yrs old this year and they eat anything I give them. I keep telling myself in 13 years this is how Freddy will be! Lol

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Craigslist! I’ve been wanting a dehydrator. I’ll look there.

@camelotshadow Mine love cilantro, maybe try that?
I was so glad I got mine there. I wasn't sure how much I would use it or if I would even like it and didn't want to spend $100 on one! The one I got was used for herbs and the lady didn't want it anymore. It was a big one with six trays, they usually come with 3. I had it full today making mangoes, apples, and sugar snap peas. A tip I saw, use frozen veggies and skip blanching fresh veggies! You don't even have to thaw!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Craigslist! I’ve been wanting a dehydrator. I’ll look there.

@camelotshadow Mine love cilantro, maybe try that?

Have not bought cilantro yet since Pennys been here & I usually have some organic italian parsley but not bought that in a good month too.I like cilantro just not been in the mood for it in a while.

Rio really only likes romaine & I stopped buying it after the ecoli scare.

Have some mixed greens & super power green blends but so far not a hit.

Took in the rosemary branches as thought they would love to chew the woody stems & thin leaves but so far no takers.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I discovered my Freddy loves tall grasses & clover from my garden. Just regular green grass. I have to try sage, didn't have a chance today.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How would you recommend cleaning plants from outside? Just washing them?

I just wash my dandelion greens but I think rosemary would be more fun if huge branches were hung.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I don't use pesticides so I just rinse them.

Does anyone know if yucca wood is safe for perches?? I couldn't find it on that list?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't use pesticides so I just rinse them.

Does anyone know if yucca wood is safe for perches?? I couldn't find it on that list?

Yes, yucca is a well loved wood around here!