• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Update on gemma

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I got her lab results back yesterday and she’s all good! No diseases present and healthy levels of everything. :fairy2:

Her leg wounds are healed up already. They’re still splayed, and always will be, but she’s getting used to it. The only thing she can’t do that seems to annoy her is scratch her neck or head area with her feet. She’ll lift her leg like she’s going to and then stop when the shape and injuries prevent her. She’ll look confused with her leg for a second and then move on to a toy or food.

I’m working with her on getting less afraid of hands. (Though having to give her meds twice a day isn’t helping).
She loves foot toys and so I’ve been playing with them with her. She takes her food all over her blanket floor to eat lol so that’s why there’s seed/pellets everywhere. 3C027E28-1391-4F2B-8976-8C192BEBCDE6.jpeg B1BABC74-DF9A-47FE-81E2-06B94BCA56E2.jpeg

She also tried out her flat perch from things for wings for the first time yesterday and has been going to it constantly since. She’s getting the hang of being up high and not wobbling over to the floor. 0D0EA2DB-F94F-42C5-8C53-94281201CD72.jpeg

She also gets a fresh blanket put down every other day and she seems excited when it happens lol. When I put this flower one is she explored it for a while, dragging her food all over to find new soft spots to eat. 85F44A89-CA8E-46E8-A42A-0F832B1D5E2E.jpeg

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t know how you feel about a nest, but when I had a splay-legged bird I gave it her a next box. Ill find you a photo - the box is about 5 inches wide and I took the top off to keep it from feeling so nesty. Then I lined it with LOTS of nest material (paper shreds) to give her some footing.

1FE74F6E-442D-48AD-939E-338FF51E1127.png

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wonderful news on the lab report. She sure is a beautiful girl! I love her blanky. Looks so snuggly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yay! Those little birds sometimes have the biggest determination :heart:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yay! Those little birds sometimes have the biggest determination :heart:
She really does! She is so joyful it’s contagious lol.

She is also my only bird that seems to prefer shredding/preening toys vs wood toys so I’ve got to educate myself on those more.

Bowser, Fred and Ethel, as well as the budgies prefer pine and balsa. But Gemma is in love with vine shapes and paper. She just started going for the fire summer toy from you today and it’s almost gone lol. She seems to be having a blast with that one. :heart2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She really does! She is so joyful it’s contagious lol.

:heart:

She is also my only bird that seems to prefer shredding/preening toys vs wood toys so I’ve got to educate myself on those more.

Bowser, Fred and Ethel, as well as the budgies prefer pine and balsa. But Gemma is in love with vine shapes and paper. She just started going for the fire summer toy from you today and it’s almost gone lol. She seems to be having a blast with that one. :heart2:
Jingo is my shredder, all my other birds have preferred pine or balsa too. He does do some balsa, but it has to be super thin. Such a wimp compared to Bobber doing 1/2" pine :lol:

I am glad she is loving it!!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Gemma, you won the lottery! :heart: Soon she'll be fearless and will be ordering you around.