• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rubino Bourke + Torquisine together..?

Shimmied

Moving in
Hello bird moms and dads!

I currently have a hand tamed rubino Bourke Parakeet and a Pacific Parrotlet (caged separately).
I really love turquoise parakeets, especially the yellow ones with red bellies and was thinking about getting one as a companion for my bourke. When I had gotten my bourke from the breeder, he mentioned that the tourquisins can be aggressive which is really whats holding me back from getting one since I'd wanna house it together.( my bourke is a boy and I'd also want to get a male turqoisine as well.) ive noticed most people house similar keets together and havent seen these two in particularly together.

Does anyone have any experience with having both? What is everyone's thoughts on putting them together?

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Hello bird moms and dads!

I currently have a hand tamed rubino Bourke Parakeet and a Pacific Parrotlet (caged separately).
I really love turquoise parakeets, especially the yellow ones with red bellies and was thinking about getting one as a companion for my bourke. When I had gotten my bourke from the breeder, he mentioned that the tourquisins can be aggressive which is really whats holding me back from getting one since I'd wanna house it together.( my bourke is a boy and I'd also want to get a male turqoisine as well.) ive noticed most people house similar keets together and havent seen these two in particularly together.

Does anyone have any experience with having both? What is everyone's thoughts on putting them together?
Hey there! I also have a hand tame bourke. She is very sweet and loves cuddles. Unfortunately, she, like most bourkes, is also peaceful to a fault, which is pretty characteristic of bourkes. She won't stand up for herself beyond making a funny sound at whoever antagonizes her. I have to watch her very closely around my budgies because they could hurt her badly very quickly if they wanted to. I would personally advise against housing a bourke with any other species of bird except for maybe finches in an aviary setting.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
I'll also add: I've never had turqouisines, but my bourke (Boba) is very, very low energy during the day. She is pretty much diurnal and naps off and on all day. I've heard that turquoise keets have a very active lifestyle and I don't know if that would be compatible with a bourke outside of an aviary. Could they not be housed side by side and allowed supervised out of cage time together?

Shimmied

Moving in
Omg yes! When I got my lil Bourke boy (Sorbet), I thought he was sick or something because other than finches, the only other bird I've gotten is a parrotlet. I've basically only had high energy birds.(Hes super crazy and demonic but I love him to bits.) I knew Bourkes tend to be pretty chill but your description of yours is exactly how mine acts haha. Unfortunately, I rent a room right now so space is limited. :( Otherwise, I wouldnt mind housing them separately. Sorbet does spend most of the day outside of his cage though.