• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pinapple Green Cheeks

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
You can try, but you have to be prepared in case they just do not get along. Do you have enough time to spend with each one if they just don't like each other and can't even be near each other?

If they seem to be getting along and there are no fights, they can for sure interact with each other while out of the cage, but I would not house them together, even if they seem to be doing OK.

Have you done a proper quarantine before bringing the new bird in to your home?

Sunni's Mom

Meeting neighbors
I haven't gotten him or her yet, just a thought right now, and wanted some advice and a point of view Yes I have the time, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

DavyG

Strolling the yard
Here has been my experience.

I have a one-year-old Pineapple (Tweetz) that is super loving to me and even clingy. And around 3 weeks ago, I got a three-month-old (so four month old now) Black-Cap (DD), I have him sort of stick trained.

They both have their own cages (very important) and when in their cages they seem to ignore each other. I've only had them out of their cages at the same time once and again they ignored each other, but any time Tweetz lands on or jumps on DD's cage there is hell to pay. They start snapping at each other through the bars, but I am quick to get in the way so I am the only one to get hurt.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Chloe was a Pineapple, so excuse my tears. I'm adopting a GCC and Sun in June. All of my research says that they definitely need separate living quarters and lots of toys. However, a gym on the Pineapple's cage will incite interaction. They will need separate sleeping quarters. It'll be two of most everything. Start with their cages in the same room, then SLOWLY move them side by side as they get more comfortable with one another.
Don't be surprised when the sweet and quieter Pineapple starts screeching loudly. It has another conure to compete with.
Also, be prepared for the bird wars. Even if they seem friendly, they'll each expect private time. They'll compete for your affection, so show no preference. Put a training perch in a separate room that's only available one at a time as a treat. Be sure to clicker-train both and to treat them as equals.
Make sure you allow for quarantine and familiarity periods.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just a word of warning...I do see a lot of buddies like these but a sun conure beak is large enough and forceful enough to maim a cheekie. Just be extra cautious and always aware.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Just a word of warning...I do see a lot of buddies like these but a sun conure beak is large enough and forceful enough to maim a cheekie. Just be extra cautious and always aware.
Webchirp is exactly right. That's the "bird wars!"
People that have dealt with my posts know I'm a stickler when it comes to quarantine!
Start them in separate cages on opposite walls of a room where they can hear and talk to each other. Move the cages closer to adjoining walls where they can see one another. Slowly move their cages to opposite ends of the same wall. Finally you can put their cages a few inches apart.
A conure likes to be the star, so each will definitely demand private time with you!
The above process may take several weeks and will test your patience at times, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Betz

Moving in
Quarentine, sloooowly introduce them, patience and close attention !
And of course lots of love!

Reactions: LSA

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I have a love bird and was thinking of introducing a sub committee into the family. Would that be a bad idea even if I followed proper introduction and quarantine guidelines because of the difference in size?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I have a love bird and was thinking of introducing a sub committee into the family. Would that be a bad idea even if I followed proper introduction and quarantine guidelines because of the difference in size?
My Peachface died from surgery to repair a cloacal protrusion as a senior. Know that although I refer to my Peachface as "him," it was actually a female.
My Pineapple accepted him. But, RESEARCH shows that the Pineapple, though torn by size, will gravitate toward the Sun causing potential bird wars between the conures and the lovie. You can override this by placing the lovie and Pineapple cages in a separate area and treating them as equals. The Sun will become the "outsider" and should not be allowed direct contact with the smaller birds. Again, this is based on research from several sites, not experience!

Aubszoo

Moving in
Real Name
Auburnie
We got lucky and our sun and our green cheek have actually bonded. My understanding is it's not common at all. But they spend a good portion of the day grooming each other and snuggling with each other. We did follow the advice given above, they have thier own cages and they were slowly introduced, and had a 30 day quarantined time frame, but the cages have always been in the same room. We have at least one human in the room with them when they are out on the play pen we haven't ever needed it, I just don't want to take the chance. I hope they are able to have a great friendship with each other! Good luck!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
GCC's and Suns are often grooming buddies! Actually, you chose a perfect match! As anyone who has ever had GCCs or Suns has experienced, they spend most of their time grooming! Congratulations for using this to your advantage.

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Darn spell check! I meant that I have a lovebird and I have now a Sun conure. I was concerned that they may have issues but they seem to get along fine? Though... GoGo, my lovebird, is constantly trying to getting Africa's cage? Weather Africa is in there or not? I'm always with them but I don't know if this is a good idea or not? You know, person territory, etc.? I'm not that knowledgeable about birds to know if this is a no no of not? Help?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Suns are usually more curious than but not as intelligent as GCCs. That's one reason for putting the gym on top of the GCC's cage. That's also why a Sun and a GCC get along better than two GCCs unless raised together. It's actually the same with a Sun and a lovie. Just know that each is rather spastic!
It's always a thrill when two birds bond! I'm so happy for you! :joyful: