• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for a soon to be proud mama of a Quaker baby.

Riehs mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jamie
Hi all. I will be getting a male (likely blue) Quaker, hopefully in 4 weeks, but may be longer if neither or the 2 babies left are male. I've never had a Quaker, but have been reading about them. I do have a 5 year old Green Cheek so not a total parrot newbie. I have a cage but think I will trade or sell it and get one that has feeding doors and a playtop. What can I do to prevent cage aggression is it just being out a lot and being with me a lot? Also for those who managed to be potty train your quaker, what did you do, how long did it take? To encourage talking should anything be done besides talking to him? I am home all day, (disabled) so I know I can give enough love to both birds. what are some good bonding techniques? I picked my conure out weeks before he could come home, and visited him often, so he wasnt afraid when he was brought home. I wont be able to do that with the quaker, he is two hours away, what should I expect and do to decrease the fear of all the changes the firs? I read that they are big chewers, and nesters so what are the bests type of toys for them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do they go through any biting (or other) stages, best people food to start them off with. anything you think someone should know please tell me! I have researched this breeder and spoken to multiple people who have gotten quakers from her and I've heard nothing but great things about her and her birds. Thanks so much. Oh and would love fun name ideas for a blue male Quaker.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
We have had several quakers. Both green and blue. We loved them but ended up rehoming them because Georgia does not allow them in their state and we have a home in the North Georgia mountains and could not take them with us whenever we spent time up there from South Florida where we spend more time. They are great birds and easy to work with and train! Blue Quaker.JPG DSC06111.JPG DSC06205.JPG DSC06335.JPG DSC06207.JPG DSC06396.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have two quaker boys, Jingo and Bobber. I have had Bobber for 2.5 years and I have no idea how old he is. Jingo I have had for 7 years since he was a 3 month old baby.

They roll with change pretty good to be honest, especially as babies.

As for cage protectiveness, I have never been able to get rid of it. It's so ingrained into them, I think especially for the boys. I just learn ways to get around it, even if that means putting them in a carrier while I clean the cage. I respect their space, and I only work work with them outside of their cages.

They are definitely a "give an inch, take a mile" bird :lol: So boundaries for them from the beginning are good :)

They tend to be food motivated, so foraging toys are a really good investment, and mine love to undo quicklinks and knots; very mechanically inclined.

Here's our "intro to quakers" thread:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Quaker Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And here are some reviews by Jingo on some of the commercially available foraging toys: Pictures - Jingo is about to be really happy or mad... | Page 3 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Riehs mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jamie
Thank you so much! Whats the age of babies when the are normally weaned? If possible I would love to see yalls cage so i can see the type of toys I should get, Our bird store closed here, so I guess I need to go online, (really dont want to go to petsmart they are SO expensive) On his first few days what should our schedule be? is it better to leave him alone completely since he will be nervous? or give him love like he is use to? I saw him twice a week for a few hours from the time he was 4 weeks so it was a unique situation. I've read articles on both ways. Should I just let him choose by leave the cage open and if he seems like he wants to be with me let him? Oh and I keep seeing things about towel training, how do I go about that? just wrapping him in a towl like a baby or doing hide and seek? Do your quakers take showers with you? Rieh doesnt like running water so he never has. Also on a facebook group I was told it might be good to hold him some on the drive home since I want him use to a car rides eventually, and don't want him to think it is some big scary thing. Using a water bowl won't work on the drive should I get a water bottle or is there a better option? He will be on pellet food when get him, Ive been assured. how do I go about potty training? I couldn't with Rieh, he doesn't have a sign before he goes really, but he does his best to not poop on people. I figured I'd use the newspaper method and have a sheet of news paper near by instead of trying to teach him to only go in his cage or only when being held over a trash bin. My step mom's cockatoo will actually walk over to the newspaper and go on it, I'd love for him to learn that. What size perches are yall using?

Any tips to make the transition easier on Rieh my Green Cheek? I love him to death, but he acts more like a cat than a bird, he rarely wants attention, and would rather play with all of this toys or explore the house.
When he does want attention, (by attention I mean prune us, and I get him he seems to quickly go to my husband. I don't know if it's because my husband lets him push him around or if Rieh just likes guys more.. (even though I make his food, make his toys, let him eat off my plate and am a very well trained hooman) Every night my husband puts rieh to bed, but it takes about 10 minutes of Rieh acting tough, and I end up saying "Rieh, Bed Now." he looks at me, a He loves being out, but not necessarily with me (unless I'm outside, then he runs to the door and screams his little head off until I get him.) If he is on my shoulder or whatever the moment I sit, say on the couch, he hops off and goes to the other end of it. He isn't mean at all, I cant remember the last time he drew blood, and he will go to anyone, he just doesn't crave constant attention. I don't think it will be extremely hard to get them okay with each other (I don't mean best buds, I know if that ever happens it will take a good deal) since he isn't protective or possessive over me at all. I have a travel cage I can use for when I'm cleaning the cage.
Sorry about ALL the questions, I just am someone who researches as much as possible so I will likely drive everyone crazy in the month until I get him. and Bird Man Dan THANK YOU SO MUCH for ALL the Videos, I will be watching and bookmarking all of them. Oh and the Good, The Bad, and The ugly was the first thing I read it was very very helpful

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My quakers and conure never really liked anything from Petsmart lol. That's why I started my own bird toy business :p We have lots of great vendors here that do it much better and safer. List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I follow the bird's lead. Some birds are nervous and will appreciate being in the cage for a bit. Others will want to be out right away. Do whatever the bird and yourself are comfortable with.

We did peekaboo for the towel.

For the shower, my quakers refuse to take a shower with me. They prefer bowls or spray bottles, though occasionally Jingo wants a sink bath.

I keep the carrier on my lap for new birds, but they should stay inside the carrier. That is for your safety and theirs. A scared bird can make a very distracted driver.

I don't potty train because of horror stories with birds prolapsing or getting sick from holding it.

I use 3/4" perches up to 2.5". I also do a few flat perches.

I would start a new thread about your green cheek just so it gets more attention :)