• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saving Turtles

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Twice a year turtles start making the rounds both in May and in September. They are looking for water and that special turtle someone. And unfortunately, every year there are terrapin causalities on the roads.

An adult turtle can withstand just about any predator. What he/she can not withstand is a two thousand pound car going over them.

I have rescued about 17 injured turtles in four years, taken them to Wildlife Rescue, with the dismal outcome of being only four that made it.

I always feel so sorry for them because they are so slow.

Please folks if you see a turtle, see if you can pull over safely and get the little guy/gal off the road. Always keep them going in the same direction you found them.

And remember:
Be good to your terrapin friends,
cause that turtle could be somebody's mother. :)

Okay, that lost something. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My family has always pulled over to move turtles to safety. If possible we'll put 'em in the floor board (or trunk with the lid open if necessary) and bring them to the nearest water source, though I admit I don't know how territorial they are and always worry that my "new guy" or gal might be intruding, but I tell myself it's better than the road & that they'll work it out. :shrug:

And remember:
Be good to your terrapin friends,
cause that turtle could be somebody's mother.

:coffeescreen: Funny! But you're right, it does lose something! :justducky:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We saved an eastern box turtle a few weeks ago and a rough green snake (cutest thing ever) yesterday!
I had to look him up, but you're right, that snake is teeny & darling!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Sylvester great reminder. I don't see turtles that often. But when I do I always try to help them across. Painted turtles as fast little suckers though sometimes I think they better left alone. As whenever I've tried to help them they just turn around and run. So I'm not sure how helpful I was :(

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I had to look him up, but you're right, that snake is teeny & darling!
You got me looking them too :giggle: They are so cute

I wanted to take him home so bad! They are way cuter in person! My husband found him outside our work and I went into the field and wooded area behind it and released him

Sylvester

Hit the Road
My family has always pulled over to move turtles to safety. If possible we'll put 'em in the floor board (or trunk with the lid open if necessary) and bring them to the nearest water source, though I admit I don't know how territorial they are and always worry that my "new guy" or gal might be intruding, but I tell myself it's better than the road & that they'll work it out. :shrug:

:coffeescreen: Funny! But you're right, it does lose something! :justducky:

Yes, "Be good to your web footed friends for that duck might be somebody's mother" does sound better. :) Thank you for helping those slow pokes. That's a great idea to take them to the nearest water source. Never thought of that one before.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester great reminder. I don't see turtles that often. But when I do I always try to help them across. Painted turtles as fast little suckers though sometimes I think they better left alone. As whenever I've tried to help them they just turn around and run. So I'm not sure how helpful I was :(

You cared and that is more than some people feel. I have taken mine to my great grandfather's abandoned house and let them go on his land. There is a stream nearby and it is miles away from any busy road.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yes, "Be good to your web footed friends for that duck might be somebody's mother" does sound better. :) Thank you for helping those slow pokes. That's a great idea to take them to the nearest water source. Never thought of that one before.
It amazes me to see people TRY to hit turtles! Red neck life is strange. Luckily, we have lots of creeks and reliefs to move them into. I never considered whether or not they might be territorial. Does anyone know offhand?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It amazes me to see people TRY to hit turtles! Red neck life is strange. Luckily, we have lots of creeks and reliefs to move them into. I never considered whether or not they might be territorial. Does anyone know offhand?
I don't believe they are territorial, but you do have the males sometimes fighting, usually over a female.

A college student while working on his masters conducted a study of just that behavior a few years ago. He put a plastic turtle out on the side of the road with a camera nearby to see how many people would stop to help the turtle. What he didn't count on, (and it shock him to his core) was the large number of people that went out of their way to hit the turtle.

I want to conduct the same experiment, only this time making the turtle out of a very sharp rock.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
A college student while working on his masters conducted a study of just that behavior a few years ago. He put a plastic turtle out on the side of the road with a camera nearby to see how many people would stop to help the turtle. What he didn't count on, (and it shock him to his core) was the large number of people that went out of their way to hit the turtle.

I want to conduct the same experiment, only this time making the turtle out of a very sharp rock.
It doesn't surprise me. People here are just mean. With all the watering holes, the turtles are attracted to our area. That's good and bad for turtles. So remember, save a turtle before someone tried to hurt it!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It doesn't surprise me. People here are just mean. With all the watering holes, the turtles are attracted to our area. That's good and bad for turtles.

So many people are mean,..period. Don't know why and really don't want to know. Maybe it makes them feel big to pick on something so small and helpless.
Who knows with people.

"So remember, save a turtle before someone tried to hurt it!"

I agree, and I always do.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What he didn't count on, (and it shock him to his core) was the large number of people that went out of their way to hit the turtle.
That's just sickening :sad4: I've heard of some creeps doing that but large amount is just so disheartening. What the he!! is wrong with people:angry101:

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have helped a large snapping turtle cross the road once. Though it was so aggressive and so large, all I could do in the end was push him end over end into the pond with my boot... but he swam away no worse for wear.