• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am actually beginning to worry about her. She just called for me, but when I approached the cage, she went to her high perch and started the dance of death. I am having a very difficult time convincing her that I don't want to harm her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I dunno - I have a bird that was definitely hand fed by my friend, but she is afraid of EVERYTHING. It’s very sad, I talk to her and do all the things you’re supposed to and her cage mate is tame but she’s not having any of it.

Anyway, about opening the cage door. If her food is inside the cage, she is eventually going to go back in. So you might try letting her out, but OTOH the one I am telling you about (Star) will not go back in [there is food out though in my bird room] so I’ve had to catch her with a net a couple times. That doesn’t help at all with taming. This is my only one that does not go back inside the cage.

What is stopping you from target training?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I dunno - I have a bird that was definitely hand fed by my friend, but she is afraid of EVERYTHING. It’s very sad, I talk to her and do all the things you’re supposed to and her cage mate is tame but she’s not having any of it.

Anyway, about opening the cage door. If her food is inside the cage, she is eventually going to go back in. So you might try letting her out, but OTOH the one I am telling you about (Star) will not go back in [there is food out though in my bird room] so I’ve had to catch her with a net a couple times. That doesn’t help at all with taming. This is my only one that does not go back inside the cage.

What is stopping you from target training?
Yes, I will study target training and try that. But I have a feeling she will be scared to death of the target. Also, I have not yet found a treat that she loves enough to REALLY want it. Can I do this with her in the cage?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, in the cage is fine. I have a couple birds that are not treat crazy. One I found that praise (big praise, cheering and clapping!) is what she craves. The other, I don’t know the answer. Nothing works with that one.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes, in the cage is fine. I have a couple birds that are not treat crazy. One I found that praise (big praise, cheering and clapping!) is what she craves. The other, I don’t know the answer. Nothing works with that one.
Thanks for your honest assessment. I will try, but as you said, it may turn out that she is the type bird that just isn't interested. I just walked over to her cage and put some apple and berries in her dish and talked to her softly, but all I got was the dance of death. Definitely can feel discouraging.

I need to buy a clicker...

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Also, something else I am wondering about. I keep about 1/3 of the cage covered all of the time, and she spends most of her time in that part of the cage when I am home. Is this a bad idea? Should I uncover that cage all the way when I am at home?

Sorry about all of the questions! I enjoy hearing other opinions!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How interesting. She feels safe there?

I don't cover cages. Hmm. Maybe try uncovering it and see how she reacts....if it is too stressful leave it covered.

I do recall when Ernie first lived in my office, he seemed hypervigilant about what was going on outside. The cage was right by the sliders. So I started pulling the curtain half closed and he was happier. To me it's just the patio area but I think to him there are birds that fly over and when the wind blows things move, and even the pool water circulates so it is always moving.

The caiques' cages are there now and they like to look out sometimes but they aren't worried about it (currently they are in one cage wrestling).

I wonder also, since it has been a fairly short time since you got her - maybe she doesn't trust you yet? Next time she calls to you, walk over but then bow your head and stand still. See if she is responsive.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The caiques' cages are there now and they like to look out sometimes but they aren't worried about it (currently they are in one cage wrestling).

lol love that

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't give up. Just continue to be very patient. It can be discouraging but when that day comes that she wants you to be her friend it will all be worth it.
I have red-bellied babies who became phobic and wouldn't go near me or even come out of their cage for a few years. Then one day they suddenly came out of it although
Zack is still shy and skittish. He will come over to me to have his head scratched but when I clean up his cage he sometimes freaks out and then he won't come near me for several hours. He will not step up and if he has to be toweled he screams. He had a seed stuck on his head the other day and I tried to get it off but he kept running away. Luckily it finally fell off.
May be worth uncovering her cage and see how that goes.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thank you both for the encouragement. It is so good to hear.

I feel so bad for her because she is not getting the time out of the cage that she really needs in order to be happy. Also, no head scritches, showers, play time, or just contact with another living being! Birds live for that stuff!! I feel so sad for her!!! I also worry about her diet. As of now, the only thing that she will eat is Nutri-Berries and sunflower seeds. Awful. She won't even try anything else. Oh well, I don't want to rush her. I will just keep working with her as you suggested.

Thanks again!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Tonight I served her some chopped, steamed broccoli and some brown rice. No go. She wouldn't even try it Grrrrrrrrr.

Ended up feeding her some Nutri-Berries.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Would it be possible to hide a nutriberry under some of the other food? Then she'd have to at least taste it in order to get to what she considers "the good stuff."

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Would it be possible to hide a nutriberry under some of the other food? Then she'd have to at least taste it in order to get to what she considers "the good stuff."
Didn't think of that! Great idea. I will try that tomorrow.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Also, please repeat the foods more than 1 day - same food, same size, in the same bowl etc. Let her figure out it isn’t a monster.

Later you can change it around with no problem.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Don't be discouraged if you hit an obstacle - you're getting there. It's been a short time so far and a lot has happened, from her point of view. Hang on in there, she's a million miles away from where she was and that's great progress!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, just a second ago, she came down to the perch next to me and did the march of death with a few high-pitched squeals!! I think she is trying to chase me away so that she can sleep!!

That is rude!!!!!! :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Don't be discouraged if you hit an obstacle - you're getting there. It's been a short time so far and a lot has happened, from her point of view. Hang on in there, she's a million miles away from where she was and that's great progress!
Yes, you are right!! I will keep at it!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, I have been trying to interact with Mango a little more this morning, but she is absolutely terrified of me. She will come down at her regular feeding times to take food from my fingers between the bars, but then heads back up to her perch and does the death dance continually. I see what you mean about her looking "square" because her body looks like a solid, rectangular block as she does this dance/prance.

If I just sit at the computer and type next to her cage, she will sometimes come down to forage through her food bowl, but then goes back up to her high perch.

I have left the skewer that I am hoping to use to target train her with on the kitchen island next to her cage so that she will get used to it. Yesterday, it tried gently lifting it off of the table with my hand and she freaked out and flew across the cage and then wouldn't come near me anymore. I feel so bad for her. It must be awful to live in constant fear of everything.

I think we need to spend more time together so that maybe she can get more used to me. This is going to be a very loooooong, slow process.

Eventually, I am going to have to take her out of the cage so that I can clean the cage. Also, she will need to go to the vet. I have no idea how I would ever pull that off without destroying the tiny bit of trust that she might have for me.

As I am writing this, she just came down and is sitting quietly next to me. I have been talking to her and looking at her. She is looking intently back at me. I wonder what she is thinking!!!