• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peeps pulled off his claw!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cute canary with attitude...Sad he lost his nail & especially at the vets. They should be more careful.

Hopefully eventually he can grow a nail that the foot will support & not go thru this cycle again & again...Poor Peep.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Cute canary with attitude...Sad he lost his nail & especially at the vets. They should be more careful.

Hopefully eventually he can grow a nail that the foot will support & not go thru this cycle again & again...Poor Peep.
Thank you!

He's such a hardy and resilient little guy, but it would be great if he didn't have to go through this again. I wish there were more avian vets in my area! :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sadly all of his nail was yanked out the first time it happened. Your doggy's situation sounds TOO familiar. A tiny nail with brownish specks grew out from Peeps' toe and it looked so different from his healthy ones... :(
I shall include that when I call the vet tomorrow, thank you for sharing your puppy's experience. I hope he's doing well!

Out of pure curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how do you manage your dog's discomfort whenever his nail falls off?
I don't really do anything for him (except encourage him to lay down with a chew bone) as he gets really stressed if his feet get touched then he gets paranoid and starts licking them frantically which causes him more problems than the actual nail ever caused. He is a neurotic whippet. He does rest a lot more than usual for a day or two when it does drop out, I have also noticed he does not run around like a mad man in the yard when the nail first falls out.
When he first ripped it out he had a lot of trouble walking so he did not use that foot, he was taking anti-inflammatory and pain medication and also had the biggest wad of padding under a bright color bandage to keep him comfortable.....when the medication is not taking all the pain away for a dog, you know it hurts!

I really feel for your poor wee yellow speck of feather cuteness.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
when the medication is not taking all the pain away for a dog, you know it hurts!
Aw man poor guy... If only we could take tjat pain away--seriously!
Peeps still moves around but it's always worrying to see him on one leg :(
I finalltly called the vet today and they scheduled a courtesy check up for him. I hope vet can tell me if theres a way to manage the pain and prevent the risk of infections if this persists.

Also, he is an update on Peeps' foot:

Attachments

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He's got dowels in his cage, but he also does have some natural willow branches outside in his bookscase (he's out at least 5 hours during the day). It wouldn't hurt to get more :)
He sure has a great life with you. ♥ I love to see people also taking good care of the little birds too.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
He sure has a great life with you. ♥ I love to see people also taking good care of the little birds too.
He's family, so I try to do my best in hopes he can have a healthy long life with me

I'm also lucky to have found you guys because I can see you also take good care of your birds. Honestly, I'd be lost without without you guys! Thank you :)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
A quick update on the Peep!
I took him to the vet for the courtesy check up, and thw vet told me that he is healthy. I was told to simply keep watch on his foot and contact them asap if I notice anything odd.

Overall, it appears that Peeps is doing well! He's not picking on his foot, and I haven't seen him favor any foot either. :)
Snapchat-1601644722.jpg Snapchat-2003204309.jpg Snapchat-830131751.jpg Snapchat-1581459141.jpg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is so cute! ♥♥♥
And I'm so happy that he is fine again.:)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Canaries are cute little birds with major tude...& there song is nice too!

Glad his foot does not seem to be bothering him & nice of the vet to check him as they did injure him...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He is so beautiful.

My yellow hen is very similar to peeps, except her yellow is more pale. I’ll see if have a good picture.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
He is so beautiful.

My yellow hen is very similar to peeps, except her yellow is more pale. I’ll see if have a good picture.
Please! Id love to see a picture of her! :D
And thank you :bluhug:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
3rd pic up top where he is looking at you, 'okay mom, you ready, here I come!!'

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
For your viewing pleasure........

First up is a nameless hen, hatched in October.

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg

(all yellow except the dark around her eye....her "black eye")

Next are the 4 hatchlings. I only see one that has the crest (Corona). The others with no crest are called consort. You can tell at this age because the consorts have fuzz sticking out on both sides like a clown. IMG_9867.jpg

ETA the little hen is soooo lonely, and she hasn't taken up with a finch or anything. She flew loose in the aviary for weeks. I finally let her in with the parents and their babies.... so far there's been no bickering whatsoever. The parents take care of the babies and she happily hangs out with them.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
3rd pic up top where he is looking at you, 'okay mom, you ready, here I come!!'
Believe it or not he actually flew up my phone moments after I snapped that photo. :laughin:He likes pecking on the screen lol

For your viewing pleasure........

First up is a nameless hen, hatched in October.

View attachment 277409

View attachment 277410

(all yellow except the dark around her eye....her "black eye")

Next are the 4 hatchlings. I only see one that has the crest (Corona). The others with no crest are called consort. You can tell at this age because the consorts have fuzz sticking out on both sides like a clown. View attachment 277411

ETA the little hen is soooo lonely, and she hasn't taken up with a finch or anything. She flew loose in the aviary for weeks. I finally let her in with the parents and their babies.... so far there's been no bickering whatsoever. The parents take care of the babies and she happily hangs out with them.
They are both so pretty! I wonder theyre bigger than Peeps? Lol Any ideas on what to name hen #1? They both have such a gentle look in their eyes. :heart:

Wow the babies' must be growing fast! I hope you post an update on the babies! Id love to see them again all grown up :D

It sounds like you have a happy family, that's awesome!!! :ycanary:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think that Glosters are a larger size canary, but I am not sure as they're the only ones I've ever had!

I have no clue what to call the hen. There is just one hen, I showed 2 pics of her. She is very sweet. She chirps a lot and will fly all around, perch right in front of my face, etc. She hasn't landed on me yet.

The finches all have music names but not the canaries, her parents are Robin and Mama. Ideas??

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I think that Glosters are a larger size canary, but I am not sure as they're the only ones I've ever had!

I have no clue what to call the hen. There is just one hen, I showed 2 pics of her. She is very sweet. She chirps a lot and will fly all around, perch right in front of my face, etc. She hasn't landed on me yet.

The finches all have music names but not the canaries, her parents are Robin and Mama. Ideas??
Oh woops! My mistake lol
She is lovely and sounds so sweet!!! :heart: I bet she'll be perching on you in no time! I love the feeling of little bird feet running on me--the only risk is poop lol

The first thing that came to mind was Patch because of the patch of dark feathers around her right eye. Or Madeleine? Lemon Drop?? Or Sherbet Lemon....?? Fawkes??? :coffeescreen:

Glosters have the coolest hair lol