• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker and anger

TyTy9

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tyler
Hi I have a 4/5 month old Quaker named fluffy he was excellent with my 16 month old and 4 year old but today he was extremely violent. My 16 mo would just be sitting on the lounge and he literally ran from one side of the couch to her and bit her on her face. I then put him back in his cage, any help would be amazing

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please understand sometimes young children and parrots are a bad mix. I suggest you not have your children in the room when your bird is out of the cage.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He's maturing, perhaps feeling his oats, and viewing things and people differently. Maybe just a bad day. He 'may' view your daughter as a flock mate and did a play attack?
Jealousy may be brewing. For what ever reason, it happened. Many birds plain dislike little children when they're grown.

My adult Amazon wants to tear my 5 year old Grandson apart. As a baby bird though he got along with kids fine.
Children make quick, make funny movements, they're loud and do unexpected things. All stuff parrots don't like or take offense at.

I think you need to closely monitor your little one when your Quaker is out. Baby can also hurt the bird accidently if she rolls on him, or swats in defense.
Just not safe for either.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
For me, I find that my female Quaker can be nippy when she is going through the hormones season, if I am not paying direct attention to her, or if shes excited (I will have a dance party with my Quaker and Sennie, and inevitably, my Quaker will fly to my shoulder and give me a pinch on my face or neck if I dont have her step on my finger right away). When she is first let out of her cage, I engage her in some direct play and scritches, and since she was the first bird I adopted, I make sure she sees that she gets my attention first.

In addition, when my Quaker bites, I tell her verbally to "be nice" and will put her on her playstand for awhile, or if she is really crazy, in her cage for 5-10 minutes before letting her out again. It hasnt stopped her from biting me, but it does deter her somewhat. I also try to provide her toys and treats to occupy her if I have her out.

I agree with everyone else's advice that birds and small children need to be monitored when together. To help your Quaker and your kids to socialize, it may be helpful to just have them observe one another in the same room, and in the case of your 4 year old, to have him/her talk to the bird and offer the bird treats, like a sprig of millet, veggie piece, etc, under your supervision without petting or otherwise touching the bird. For our nieces and nephews, I explain to them that birds are scared if they move too fast and I will teach them how to put out their arm out for my bird to step up but I do not leave the bird on their arm for more than a few minutes, and then I will also provide my bird a treat for her good behavior. I will not do this, however, if I see my bird cowering to be closer to me or otherwise excited.