• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Response to: "Getting Another Parrot" Parrot Wizard Video

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
So this video was uploaded a few days ago, but I just saw it:

I don't always agree with the Parrot Wizard, but in this video he makes some really good points about what to consider before adding another parrot to the flock. I feel like this video is a really good, reflective tool for those who perhaps want to add another parrot to their life.

It certainly has got me reflecting on my own motivations for wanting to add to my flock. While I continue to plan on testing my patience (for at least six more months, if not for another year) before adopting another bird, I have wanted a third bird for at least two years now (I think). But why? Well, it certainly isn't because my two Indy and Buckbeak "aren't good enough" - they are so sweet, loving, curious, expressive and so, so much more. To say that they have changed my life for the better is an understatement.

And yet, I do plan on bringing another parrot into my life. Part of me wonders if it is because I didn't really specifically choose to have cockatiels - I saw that Indy and Buckbeak were being given minimal care, and I stepped up to become their new caretaker. They were rehomed to me. So sometimes I think there is a "what-if" factor - like "what if I had done all the research and gone to a rescue and let the bird pick me?" Honestly, I think I would have brought home a different species entirely. (Although now, thanks to my two tiels, I feel like I will always have cockatiels in my life! Even though I did not specifically choose cockatiels, they are so right for me in so many ways.) So I do think part of my desire for another bird is because there are so many species of birds that fascinate me. But then again, if things had happened that way, maybe I would not have brought home birds at all. They are a ton of work, after all. My fiance asked me the other day too, if it hadn't been for our current two cockatiels, would I have ever fallen in love with birds, and I honestly don't know how to answer that question.

More so that that, though, I think I want another bird because I know that there are so many birds in need of good homes. The times when I most feel the impulse to bring a bird home is when I stumble across a bird that has endured neglect or was dropped of at the pet store or is posted in a tiny cage on craigslist... That is when I most want to bring another bird in my life, and the only reason I have not yet done is is entirely because I always put my current flock and their needs and their time first. And while I see myself having the resources to maintain the care for my current flock and a third member in the near future, that circumstance has yet to be fulfilled. When it does happen, a new bird would mean an entirely new relationship to build up again - a new individual whose trust would have to be earned.

I'd love to hear your thoughts too, especially since so many people on here have multiple birds. Why did you choose to get another bird? What challenges has your new addition presented? Would you do it again, or, if you were to do it again, what would you do different? I'm just curious.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Don’t rock the boat. Let your cockatiels enjoy their peaceful life.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I like to think "you can't save them all" You can volunteer for a bird rescue instead.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
2 are my limit, but by volunteering at the clinic, I get my MBS fulfilled every other weekend. I would rather fulfill the need for another bird this way.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Just make sure your wanter doesn't want more than your needer needs! If it passes that test then I say go for it. We have a heck of a lot more than 2 though, so maybe my advice isn't to good!!!!! LOL

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
you can't save them all" You can volunteer for a bird rescue instead.
Adoption/rehoming has worked for me over the years. For many, adoption is difficult and some people don't understand that they're not getting a sweet, little breeder baby!
Honestly, working with multiple birds in a rescue will answer alot of your questions while helping an important cause.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
2ismy limit!

Wanted a bigger bird I could interactmore with as Rio just likes to be by himself & thats OK as he's not really demanding except he does like me to be around just not touch him.

Really had my heart set on a bronze wing pionus & almost added a baby but circumstances were not right.

Then Penny needed a home & I fell in love with her without even meeting g her as we sometimes do...

She is amazing...much different than my cbc RIO.

Tiels are great birds that can fit in anywhere with no special needs...Just go with the flow on the mellow side birds that can live a decent long time.

Can't compare to a grey or cockatoo or macaw but with them come all sorts of added responsibility & different needs.

Parrot Wizard is a controversial subject but guess he has a few words of wisdom up his sleeve...

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 6 and my girlfriend has 2, making for an 8-bird household. It got to 8 mostly because unwanted birdies needed homes. But there’s only so much we can do, and I have to sacrifice a lot to maintain my babies and keep them happy. They’re very expensive, of course, and consume a lot of my time and energy. I can’t say I’d necessarily have done it differently, but in the future, I will only have two or three. That way I’ll have more time and energy to care for them and myself, lol.

Also, leave enough room for your life to change/have some flexibility. You never know what the future will bring (more school time, social outings, travel, hobbies, partner, and so on).

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have several parrots and all need one-on-one attention. They don’t all get as much as I would like (thought hubby says we probably give them a lot more than most people!) My 2 tiels fly off if another bird wants on me so there’s that to consider, too— They won’t all necessarily get along. And most of mine are young, so I’m going to have ‘too many birds’ for years to come.

I also have a friend who says hers are literally lucky to get 10 minutes from her, because of how many she has plus “life” keeps her so busy.

So those are the challenges.

What I would do differently is stop when I had 6 finches and Ernie, and give him all the time and attention. Then rescue another and so on. I think I also had the 2 parrotlets then also but you see my point.

That said if your heart is really saying you want another bird......

Last edited: