• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long thread alert sorry

Cindyb0286

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cindy
Hi I'm not sure if I am in the right place but if someone could help me or tell me where is best to be please let me know. As some off you might know I have a lord derbyn parakeet called kiwi he is 5 and half months old. We have had him for 4 weeks now and is doing really well and slowly you can see he is trusting us a little each day but it is a little which I am expecting and respecting. Sorry if some off you have read my couple over threads but just want to let you know as much as I can about him and how long we have had him and update a few off you on how he is doing. I am quite new to this website and having a small parrot and feel a bit nervous sometimes writing anything. To keep it a bit shorter (even though we had a big step happen today and his wings are not clipped but i will share if anyone would like to know) I have been reading so much about having a lord derbyn but there isn't loads around about them but as far as I know he is a small parrot and from what I have read about most parrots they can eat herbs. So my question mainly is can my kiwi eat herbs if we grow them and what sort can he eat that won't harm or poison him. Also anyone who has a lord derbyn some feed back on your little companion would be very appreciated even though I know they are all different with there own individual personalities. Thanx in advance and sorry again for the long winded thread. X

Cindyb0286

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cindy
Thank you that is a great help. Specially from on AA where most people have got a lot of experience with all sort of parrots. Do you or anyone know if there is a certain amount that they can have a day or week. I will read up online too but want help from people that are doing it for there friend everyday and seems better coming from here then reading a web page that maybe someone will not have that much experience.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, when I first started giving my cockatiels I would mix tiny amounts in with their favorite veggies and world cuisines by Higgins. Personally I would chop the herbs as finely as possible let them try it in something they like. I also dry herbs for the winter for them too. My vet says no more then a small pinch to start them out. I also have tutorial on AA for drying let me find and i'll get back to you with a link.

Cindyb0286

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cindy
I don't know if I'm being a bit silly and not read through your information probably but can they eat it fresh or does it have to be dried. I would like to give him fresh once we have grown some but also wondered is the jar ones you buy from the supermarket are ok for them to have. He is only starting to take a bit of his pellet food mixed with his seed and and even though I have given him fresh fruit and veg everyday and he has only now started to eat some pepper and pear but he prefers the pepper for sure. Do I sprinkle the different herbs on the pepper that he likes and a bit in his food but pick different ones to see what he likes. Will it stick ok to his pellet and seed mix.Sorry there long questions and don't want to seem thick just want to give him the best we can.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It can be either way

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would only use organic grown if you buy from supermarket

Cindyb0286

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cindy
Ok that's great to know thank you very much. Will give him ago with some different herbs.