• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here's one for the experts

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I have my parakeets in one cage, and cockatiels in another in the same room. I open the cage doors and let the birds have free time together. Lately, the parakeets quickly fly to the cockatiel cage and set up camp. The cage bars are wider on the Tiel cage, and the parakeets can squeeze in and out of the bars, yet the door is wide open. Some will sit on top of the cage, some eat (same chop in their cage), and some just hang out on the perches and swings.
I rotate toys and perches between the 2 cages every few days. So what's the attraction? Why do the parakeets leave one cage only to go to another cage? Why don't they hang out on their own cage? Is it the wider bars? They know they can get out if they want to?? (Even though the doors are open)
They will fly over to me or on the bed sometimes, but just seem to love the tiels' cage.
Any ideas?
Below are the 2 cages, first is parakeets, second, cockatiels

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The grass is always greener :lol:

Jingo always immediately goes to Bobber's cage everyday to see if he has any goodies left or a toy he likes better. Even though they have the same food , etc.

AviMom

I kinda thought birds like freedom, they like to fly, they like to discover new things. My flock tends to like staying in, and watching tv, or sleeping. They're more like people really, lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
When I first started trying to get my flock to eat pellets, I had budgies. They refused to eat pellets completely - but my first conure (at the time) was eating the pellets as part of his diet. I let the budgies out and some of them enjoyed going into my conure's cage and eating his food... including the pellets. Wouldn't touch their own! They did eventually eat the pellets in their own cage!

They really do enjoy *other* locations that aren't their own. More interesting and fascinating that way!

AviMom

It's really kinda cute. I guess it's like us eating out maybe, lol. As long as they're enjoying their free time.
The parakeets have been much more out going lately. I think it's got a lot to do with their health. Most of the parakeets had their wings clipped when I got them. Since I startef feeding chop, their flight feathers have grown like crazy and they can fly really well now. They seem more confident? Less afraid of things because they know they can fly away. They're friendlier to me, landing, and playing on the perch and other places more.
I thought wing clipping was the best way to train new birds, but it' just a way of forcing them and controlling them. Healthy birds need to fly. It's what birds do, and they need to fly for their psychological health. It' up to us to build the trust, let them know we just want to be their friends, and caregivers. Friendships, even human friendships take time to establish trust, but the bonds we build, are strong given time. I'l never clip my birds.