• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Beak

Rusti

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rusti
:omg: My lil guy has a broken beak & won't be able to get him to a vet until in the morning. My husband came home and found Reno at the bottom of his cage and blood everywhere. The bleeding has finally stopped and was drinking water last night but this morning he isn't showing any interest, I was able to feed him some scrambled eggs during the night but he won't eat today. What can I do, I hate that there aren't any vets within 5 hrs distance that could see him on the weekend!! His poop still looks the same.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Keep him quiet & in a place where he can't get hurt further. Bleeding needs to stop. Water & eggs last night was good. Try some water today as mentioned in your other thread.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Do You have cayenne pepper at home? If you do-make a paste of it with some warm water and apply it to his beak to stop the bleeding/help with pain and give some antibiotic properties.If You do not have it-Please get some asap!
benefits of using cayenne pepper - Bing
Parrots adore chillies

You will have to offer him warm soft foods for quite awhile,as his beak will be sore for awhile.Warm oatmeal with some fruit flavored baby food(No salt or suger) warm sweet potatoes just to name a couple.Do you have or can you get parrot hand raising formula? That would be perfect for feeding him while he heals.Keep him warm and quiet until he sees the Vet! Please keep us posted on how he is doing:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do you have any pain killers appropriate for birds? If you have any metacam, your baby would really appreciate it.

Do you have a syringe that you can give him water and food with?

That's a pretty badly broken beak and does need immediate vet care.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
That is a pretty bad break, do you have any idea how might have happened? Anything in his cage that might pose a danger? I've seen birds that have chipped the tip of their beak because of a landing on a hard floor but it seems that what you have would require a lot more force and momentum than what he can generate in his cage. Any thoughts?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I would have some baby hand feeding formula on hand just in case the homemade stuff doesn't work out. He's been on hand-feeding formula before and should recognize it as food.

He's certainly in a lot of pain and will likely seem disinterested in everything for a while. I feel so bad for him (and you, its hard to see them in pain), an avian vet is in order ASAP.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I'm so sorry for him and you!... I can't imagine what you are going through. I would purchase the Bird Builder from Harrison's to keep his immune system strong until he's able to eat like he should, I know it's going to take awhile.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
What happen with your baby?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Reno doing?

Goodegg

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
wow ! poor baby ! I think offering the scrambled eggs was a great idea... maybe even do a poached egg and offer the soft yolk liquid to him. Give him room temp water....I would think super cold would cause him some discomfort. .. My goodness, that looks painful... I hope he is ok. Please keep us posted.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
Will you please tell us what happened with Reno?

Roy666

Checking out the neighborhood
How is Reno doing? Please update